URGENT TECHIE HELP NEEDED guys..It's driving us nuts!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: URGENT TECHIE HELP NEEDED guys..It's driving us nuts!!

Post by tony.mon »

Good suggestion re reg/rec, - perhaps meter it before all else.
Then I'd start with a fuel flow test.

Take a couple of lengths of 10mm ID hose, clamp them onto the fuel tap outlets, start the engine- there will be enough fuel in the carbs to start and run normally for a while.
Observe how much fuel flows out of the open end of the pipes, and make sure there's enough.

Have a look at the little vertical drain spigot underneath the fuel tap when running, make sure there isn't fuel dripping out- if so, tap diaphragm.

If not those, and it starts normally after a few seconds, then after recreating the problem carefully touch both ex pipes to see which one's hot and which one's cold- that isolates the fault to one cylinder.
Then try the coils swap over to see which one is affected.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

sounds just like the problem i had just after christmas....fuel tap diaphram had a pinhole in it...either change the whole tap or change the diaphram in your own...i just changed the tap tbh
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

the exile wrote:Firstly, the bike looks bloody lovely. Like the white on the belly pan.
Any-hoo, my wifes Ducati Monster S4 (sorry) started to run like a sack o' poop, particularly at higher revs and after many fears it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier heating too much and not giving the correct voltage to everything; engine, lights, dash etc. It's a real simple check, plug your optimate type thing or a volt meter and run the engine on your drive until it gets hot ( 10 mins should do it ) and if the voltage drops or is lower than 12.5 ish then it's not doing its job.
Just an idea anyway and costs nothing to check.
Good luck :?
Ged
IT ISN'T MY BIKE pictured hun, it is Daves that's the problem.Thank god!.lol..
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Anotherbikerbabe

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Diaphragm had a slit in it! Thank Christ for that! It was doing our heads in! Dave took the tap off and checked and sure enough,low n behold, you could see this long slit! I had messaged BH and he has a spare fuel tap and came to the rescue so thank you so much guys for the helpful advice and to all who think it is my gawgus beast in the pic, I can assure you it most definitely is not! Thank god I have a 19l tank and a newer bike! So once he gets it fitted onto his bike (30 mins ish?) I'll post up and let you know it's sorted! fingers crossed and see you all in Wales in September!! Cheers guys :beer: :beer: :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

it is Daves that's the problem.Thank god!.lol..

Well done on finding the problem. Nice easy one to fix as well, just not to diagnose. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good news and a easy fix :-)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tracy, fingers crossed that is the problem. The trouble with fuel and electrical problems is the symptoms can be very similar for both.

Keep us posted :thumbup:

Chris.
Anotherbikerbabe

Yes guys, it wasn't easy to diagnose and was a process of elimination and Dave is quite confident now after he's checked almost everything else, that this is the fix! Hope so anyway..I can tell you, but in the process the bike has had probably more done to it than other other bike lol..So at least Dave sorted a lot of other things that were probably not helping anyway and changed a lot of stuff so hopefully!! :beer:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Diaphragm had a slit in it!
Boots Chemists should have some - not sure if he needs a prescription.... :wink:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

bugger...........just read through the post and was going to send a post to diagnose it as a fuel flow problem based on the description............but you already got there before me :lol:

glad its sorted :thumbup:
AMcQ
Anotherbikerbabe

AMCQ46 wrote:bugger...........just read through the post and was going to send a post to diagnose it as a fuel flow problem based on the description............but you already got there before me :lol: The thought was there though, and that's what counts :thumbup:

glad its sorted :thumbup:
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Has the exhaust been changed or modified, could be excessive back pressure not allowing the engine to breathe !
Bikerstrumpet

Post by Bikerstrumpet »

Just reading through this thread and it's given me hope, as my Storm is doing exactly the same as yours!!!! It's not my breather pipes as I've ridden at high rpm with the filler cap open and problem still remained, So I was about to go down the road of re jetting the carbs (as previous owner didn't do that after cutting the exhausts down!) but I think I'll check the fuel tap/diaphragm first :)
Anotherbikerbabe

ALL SINGING all dancing :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: FIXED..via new fuel tap and filter and Dave took it out for a spin down the dual carriageway (has to build up speed over 70) and HELL YESSSSSSSS not a blip! hooray and thank fook!

Job done :thumbup: no more ripped diaphragm.. He fitted it and away he went, so guess who's out next 2 days on his days off ...I'll be right behind him lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Happy days