Carb Problem - Different Sized Diaphrams

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmcq

Carb Problem - Different Sized Diaphrams

Post by pmcq »

Hello All,

Strange problem here and it is more to make sure I am not going mad. :)

I decided to give my carbs a clean last night. All went well - all disassembled and cleaned. However, on reassembly, of one carb diaphragms seems to be smaller (approx 1 mm less diameter) than the other. The bigger one dropped straight on and fitted perfectly. The second one (rear carb) wouldnt fit properly and I spent about an hour trying to get it to fit by stretching (they dont stretch much), an eventually putting a few small dabs of grease on the rim (oh er missus :lol: ). I am probably going to order a new diaphragm. I should have taken a pic but I have it all back together. Any ideas? Did the later VTR's have different sized carbs by any chance? Mine is the older model. If I take them out again I post a photo. I have yet to start the bike so fingers crossed it is sealed.

Cheers.
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi PMCQ,i had fun & games with that yesterday after noon,firstly started off with the tricky one,gave it about 15 mins,trying very gently to stretch it,no luck,back was starting to hurt so had to find something to sit on,then gave the other carb a go,one was definatly tighter than the other,But it did go on in the end,some VERY gentle coaxing with a small flat screwy,the trap it with carb top before it changed its mind.
I knew i got it wrong first time cause slider just dropped with a thump(no dampening)after being lifted in comparison with the other one.
Good luck