Water (coolant) leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stevep

Water (coolant) leak

Post by stevep »

G'day from OZ,
Is it a common problem to have a small coolant leak from the small front facing hole near the top of the water pump. I have just bought a '97 VTR Firestorm, and have this problem. The amount of coolant leaking is very small but it shows up on the casing and runs down the side. Other than this, the bike is in great condition, looks and sounds fantastic. Please help.
Cheers, Steve.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Mine has been suffering from the same over the summer. It would only happen when I was really gunning it. I've never had a problem with it loosing oil and my coolant is clean so I don't really think it is much of a problem. The water pump seal is just doung it's job.

I notice that later bikes have a drain pipe attached there the hole is on earlier bikes. I guess that Honda have put it there so that if anything does come out it doesn't cover the clutch cover.

From what I can tell it's a workshop only job to replace the seal so I'd just keep an eye on it your fluid s for both level and contamination.

Having said that, as my bike is in the shop at the moment having the engine rebuild I've asked them to replace the seal anyway.

Alan.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Alan,

that hole is between the water seal and the engine, if it comes out of the holes then the seals nacked, definately get em to change it.

BTW, how much they charge for an engine rebuild and are they doing everything or what, shells, etc.

Del.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

delmeekc wrote:Alan,

that hole is between the water seal and the engine, if it comes out of the holes then the seals nacked, definately get em to change it.
Water pump seal now changed. The seal itself is about £45 + labour. They have to take the clutch cover and waterpump off so the oil and coolant will need drained, hence why I got it done at the service when they were doing that anyway.
delmeekc wrote:BTW, how much they charge for an engine rebuild and are they doing everything or what, shells, etc.
2* Valve Guides, 2* Valve stem seals, head gasket, Tensioner lifter assembly, tensioner gasket, 2 * inlet valves + labour.

Price (with discount) £400 inc VAT & labour. (a lot less than I expected seing as they had the bike for over 3 weeks )

I must say that after the work and the service the engine feels stronger than ever.

Al.