Abstract torque

General Bike chat
Dendrob

Re: Abstract torque

Post by Dendrob »

tony.mon wrote:To me, the numbers themselves aren't important, they are merely comparison points.

If I measure an engine in a bike and get certain numbers, then change something and measure it again, to see if the second set of numbers is different to the first.
Then you know if the work or mod you have done has been effective or not.

The actual number doesn't matter much, as a bike with less HP and/or torque may be quicker than you due to better tyres, better, more confident rider, rider weight etc.
Of course the numbers are important. Why on earth would you spend all that time and money if the numbers weren't important. Tell chaz Davies the numbers aren't important just now. :lol:
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

bigtwinthing wrote:i think you need to ride more, and enjoy that experience. Like I've said, if it thrills do it. I can't see jamoi and lloydie hooning it down the road and thinking anything else that "wombles thats fast" not sure they have a calculator working out bhp, crank wheel etc, however Boys whats your take on it?
It's just a little philosophical musing. I didn't expect to get too far with it. :lol: :lol:

How I think off the bike doesn't really affect how I ride.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Don't get me started on electrickery - At school I remember my Physics teacher Mr Brand (who had a thing for Kate Bush and a particular sense of humour for anyone who poked pens into power sockets) ) expaining all about it and then at the end revealed those pesky electrons really went backwards to convention. After that revalation I stuck to studying a fusion of relatively simple nuclear physics and Art...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Wicky wrote:Don't get me started on electrickery - At school I remember my Physics teacher Mr Brand (who had a thing for Kate Bush and a particular sense of humour for anyone who poked pens into power sockets) ) expaining all about it and then at the end revealed those pesky electrons really went backwards to convention. After that revalation I stuck to studying a fusion of relatively simple nuclear physics and Art...

You win! You're even more of a weirdo than I am. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Dendrob wrote:
Wicky wrote:Don't get me started on electrickery - At school I remember my Physics teacher Mr Brand (who had a thing for Kate Bush and a particular sense of humour for anyone who poked pens into power sockets) ) expaining all about it and then at the end revealed those pesky electrons really went backwards to convention. After that revalation I stuck to studying a fusion of relatively simple nuclear physics and Art...

You win! You're even more of a weirdo than I am. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:

NO he isn't, your winning hands down Matey.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Dendrob wrote:
Wicky wrote:Here's an abstract depiction of my bike's torque...

I don't know why, but I'm starting to get the feeling you're not on board with this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair play.

But if you plot rear wheel power against crankshaft rpm the resulting torque will be every bit as abstract. :lol:

Where do you live? I don't want to go there Sorry.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote:
Wicky wrote:Here's an abstract depiction of my bike's torque...

Thank God! Something I can relate to at last.....
This is much easier to understand.
1. The blue snowman is blowing up a yellow balloon, while frying chorizo slices in the frying pan below.
2. The purple bird is so startled by this, he's dropped the slice of chorizo he had just stolen from the frying pan while the snowman was distracted.

It's a METAPHOR.....Tch :roll:
Torque and horsepower always cross over at the same point on the graph, It's one of the laws of physics, and Scottie's Law supercedes all*.

* Except in the case of the the Ghostbuster miscorrelation theorum, where it is stated that you should never cross the streams**

** for fear of wet socks, (and a telling off from your mum)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Our physics teacher was Mr rhyde, which is amusing. He came to school in a messerscmitt.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Dendrob wrote:Our physics teacher was Mr rhyde, which is amusing. He came to school in a messerscmitt.
Did he take off immediately the bell rang?
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

tony.mon wrote:

Torque and horsepower always cross over at the same point on the graph, It's one of the laws of physics, and Scottie's Law supercedes all*.

Now that is a good point. I thought you might have sunk me for a moment, but no. The reason is this (imo); if you plot rear wheel horsepower against crankshaft rpm to find a torque value you are lying to the computer. The horsepower you measured, at the shaft you measured it (rear spindle) was not the shaft you told the computer (the crankshaft). The computer will only do what you tell it. It doesn't know it is being abstract.

Agree?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Almost agree...

1. A computer will only do what you tell it--Agree!

2. It won't know it's being abstract- Disagree.

A computer (according to rule (1) above, will know it's being abstract if you tell it to know that it's being abstract.
macdee

Post by macdee »

I tell my computer it's a barstward
And hurry the fcuk up
He understands all that an keeps getting slower out of pure badness
told you not to but oh no you knew better