First start after 9 months

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmcq

First start after 9 months

Post by pmcq »

Hey guys, hope ye all are well.

I've been away travelling for the last couple of months so in the last few days I've been working on the Storm to try and get it running again...

I've checked the plugs, oiled the choke cable and popped a bit of engine oil into the cylinders for lubrication.

I hit the starter earlier and it is starting on full choke... it sounds healthy enough but then seems to wind down and eventually stop. If I give it a bit of throttle most of the time it stops.

I decided to chance my arm and use the fuel mixed with some fresh stuff and I guess maybe thats the problem. I also drained the carbs before I left, but I suppose it wouldnt be any harm to clean the them out...

Any suggestions/tips appreciated.

pmcq
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would be inclined to think as you say, that the old fuel mixed with the new isn't helping matters :!:

If that doesn't sort it out I'd take it for a good ride,

Chris.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Cheers Chris. Yea will rip out the carbs and give them a good clean and replace the fuel. Hopefully that will sort things out. It was only when I started the bike up after 9 months that I realised how much I missed it! :D

Actually one thing I did notice was putting my hands up to the exhausts one seemed to be running hotter than the other so I'm sure they are in need of a balancing. My mate has loaned me a Carbtune so will make use of it.

Thanks.
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

pmcq wrote:Actually one thing I did notice was putting my hands up to the exhausts one seemed to be running hotter than the other
Thanks.
I hope thats normal cos both my storm & SP do that :?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

It is normal.
Rich.

pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Great - thanks cupa. Any idea why that is?
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

It was the same with my Triumph, it had a four into two exhaust.

I noticed especially in winter when the exhaust gases were more noticeable starting form cold, that 1 silencer had very slightly more fumes coming out of it 8O .

Also , if i held my hand over the end of the can ,it was very slightly hotter than the other side :!:
Stevie
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I thought this thread was going to be about someone being allowed out for their first ride after a pregnancy or something... lol
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?