Bike Plans

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Geordie

Re: Bike Plans

Post by Geordie »

just thought Id reply here,

I have been in touch with Mario in the last few days and he has been very helpful and replied very quickly .. He still makes the fairings, race versions, fibre glass and carbon / kevlar...
Looks like the cost is just over 500 quid for the whole front fairing setup using standard mounts, made in fibreglass, inc delivery, inc mounts and extra brackets where necessary.

For me it looks like its the best solution for a repsol livery as there is a lot for fairing to make it look a bit better. What I want to find out next is the quality of the fairings, how well they do fit, how thick the fibreglass is, etc .. ?

Has anybody bought or had a chance to look more closely at these fairings ?

Cheers

George
forde

Post by forde »

that would be good id love to see a repsol vtr

@ bealsey wat bellypan is that in the pshop or did you just make it
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geordie wrote:just thought Id reply here,

I have been in touch with Mario in the last few days and he has been very helpful and replied very quickly .. He still makes the fairings, race versions, fibre glass and carbon / kevlar...
Looks like the cost is just over 500 quid for the whole front fairing setup using standard mounts, made in fibreglass, inc delivery, inc mounts and extra brackets where necessary.

For me it looks like its the best solution for a repsol livery as there is a lot for fairing to make it look a bit better. What I want to find out next is the quality of the fairings, how well they do fit, how thick the fibreglass is, etc .. ?

Has anybody bought or had a chance to look more closely at these fairings ?

Cheers

George
The only guy I know who had Mario Nava fairings etc was Daz (Stormsmasher) but there are probably others, iirc Daz highly rated his bodywork for the Firestorm and I'm sure he found the seller very good to deal with.

I'll email him and ask him to comment on this for you. In the mean time you can have a look at his bike when he'd fitted Mario's fairings etc. His bike has changed from this look now, but I thought this guise looked wicked, as they say in the good old USA, Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your bike George with Mario's fairing and a Repsol paint/graphic's job should look awesome too IMHO :thumbup:

Chris.
forde

Post by forde »

Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Cheers guys,
fairings look great, wheels are awesome ! is the fibreglass quite think / stiff or quite thin and wobbly ? Looks like they may be quite strong looking at those pics..
I just dont want to spend the money buying them and spraying them to find a year or two later the mount holes have 'ovaled' or cracked due to the plastic moving about a bit ..

Other thread has the ebay link to a Repsol firestorm for sale in Devon right now .. also looks quite good ..

G
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geordie wrote:Cheers guys,
fairings look great, wheels are awesome ! is the fibreglass quite think / stiff or quite thin and wobbly ? Looks like they may be quite strong looking at those pics..
I just dont want to spend the money buying them and spraying them to find a year or two later the mount holes have 'ovaled' or cracked due to the plastic moving about a bit ..

Other thread has the ebay link to a Repsol firestorm for sale in Devon right now .. also looks quite good ..

G
George, the bodywork that Daz had on his bike in the pic's is made from Carbon Fibre, which as you probably know is very strong (and light) so doesn't need to be over thick.

I did email Daz as I said I would, but I've not heard back from him yet,

Chris.
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

Sorry guys but I have not been on here for ages, I got the message from Chris but I was in Mexico for Xmas so there has been a little delay getting back to you.

So Mario Nava fairings.........what can I say, oh yes....bloody great!

Looking at those pictures it takes me back to 2003, I think that was about the time my bike made it into a few of the bike mags... the bike has had a few changes since then and now lives as a streetfighter (has been since feb 07).

I had a full fairing and seat unit from Mario from way back in 2002 and have to say the quality was really good, you can tell they make all their stuff by hand and a lot of care goes into making their products.

As Chris pointed out mine were made in carbon fibre, well I suspect more like standard glass fibre with an outer skin of clear gel coat carbon! It fitted perfectly came with clear insturctions and was very strong, would I buy one again....you bet I would!

I got bored with the fairing look years ago but still have a Mario single seat unit fitted, I have had an 08 R1 back end for over a year now and will get round to fitting it on day but the Mario rear end was always a good fit and looked great on the VTR.

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the VTR fairing, I will try my best to help.

Daz
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

Forgot to mention, here is how the bike looks these days.

Oh and a nice one from this years Isle of Man

Daz
bealsey

Post by bealsey »

Well here it is so far, just started putting the underslung exhaust on, just need to find a headlight i like now!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bealsey wrote:Well here it is so far, just started putting the underslung exhaust on, just need to find a headlight i like now!

Just my opinion, but that can's gonna drag real easy....

You'll have Harleys going round the outside at Druids!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bealsey

Post by bealsey »

Hello again people, thought I had better leave an update!! Pissed the misses off though, had to start her with no exhausts, she came running into the garage saying the whole upstairs room was vibrating!!
Had a change of heart with the Duke rear end, been done a bit too much, and wanted to keep it all Honda, Now got Honda CBR600rr rear end. A Few pics so far!

I have decided to leave the side rads too as i like them and part of the Storm style, going to paint them black, probably paint it Satin Black and Ford dark aubergine! Let me know what ya all fink!
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

:thumbup: SSSWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT :thumbup:

I like that a lot..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beasley,
It's coming on a treat :thumbup:

Chris.
bealsey

Post by bealsey »

Cheers mate, need to do the final push now and get it finished for the good weather! I have not ridden this bike yet so looking forward to it!!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

yeah me too .. getting wheels painted and on the verge of ordering mario fairings unless snybody has used / second hand ones .. ?
Was going to ask for some advise about paint spraying. I have done this before with sometimes good results so as a trial to making a better job i have bought some proper paint from bike paints and a decent moisture trap regulator for our compressor, just need a decent spraygun HVLP or normal ? going for gravity version. Does anybody a bit more experienced at paint spraying have any good advise / tips on doing a spray job.
Do I spray each area that is to be a different colour finish with its own basecoat and primers, etc or can I spray the whole panel the base colour (blue) then make the outlines of my design and spray over the general bike colour with the other colours ??
Decals over the topcoats before sealing the whole lot with how many coats of laquer ??
I have an etch primer to put over the bare plastic / fibreglass, how many layers of primer should i put on top of this before base / top coats ? gievn the panels are new and smooth .. ?

Cheers

George