Black Storm rising

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
VTRDark

Re: Black Storm rising

Post by VTRDark »

Is it possible to attach crank pins (well, now I am lost with the language, anyway the part what is between piston head and crankshaft) without splitting the engine? So from bottom somehow? All advices on that would be welcome.
Are you referring to the connecting rod, the long bit that connects to the crankshaft one end and the piston the other. Or are you referring to the Gudgeon pin, which is the pin that attaches the piston to the connecting rod? Image

By the sound of it you want to slide the pistons into the cylinder up through the sump. I'm not sure if the piston will get past the crankshaft. I would have thought that would be in the way. You could change the big end bearings from the bottom. Why don't you want to remover the head (top end) off. Surly if the engine is out of the bike this would be simple and it gives you the chance to check the valves and things.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The piston and connecting rod assembly has to go in form the top, so the heads have to come off.
You can just about do up the big end bearings through the sump if you take the oil pump out.
But it's hard to get a good angle with the 12 point socket that they need, and torque it correctly, although I've done it once before.

Splitting the cases is the only way to replace the main bearings and transmission bearings, if you're going to do it I'd suggest that you do it propelry and replace everything.
You don't want to do a lot of work and then have to take it all apart again a week or two later.

And it's a lot easier to work on the engine once it's on a bench, rather than trying to get in form underneath.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Well here we go!

I actually finally started the work. Not much really. I cleaned a table to work on and got the cylinder heads out from the boxes to see the damages.

From the piston you can see the muck between the piston rings and piston head. So no wonder compression was gone.

I'll change the technical discussion under the technical discussion and continue here only with the work updates.

Poor Stormy is in a rather bad shape at the moment, but it shall rise again. Like a Feenix from ashes!
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Yesterday I took the cylinder heads to tooling. Valves need to be cleaned and new seals installed.
I assume this means that I need to adjust the valve clearance once the engine is almost back in one piece. Well, that will be later problem.
The workshop promised them to be ready "this month"... Well, they could have said "this year"... 8O

I guess I was lucky anyway. (they had at least 4 truck engines tooling before me. Line 6, 4 valves each...)

Today I started to split the engine. Not much luck there. Plenty of bolts removed, but the fight is not even half won.

More installation liquid needed. :beer:
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Well, now I truly pimped Storm's clutch.

You know, it is bit heavy so I decided to lighten it up a bit:

:x :x :x :x :x :x
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

That's not good ... You'll be needing a new basket now then
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Did you try and undo the center nut without using the proper clutch holding tool? :(
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Do you need one?
I have several spares.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

The next problem arrives.

Now it really seems that it would have been cheaper to buy new engine.

I got a call from the workshop doing the valves... They are bended. So the CTT has failed earlier. Not sure if now with my driving, or have they failed with the previous owner... But since the pistons seem to be ok, it indicates that this has happened for the previous owner.

And this is very likely part of the cause...

Well, now I need to start hunting new valves... Any suggestions?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

benny hedges is selling a front cylinder head for £70, give him a shout, not sure about postage tho.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26705
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

It seems that my Saturnalia present arrived a bit late.

But I finally got the damned clutch basket open! I only needed to bolt the engine back to frame, get the clutch basket holding tool, make an extension lever of 2 metres for the spanner and finally it opened.

The feeling was like a getting high and I bet the scream of joy was heard 2 kilometers away. :thumbup: :clap:

Unfortunately I have forgot my imageshag password so pictures must wait until I retrieve that...

Now to the next step which is opening the rest of the engine and getting the cylinders to honing. Then the difficult part is done and the rebuild can finally begin.

And while the engine is on tooling I will clean everything, bit by bit.

Today I am happy. And to avoid further damage and alteration to the mood... :beer:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well done mate, persistence pays off!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Indeed well done . Now the fun can start. :)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

imageshag
We don't need any shagging image's around here. :lol: :lol:

Well done, Sounds like your starting to make progress and reaching that halfway mark :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Trainraider wrote:
But I finally got the damned clutch basket open! I only needed to bolt the engine back to frame, get the clutch basket holding tool, make an extension lever of 2 metres for the spanner and finally it opened.

:
this is how i get the clutch center nut off when the engine is not in the frame. its amazing ho much force you can generate with a tie down ratchet strap.

AMcQ