Black Storm rising

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
lloydie

Re: Black Storm rising

Post by lloydie »

Show off :-( :lol:
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

And here we go.

The modest extension for the wrench can be seen next to the bike. 2 meter iron bar. Surprisingly handy tool. The nice clutch holding tool is as well still on it's place.

Also here is image of the crankshaft bearing. Does it look too worn to be reused or should I consider buying new ones? Bit wear on the sides, but not too bad. The only way to be sure would of course be to check it with the indicator strip, but that is too much work as the splitting of the engine is not just couple of bolts...

And not to forget. The end result:
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you've gone in that far for refurbishing the engine then it might be an idea to replace. What was the engine's milage? and wasn't the only noticeable problem before disassembly a lack of compression which you've identified as the piston rings?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

The exhaust valves from one cylinder were also bent. I think this has been one reason and/or source for the lack of compression. So at one point the CCT has failed at least partially (possibly with the previous owner and he hasn't fixed everything). However it doesn't explain why both of the cylinders were out of compression...

This also brings in interesting topic (I will one day open a separate topic for this) about redesign the CCT's. Because I like the failsafe option. As an engineer I see that this is just a duct tape fix to minimize the damage, but not actually solving the problems (and the manual CCT has a word "manual" in it and that does not work either)... So complete re-design of the CCT woudl be good to do...

New engine would have been a good option at the beginning. But since I already started with the tooling and have already spent so much time and money, I will still refurbish the one I have.

If everything else fails, then I really need to think of having another bike for the summer and keep Stormy as a "project bike". But I Will get it up and running. :p No matter how long it takes. The good thing about this approach would be that I would have time to look the spare parts around and not to go with the first found option.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One option for a failsafe would be to design a new guard that sits above both cam sprockets.
If it were longer and wrapped around the chain-covered part of the sprocket quite closely it wouldn't allow the chain to climb over the sprocket teeth if the tensioner failed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Trainraider wrote: This also brings in interesting topic (I will one day open a separate topic for this) about redesign the CCT's. Because I like the failsafe option. As an engineer I see that this is just a duct tape fix to minimize the damage, but not actually solving the problems (and the manual CCT has a word "manual" in it and that does not work either)... So complete re-design of the CCT woudl be good to do...
I like your way of thinking :) I can't say I appreciate you calling my CCT mod a duck tape fix :lol: I spent far to long coming up with it. I fully agree the Stopper mod is only a fail safe option and not a real fix for the CCT. One of the other reasons for coming up with this mod was to allow forum members who have a little amount of mechanical knowledge to be able to carry out this mod for themselves. It also means they do not have to worry about getting the tension set to the correct tension and the CCT can still operate as Mr Honda intended.

If you can come up with a redesigned CCT that doesn't have any weaknesses then that would be the answer, but one thing I do know from many many hours of R&D on this problem, whatever you come up with it will need to be self adjust in both directions, so a ratchet type CCT would not be the answer.

Chris.
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Things are slowly rolling forward. I got yesterday the cylinder heads back from tooling. Nice and clean.

But (there is always one isn't there...) since the valves are now sanded and two new ones are installed, I will need to adjust them with those small pellets. The difficult part is where to find ones?

Ok. Maybe that is the easy part and the difficult part is how to actually do the works. I haven't ever done it before with these bits - only with "screw adjustable" valves. I guess haynes manual will come handy here... :think:

Oh. I also gave the cylinder block to honing. For the sake of my wallet, I really hope I don't have to go oversized pistons... :eh:

Sirch3445: I really appreciate your solution with CCT. That is real dedication to the bike and good instructions are always appreciated. :thumbup: That will definitely be the first step for me as well when updating the CCT.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Cams-Valv ... 0967277475

Or measure what you need and exchange the old ones at a bike workshop/dealers for the sizes you need.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I guess haynes manual will come handy here..
For how to measure and adjust your valve clearances yes, but be aware not to trust the Haynes manual with regards to setting up the timing as it has some detrimental errors in it. Follow the instructions here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Slowly but surly your getting there. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

I have been robbed! 105 euros for the honing of the cylinders... (and it took 2 months...) :thumbdown:

Well. Tomorrow I will get the cylinders back and then it is time to order new piston rings. Those should arrive in couple of days, so with excellent luck and lots of hard work (mainly getting my lazy butt from the couch) "the project" will continue early next week. :clap:

Next step: Piston rings

Off topic: would 40 euros bee a good price of VFR clip-ons :?:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Off topic: would 40 euros bee a good price of VFR clip-ons
That's about the going price. If you get the later upgraded storm clip on's, they are Black in colour and have an extra 5 degree rise which helps with the wrist strain.

Good luck with the engine, should all be pretty straight forward now. :thumbup:

Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Cylinder block arrived yesterday. Quite a difference. They really needed honing and this should improve the compression a lot. Now I need to start worrying about the piston rings. This weekend some serious cleaning of components and visual check for the pistons and then on Monday I will post the order. Looking good there. :thumbup:

The other end, rear shock, is however still at rebuild. The spring hasn't still arrived so some serious delays there as well. :think:

Luckily now I actually have time this weekend. If I don't do anything else, there is always more components to be cleaned.

One more excellent weekend coming. Either I am stoned with the cleaning fumes, or completely intoxicated with the beer. :beer:

And I think I'll order the VFR bar's as well. It will give me a feeling of major achievement with the project...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sorry I just realised you said VFR bars not VTR. That is a very good price then. Do you know what year bars they are?

VFRs from 90-2001 will fit.
90-93 are medium height, weights should fit.
94-96 are medium height with different weights (stock end weights wont bolt up).
98-01 are slightly higher than others, weights like stock.

Be aware you may have to trim some of you fairing with higher bars.

Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

Well. The VFR bars were gone...

But thanks for the list. I had confirmed earlier that they would have been a correct fit.

This should more or less go to the "what I have done today" section, but nevertheless.

- One night spent on cleaning different parts, including the rear swingarm and linkage.
- Ordered new piston rings (They are little-town-in-Austria -expensive. (48' 03"N 13' 51"E) 8O).
- And new bearings for the rear wheel. I'll leave the wheel to the workshop the same run as I get the new piston rings. Hopefully at the end of the week.

I also briefly look the CTS's. Should the "piston" move when I try to press it down by hand? This week I plan to tear them to bits, but this indicates that something has been made to them... I just don't know what.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I googled the map reference, very funny :thumbup:

http://www.banderasnews.com/0611/nw-wombles-austria.htm

problem with Brits nicking the signpost from this town! :lol:
AMcQ