starter motor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
man from africa

starter motor

Post by man from africa »

three times this week bike would not turn over.i was suspecting a dud battery because i would jump her from a battery pack.went down to local dealer toldhim the symptons and he took the bike in the workshop.10 minutes later he came out and told me the bike was holding its charge but the starter motor was knackered.what i know about bike mechanics is not a lot but if your starter motor is knackered can you still start it off a battery pack.am i being fobbed off or is he correct in is diagnosis.any help greatly appreciated because i dont want to have to replace parts that dont need replacing
rhodesians never die,pasi ne mugabe
John Head

Post by John Head »

Hi, man from africa. I had loads of problems starting mine. If left for the weekend, the motor would happily spin the engine, but not start it. Eventually, after a new battery under warrenty and various "look ats", it was found that the connector post of the starter motor was corroded through (practically hanging off). My dealer was kind enough to repair by stripping another starter motor and making one good one from the two, saving me loads of money. I subsequently found out (from this site) that this is a common problem. Mine has been perfect since. Search this site for loads of help on this and many other 'storm idiosyncracies! :D
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Nick,

No mate, if your starter is goosed you won't start her with a battery and jump leads.

Did mechanic give any indication what he thought was wrong with starter?

I know you said it wouldn't turn over, what are the symptoms you're getting?

Is there no life at all from motor?

Are you getting a click from the starter relay but nothing from motor?

Is starter relay 'chattering'?

Is starter turning but not enough to start engine? Sluggish etc

As John has mentioned a common problem is corroded positive terminal on starter under the rubber cap (if it still has one).

A still more common problem is that the nut on the terminal becomes loose, (hr) preventing full current flow into the motor - the nut on end of terminal and the bolt that protrudes from motor housing need to be tight.

If the motor is turning OK but terminal is shot, it can be fairily easily remedied using a replacement 10 or 8mm (whichever) bolt slightly modified with grinder or file to fit on motor housing. End of starter motor will have to be removed to do this, but not a big procedure.

Give us the symptoms as best you can, we may be able to help save you some dosh.

Not heard of a starter motor going on a Storm but always possible I suppose.

See these 2 recent threads which may shed light...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 91&start=0

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 93&start=0

HTH

Graeme.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

FooK!!!! :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:

I am not going to edit my post :x

Yeah that as well Nick :oops: :oops:

What's this ???? catch RSV out day or what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FooK
man from africa

thanks for your replies to my problem.the first time it happened the bike was completely dead .took the bus to work and when i got home i tried her and she started on the button first time.next morning fine,but when i finished work she started first time then cut out about 5 seconds later.borrowed battery pack and she then started.third time exactly same symptons.i always keep her charged up on optimate.whilst i have been having these problems on the odd occasion i have been feeling a noise directly under my seat like a click noise.she never cuts out on the motorway or whilst riding.hope this helps further
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

Nick,

Initial thoughts are with a loose connection somewhere, battery terminal(s) / positive terminal on starter motor or indeed the 'post' itself.

Check these are nice and tight if you haven't already.

You can, to prove if starter relay or the positive lead to starter have a problem, put a jump lead onto positive terminal of battery and then (rubber cap pulled back) touch it onto the starter motor 'post'. This should turn the starter as if button has been pressed. I that works then you know your starter motor is probably OK, then you either have a problem with the lead, starter relay, or the wiring to it from starter button.

Check these and report back mate.
man from africa

many thanks for your advice red storm.did everything you said.lot of corrosion around rubber cap area.cleaned and tightened everything yesterday.did a lot of stop go riding this morning and touch wood everything alright.my old mans a retired sparky so will get him to check everything with is voltmeter tonight.once again many thanks.people like youself are an asset to this forum
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If water has got past the rubber boot and connector then all there is a composite washer protecting the starter motor internals.

My starter slowly wenty like yours a few winters ago and I thought it was the battery just straining in the cold.

Eventually the bike wouldn't start and the old starter was beyond repair due to internal corrosion. Now I keep the replacement 2nd hand motor protected by regularly greasing underneath the rubber boot.
bikerpiker

Starter motor cable

Post by bikerpiker »

After reading about folks starter motor positive lead/conector rotting away,and causing big problems,i thought i'd peel back the rubber protective boot to have a look,ahhhhhhfek,the actual terminal and cable was ok,just the nut was rusted away.

When i scraped it and wire brushed it,the nut had no corners left,and i just couldnt get a socket to get a grip at all.

Was goin to give it a heat with a blowtorch,to try to free off the nut,but decided against it,cos its quite a big spread of flame .

I tried hitting a smaller socket onto it ,but it slipped off as soon as applied any pressure ,after about 20 mins i thought,sod it,i'll sort it another time,but obviously i couldnt tighten back up onto connecter, cos nut was buggered.

I decided to chisel nut off, but noticed nut would turn a small bit after each hit with the sharpened screwdriver,so persevered and eventualy got it off :!:
Better having a bit of hassle in the garage,than failed connection miles from home :!:
Ps,i dont have any vaseline or petroleum jelly ,is it ok to smear some copper grease in under the boot instead :?: :?:

The offending item , and deff worth checking ,it came off in 2 parts you can see in pic,not sure if it was a nut and washer,or part of the nut :!:

Stevie
RedStormV

Re: Starter motor cable

Post by RedStormV »

bikerpiker wrote: Ps,i dont have any vaseline or petroleum jelly ,is it ok to smear some copper grease in under the boot instead :?: :?:
That's fine Stevie, anything that will repel water, general purpose grease, lithium grease whatever you've got.

Ideally it wants to be something that is heat resistant, just so it doesn't melt and disappear on you.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Good stuff :!: Copper grease it is then ,cheers :)
Stevie