Jamie :wave:
eamonn

Re: New bike today

Post by eamonn »

Daytona 675
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Very nice, so is this solely for the track use then or are you going to use it on the road also. It looks like for both purposes to me.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
V-TWIT

Post by V-TWIT »

Jamoi wrote:Here it is/was... minus the nice Zorst :( Image
Same as my old one except I had gold wheels. Never sell it, I know how much you'll regret it. I traded mine for CRF450 Supermto! :oops:
Last edited by V-TWIT on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Good bikes, if it's all in good nick then you can track it almost standard, just add a 4mm spacer on the top shock mount and set your suspension up to suit you.. another very good worthwhile mod is to fit a GIPRO, gives you a real time gear indicator, removes speed limiter and is a TRE, the main thing you'll notice is it'll remove the low speed surging they suffer, the gear indicator is handy too. no other product comes close for what this does, they cost about £100.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/dow ... tro_en.pdf
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

That's a k3 not a K4.

Main difference apart from colour is K3 has four pads per front caliper, K4 has two, making it much cheaper to change pads.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

popkat wrote:
Jamoi wrote:That's a k3 not a K4.

Main difference apart from colour is K3 has four pads per front caliper, K4 has two, making it much cheaper to change pads.
:lol: :lol:

My bad, didn't have it long and a fair few log books have been in my hands since then!

Well spotted though :wink:
darkember

Post by darkember »

I just don't quite get it. You move from a Blade, better in all facets than a Suzi no offence to the Suzi they do have slick gear boxes but that is about it. Worried about binning it; well just ride sensibly. For £3K you could have had 2 storms, bin one still got another & a shed load of parts :D :D
V-TWIT

Post by V-TWIT »

popkat wrote:

That's a k3 not a K4.

Agreed, mine was a K3. :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I want to see what ziggy's black beastie looks like...
popkat

Post by popkat »

darkember wrote:I just don't quite get it. You move from a Blade, better in all facets than a Suzi no offence to the Suzi they do have slick gear boxes but that is about it. Worried about binning it; well just ride sensibly. For £3K you could have had 2 storms, bin one still got another & a shed load of parts :D :D
04 blade, very snatchy throttle, feels like cush rubbers are knackered but they're not, it's the crude fuel injection. many of them used oil too.

04 GSXR1000, smooth throttle, never use any oil, superior track bike to the blade in standard form, more roomy and comfortable on the road, pulls massive wheelies at will (it's in it's gene's :lol: )
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

cybercarl wrote:Very nice, so is this solely for the track use then or are you going to use it on the road also. It looks like for both purposes to me.

(:-})
Yes it's a road bike that I am going to use on track too.
darkember wrote:I just don't quite get it. You move from a Blade, better in all facets than a Suzi no offence to the Suzi they do have slick gear boxes but that is about it. Worried about binning it; well just ride sensibly. For £3K you could have had 2 storms, bin one still got another & a shed load of parts :D :D
The blade was pretty much mint condition and worth more than this GSXR. I wanted to get some money out of it and get something slightly cheaper. The GSXR seemed like a good bike to do that with :)
popkat wrote:
04 blade, very snatchy throttle, feels like cush rubbers are knackered but they're not, it's the crude fuel injection. many of them used oil too.

04 GSXR1000, smooth throttle, never use any oil, superior track bike to the blade in standard form, more roomy and comfortable on the road, pulls massive wheelies at will (it's in it's gene's :lol: )
It was an RR6 I had, and it had a really nice throttle. Didn't feel snatchy to me at all...

GSXR feels smooth at normal speeds but at low speeds feels awful compared to the blade. It jumps about all over the place. The guy I got it from gave me a retardation mod thing that goes under the tank. Little electronic box. I will give it a go plugging it in, though not sure it'll work.

Anyway here it is:

Good bits:

Body work in pretty good condition and I like the colour :)
Generally in pretty good condition, forks, rear suspension, engine all look relatively good, not much corrosion
Feels faster than the blade somehow, and it wheelies easier in 1st and 2nd
Comes with a standard exhaust for track days and a GP style exhaust for road...very loud
Braided hoses fitted

Bad bits:

Feels as though the previous owner hasn't bothered to maintain it for a while. The front wheel squeaks a little when turning right or left, sounds very odd. I thought it could be the wheel bearings being dry, so tried to take front wheel off and one of the pinch bolts sheard off....bugger!! Obviously hasn't been off for years and even then probably not greased when refit.
A couple of fairing bolts missing, nothing major, but a couple on the mud guard missing and the holes they screw into look as though the thread is fked.
Tyres are really flattened off making the handling feel awful at slow speeds
Had the FI light on, but was just down to servo being removed from exhaust. I have removed the sensor from the ECU and it's gone away now.
Suspension way too hard....like it's been ridden by the entire english rugby team or something, I think it must be on full hard and max preload.
The last MOT has advisories - slightly notchy steering and slight variation in braking pressure on front wheel.

Bike was a Cat C in 2006 and no record of damage. Checked it over and no visible marks or welding to any of the frame etc. Doesn't bother me too much to be honest, just means I get the bike cheaper than I otherwise would, it has done somewhere around 5,000-10,000 miles since 2006 and hasn't fallen apart yet :D

I have it booked into a garage on Tuesday. It's a local guy that does the mechanics for a race team. He is going to give it a good going over, check for problems and also sort out the sheared fork pinch bolt, new tyres, set up the suspension for the track, head bearings, wheel bearings, fluids etc. Probably going to cost me a fair bit but at least I will know it's then spot on and won't need any further work, other than oil changes for quite some time (unless Alistair rides it again and blows my fork seals and punctures my tyre :D )
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Already looking forward to my go on it :D
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

That's very very lovely dude! Little bit of tlc (not the girl pop group) and you've got an awesome track/road bike.