Is it bad to turn off with the key?

General Bike chat
shaggy-doo

Re: Is it bad to turn off with the key?

Post by shaggy-doo »

the only time i used my kill switch was on my bike test i don't no how but when i pulled up for my test i must of hit the kill switch or a joke was played on me :lol: when i got on the bike for my test i went to start the bike and had nothing so told the instructor my bike wont start and strait away he said check the kill switch :oops:
Regards ian
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

AMCQ46 wrote:its there for backfires :D
:smile:

Yup, that's the only time mine gets touched!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat fingers and thumbs....
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I turned off all the kill switches on all the bikes parked at work today :-) ha ha
I wonder how many got them started .

I also use the side stand switch to stop the engine when I park on a hill
flynavyj

Post by flynavyj »

rarely used...whenever I do, i inadvertently crank the motorcycle for what feels like ever wondering why it won't start...then going "oh...i'm an idiot". Luckily this hasn't happened long enough to drain a battery, but my habit is to use the key.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

flynavyj wrote:rarely used...whenever I do, i inadvertently crank the motorcycle for what feels like ever wondering why it won't start...then going "oh...i'm an idiot". Luckily this hasn't happened long enough to drain a battery, but my habit is to use the key.
This is one of the reasons I always use the kill switch.

That way it is part of my routine to always turn it to the run position. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
edds11

Post by edds11 »

Kill switches are for emergencies only, the way they are manufactured is not for repetitive use, thats what the Key barrel is for.sorry guys but if you use it alot you Will one day got to it and the switch will have fallen apart internally, and it wont be on your door step thats for sure.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

edds11 wrote:Kill switches are for emergencies only, the way they are manufactured is not for repetitive use, thats what the Key barrel is for.sorry guys but if you use it alot you Will one day got to it and the switch will have fallen apart internally, and it wont be on your door step thats for sure.
Well I have used it to stop the engine on my bike for the last 16yrs and close to 100k miles and it still works perfect every time.

So turn it off whichever way make you sleep best at night but you will not wear out either switch by using it IMHO and extensive testing :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The electrical switch wont wear out any more than a key barrel will wear out. But the white inscription on top of the switch will wear, but who needs that when there are only two directions. :lol: How many race bikes do you see with an ignition switch :roll: they all will have an electrical type on/off. The only reason a road bike has an ignition switch with a key is for anti-theft purposes and no other.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside