Trouble hot starting

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Trouble hot starting

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
Carl that was exactly what I was referring to, a car type jump lead. It needs to be heavy duty to carry the amps from the battery.
Thanks chris, my mistake then. I was thinking of a heavy duty car jump lead and visions of sbikerbud trying to connect huge crocodile clips on a small (well small in comparison) connection. I realize it needs to be a fairly chunky cable that why I said similar circumference. To small a diameter cable will just melt or overheat and too large, would that not loose some power in the excess thickness of cable and slow the current down.

It was just a thought. :lol:

(:-})
No worries Carl, we must have got our wires crossed :wink: :lol:
AMCQ46 wrote: on mine it is dead quiet, but as the spedo LCD goes blank it is clear that there is current being drawn and the voltage is dropping, then 30 sec later it cranks and fires OK. hence I think the starter is stalled [brushes or bearings]
Thinking about your problem Alastair, I cannot help thinking your bike starting problem sounds more like a wiring problem on the ignition side seeing as the dash goes blank when it occurs, as you say it could even be an earth issue. If the ignition side is not powered the starter motor won't spin over when the starter button is pressed.

When it happens again you could even try the direct feed from the battery to the started motor test yourself.

Chris.
edds11

Post by edds11 »

EARTH......EARTH.......godamnit :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Calm down, here you go.....

:lol: :lol:

==============================Enter the Darkside
edds11

Post by edds11 »

:thumbup:
edds11

Post by edds11 »

hey Carl. Nice helmet.....bet you've not heard that before :thumbup: :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

Good point about the earth though. A good clean earth is as important as the live. :thumbup:

Your post made me laugh. I had visions of you doing a Tony and pondering over it in your sleep and suddenly woke up EARTH......EARTH.......godamnit :lol:

fiero

Post by fiero »

would it be possible for anyone to post a pic on the grounding you guys referring ?
am new to VTR :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You have the main engine earth, neg (-) running from the battery and usually bolted onto the speed sensor by the rear CCT. Mine as you can see is bolted on with the rear CCT.

Then you have the R/R earth which is best taken direct from the battery but is normally attached via a ring terminal held on by one of the R/R mounting bolts on the right hand side subframe.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

[youtube][/youtube]

:biggrin

fiero

Post by fiero »

cybercarl wrote:You have the main engine earth, neg (-) running from the battery and usually bolted onto the speed sensor by the rear CCT. Mine as you can see is bolted on with the rear CCT.

Then you have the R/R earth which is best taken direct from the battery but is normally attached via a ring terminal held on by one of the R/R mounting bolts on the right hand side subframe.

thank you Carl, appreciate the pic it helps
fiero

Post by fiero »

checked the started terminal no rust on them, rectifier is finned type (sh691-12), grounding is fine.
battery earth terminal i felt bit loose and the bike has ytx9-bs yuasa battery.

dnt have a multimeter so dint have chance to check the health of the battery, today my dad would take to the dealer to check it & charge if require it.
fiero

Post by fiero »

the issue was with the loosen earth screw to the battery.
after tightening it had no issues in the whole 280Kms drive :D