chain Lube

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
clack

chain Lube

Post by clack »

Anyone ever use litium grease for chain lube? I was wondering if its a)really suitable and b)cost effective.

Thks.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Not really suited for lubing chains - other than it's a grease.

Likely to get fling onto tyre edge which is less than ideal :?

I've found that Wurth High Performance Dry chain lube is 'probably' the best. Certainly get zero 'fling' like you still get with others that claim they don't.

It's certainly not the cheapest on the market, but well worth (wurth :lol: ) the money IMO.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... od/80/3586

(maybe cheaper elsewhere on the net - just first Google link I found)

Motul also do a good lube, which is cheaper, but still a little 'flingy' by comparison. The beauty of this though, is that you can get it in a nice small can which is ideal for popping under the seat for emergency 'boredom set in' lube jobs while away.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-951-motul-c ... hains.aspx

Pretty sure we (FirestormUK) get a reduction at Opie oils too :)

HTH

Rossi, really messes with your mind!!!!! Muaahahahaha

adfski

Post by adfski »

Agree 100% Wurth High pref dry lube (make sure it the right stuff!)

Looks after your chain (2 years and counting) Doesn't need constant lubing and whilst it is expensive to buy you won't go through as fast or be cleaning it off everything.

Don't pay more than a tenner inc postage.

This guy has good price and service

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0057081831
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
bikerpiker

chain oil,grease ,lube

Post by bikerpiker »

Right ,here goes :!:
I purchased my bike roughly 1 year ago,(ebay 2nd chance offer) when i bought it the chain was at half a segment off the Max adjustment indicator, infact i got a bit deducted off the price cos of that :!:

i have done roughly 2,500 miles and i swear not once have i had to adjust the chain. It still feels exactly the same amount of free play at mid-point as it was when i bought it.

I've got 3 cans of various half used chain lubes on the shelf in my garage,but dont use any of it,,, since i bought the 'storm i use.......wait for it.................... Castrol GTX ,which i put on with a paint brush when the chain is rotating :!
Strange but true :!:
clack

Post by clack »

I've used Mobil 1 sparingly on my last few bikes and it works a treat, don't put too much on and you don't end up spraying the underneath of the seat and tyre. Consequently chains and sprockets last forever. I have been averse to sticky chain lubes as I find that they end up attracting grit and road cak which you then have to clean off! Seems oxy-moronic. I only asked about the grease as I have some and I can't see it getting used much otherwise. Thanks.
adfski

Post by adfski »

don't even know what lithium grease is? anyone?

The brushing on oil method is fine (and bloody good value for money) but I guarantee the wurth stuff is cleaner, less hassle and does the job as well. It actually cleans sh*te off the chain as you apply it as it is basically a dry powder lube in a solvent. As you spray it on it washes away any grime and leaves a very thin residue.

I'm not a salesman for the stuff but I am very lazy when it comes to bike maintenance. Not adjusted my chain for over a year either! Says a lot for the storm and the lubes! :D
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
pariah

Post by pariah »

I,ve been brought up to use copper grease.
My dad used to be a hgv mechanic and swore blind by it. every thing dissmantled went back together with this stuff on it. never had any probs when coming round to dissmantling it again. Seem to last for years .
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

...tis also Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube for me every time :)
fishface

Post by fishface »

wurth dry lube me also :wink:
lee67

Post by lee67 »

chain lube wtf is that???????............SHAFT DRIVE FOREVER
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

your right :!:

had 2 many moons ago :lol: , GS650 kat ,and GS850.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Lee 67

Oh yes. Shaft drives aren't a problem.................... unless they do this which was a seize up!!!!

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

As long as this doesn't happen either :!: Its maybe a right old one thats been to the moon twice :lol:

RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

pariah wrote:I,ve been brought up to use copper grease.
S'pose it works, but can't see the point, might as well use Lithium or just any old grease.

Idea of copper grease is to stop steel bolts ceasing up in aluminium casings etc. Chemical reaction between the 2 metals, that's not going to happen on a chain :?