Ducati 916 trumpets on VTR 1000 carbs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: Ducati 916 trumpets on VTR 1000 carbs

Post by VTRDark »

They look good. Nice job :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi,

Big thanks to sirch345 for posting the pictures.

I forgot to mention, the Ducati inlets are 50mm internal diameter not 54mm as I stated earlier in the thread. Sorry for any confusion.

The weather has been bad, so in the meantime I have fitted an R6 throttle tube, what a job. Hope it isn't too aggressive, I have only rode the bike 10 feet into the garage & you can feel its a lot more responsive.

After covering a few miles with the modified trumpets I opened up the air box to see if all was okay & decided to de burr the trumpet edges & polish them up with Autosol, now they look good.

I have some more photos of the trumpets all blinged up if anyone is interested, on & off the bike, a picture is worth a thousand words....

Thanks again Chris.

Regards.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm, no problem glad I could help :)

It's interesting to see what you have been doing as well as read about it.

If you would like any more photo's posted up email them to me, I would like to see the new photo's :thumbup:

You're right, a picture is worth a thousand words :D

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Here are some more photo's from Varastorm :thumbup:
The air intake trumpets certainly look a lot better with the polishing 8) they look like they have always been there :D

Nice job there Varastorm, I like the way you have incorporated the Ducati air intake rubbers to tidy the job up very nicely :clap:

What glue did you use to fix them to the Storm's trumpets :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice job........... they look like a professional installation, and very similar length and diameter to the DR Honda ones
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi,

The method I used of joining them was to lightly tap the Ducati trumpet into the Honda one with a piece of wood on the kitchen top. But be careful though, the first one I did split a Honda trumpet doing it. There was no warning, the plastic is very hard.

As you can see from the sanding marks in the pictures the fit inside the joint is very close so all I did was to add a drop of super glue to each trumpet.

They can't come out because there is no room to lift as the air filter is there. Also I thought worst scenario would be I would hear a jingle in the air box, saying that I have removed them & polished them up with no problems of them coming loose at all.

Big thanks to sirch345 for posting the pictures again.

Regards.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

AMCQ46 wrote:nice job........... they look like a professional installation, and very similar length and diameter to the DR Honda ones
Thanks,

I am not sure that they will work as good as the real deal, but at least they look the part now...

Would be interesting to get some Ducati Corse trumpets & just apply the same method.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi,

I went for a short ride yesterday, I removed a plug & I can see that it is darker than before & a little sooty around the threaded section (I was previously using Hawks setup).

Has anyone a recommended jetting using only a larger bell mouth as a modification to a standard engine with open exhausts?

I have read lots about the jets people are using but mainly on tuned engines.

I was thinking of going with a leaner 170 front & 175 rear (I have these jets), also blocking one hole in each slide, using the glued "o" ring method??

Any help would be appreciated.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm, ah yeah Super glue, now why didn't I think of that :crazy: Thanks for the info :thumbup:

You might want to start a new thread on your carb settings question, as more may see it then. Good luck in getting it right,

**EDIT**
I've just been looking back over the posts in this thread, it appears a few have suggested your bike may run richer with the bigger air trumpets, which must be what you are thinking, especially with the sooty spark plug and the suggesting of the smaller main jets.

Chris.