New airbox snorkel mod

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Re: New airbox snorkel mod

Post by Kev L »

Just a thought but couldn't you use a couple of 1/2" tank connectors into the air box then run 15mm copper or plastic through to the fairing intakes then add 22mm to 15mm reducer on the end to increase the intake? Just a thought.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok.
The benefit of ram air is twofold.
1. to get cold steady undisturbed air into the airbox, and
2. to increase airbox pressure above atmospheric.

Your additional plumbing might add some cold air, but plumbing fittings are designed to pass volumes of slow-flowing water, and any eddy currents produced don't matter.
This isn't the case with air into an airbox.
With regards to point 2, with additional entry points you may introduce air, but any extra pressure is lost back to atmosphere through the normal snorkel.
Think about a bath filling via taps, and reaching the point where it's nearly full and water flows down the overflow into the drain.
Adding more water with a bucket, even with the taps still full on, still doesn't make the level of water any higher; it just flows away just the same.
Atmospheric pressure in the airbox is the equivalent of water level in the bath in this example.

In order to achieve higher pressure, without resorting to a turbo or supercharger, you need a closed system, with only points of entry in the cold, smooth air at the front of the bike.
But all of the pipework needs to be of large enough cross-sectional area in order to flow at least the amount of air that goes into the snorkel, and so the tubes need to be of a fair size, probably 60mm diameter or so?

Bigger than the intake stack trumpets, anyway.

And all of the bends and joints need to be slippery and smooth, or you'll just introduce turbulence.

I think that it can be done; using one of two methods.
1. Moriwaki ram air tubes, or similar, entering the airbox above the filter but requiring a cut-out under the tank edges to get in there, or
2. Using the triangular intakes at the front of the fairing, routing the air back through the fairing sides (which would need to be properly sealed), then making a section that routes the air into the airbox via the triangular gaps in the trellis fram near the headstock.
The one on the left can be freed up by removing the front coil, easy if you've done the coil over plug stick coil conversion, but the RH side is trickier, as you have to re route or seal around the throttle cables.

But I'll get round to method 2 one of these days, been talking about it long enough. :think: :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

tony.mon wrote:
Vtrkidda wrote:Cant you just run a seperate cold feed pipe along side this snorkle thing
using a bit of flexi pipe with a air intake to the front of the bike ,like a cold air feed kit for a car :thumbup:

It Must do the same job after all your just putting more air into the box :confused

Im not on about a big masive pipe just a smaller air feed thingy majig
Give it a try....
How are you going to connect it to the snorkel?
How are you going to route it?
I was only asking :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :lol: :thumbup:

Just a thought might try see what or if I can do something :thumbup:
Loud pipes save lives!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks for breaking it down to layman terms Tony. It really does seem like a massive minefield, with the probability of it all going horribly wrong. Are the rewards great enough, should it be proved possible, to warrant the work involved? In an ideal world where the sealed airbox is achieved (nirvana) what gains would be expected?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

The gains from ram-air, while definitely worthwhile (why else would all modern sportbikes use it?), only become useful/significant at fairly high speeds. In other words, a track or race bike would surely benefit from it (the faster you go, the more power gain you get), but most of us living far away from the Autobahn would likely lose our driver's licence in short order trying to harness the benefits on the street..... sure is nice to dream about it though (ram-air).....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No offence meant, Kidda, I've been thinking about something like this for ages and just putting on some bits of pipe isn't going to work, it's a fair bit more complicated was what I was trying to get over.

Apollo G.

UPDATE:
Fitted the one in the pics I converted onto my bike, and took it out for a test ride.
Feels fine, not noticeably better, but no worse, so it's not going to be a miracle +5bhp sort of a mod, but all of these things add up, the cumulative effect is good.
Next time I'm on the dyno 'll do some back to back runs trying different airbox mods; mine, Mik_str's two 1" holes lid, against a standard one.
Last edited by tony.mon on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

I know that matey just messing with you ,after all from your posts you know these bikes inside out :thumbup:
:wink:
Loud pipes save lives!
lloydie

New airbox snorkel mod

Post by lloydie »

I've been playing with my spare air box today lol
Do you think it will work ?
I used a strip of aluminium in the snorkel to give it back some strength
It's not finished yet ImageImageImage
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

So this "Air Box mod" is it realy woth doing? (please excuse my ignorance only just got my hands on her) :oops:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

An interesting topic Tony :clap: keep up the good work guy's :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As I've said, it may help, but no seat of the pants extra power noticeable installing and riding the bike, sadly.
I plan to carry out a dyno check in a few weeks, and will compare std to my enlarged volume one (took out all of the internal pipework) and also against this lid/snorkel mod.

But nice job, Lloydie.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tony, It'll be interesting to hear what the dyno has to say with the different air box options. Fingers crossed for you it does make a difference :D

Chris.
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

What about a full billet snorkle with billet fancy stacks :clap: :clap: now thats a task :thumbup:

Polish them as smooooooooth as poss for a better flow , :p
Loud pipes save lives!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Vtrkidda wrote:What about a full billet snorkle with billet fancy stacks :clap: :clap: now thats a task :thumbup:

Smooth?
I refer my learned friend to the humble golf ball, and its dimples......
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:
Vtrkidda wrote:What about a full billet snorkle with billet fancy stacks :clap: :clap: now thats a task :thumbup:

Smooth?
I refer my learned friend to the humble golf ball, and its dimples......
you git i just had to look that up :crazy:
http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Sports/ins ... lf-01.html