what would you swap your storm for

General Bike chat
8541Hawk

Re: what would you swap your storm for

Post by 8541Hawk »

rmh wrote:What would I swap the storm for ...... absolutely nothing....

Which is why after 15 years (1999 - V Plate) from NEW its still in the garage - ok so its not alone as i'm lucky enough to have two bikes - the Mrs draws the line at two :-)

Currently a 950 Supermoto but soon this one is to be changed for a Ducati Multistrada

So is this the oldest single owner bike on here ? 8O

Rob
Nope....picked mine up 9\97 with 3 miles on the clocks and just turned over 100K :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have a bit of a dilemma.
The wife is getting piffed oss with me spending all my time in the garage and all my money, too. As she says, that bike has cost us four or five good holidays abroad over the years.
So she has suggested that I get a fairly standard bike that's nice and reliable and just ride it rather than permanently messing with it. Sounds tempting...
What she's agreed to is an SP2, but the deal is that in order to raise most of the money I have to sell my Storm and all of the spares.

Mine's had a lot done to it but will probably fetch more broken for parts.

I always said the yellow one was a keeper, but lately it's taken most of my life just getting and keeping it running.....and that's getting a little tedious.

For now I have a spare set of crankcases so I'll rebuild the engine- mostly because I still on't know how much if any difference the oversize valves make, and would like to know.
If the yellow one dynos at around the same power as an SP2, then there won't be much of a gain in swapping one for t'other.
And at least I'll never park it next to another one in the same spec :lol:

I'll have to have a little think.
:think:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Its a fine line Tony. I have done quite a bit to my storm and thought it was well sorted for a 14 year old bike. However i liked the look of an MT09 when they came out, tested it and always thought it a great "get on and ride bike" .I always thought that as i get a bit older i want a just get on and ride bike, reasonably fast, good enough suspension etc and wash it or ride it. Then i saw the CB1000r in the repsol colours and just loved it. Riding it made me see it was a better alternative to an MT09. Hence i bought it. It will keep me amused until i hang up my helmet!!!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
budd

Post by budd »

IMHO the SP1/2 are to expensive and aren't sorted enough (low speed fuelling etc) also they are pretty small for proper adults, my advice Tony is go Italian (not Ducati :lol: ) you won't look back :thumbup: The RSV is cheap, robust, a decent size so it's roomy and comfortable plus it's likely to appreciate, what's not to like.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv kinda settled on keeping my storm until im an old phissy sitting in a home.... if i was forced to swap it for something it would have to be an early 70s H2 kwak tripple and gibson spannies ....dear lord they sound unreal...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

fabiostar wrote:iv kinda settled on keeping my storm until im an old phissy sitting in a home.... if i was forced to swap it for something it would have to be an early 70s H2 kwak tripple and gibson spannies ....dear lord they sound unreal...
Oh i just looked up 2 of them which are up For Sale here in Oz, $17,000 and $19,000 AUD.
But yeah, i'd love one!

Actually, i could replace the Storm with this
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

great pic of the Kwak. I had a KH750 and had to take plugs with you everywhere but good bike for the time. My middle pot seized at about 90 and the bike blew the crankcase apart.

The Aprilia looks superb. Always liked the Tuono. The RSV4 must be awesome.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Have to go with the aprillia as above all ways fancied one or id swap it for not being in debt :thumbdown:
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

When Yamaha work the bugs out of the MT-09 I'll have one, until then I'll keep the TRX850.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
WezC

Post by WezC »

KTM 1290 for me or the MT-09 Tracer or Ducati Multistrada

All too expensive for the 10 times a year I go on a ride.

Wez.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mav617 wrote:When Yamaha work the bugs out of the MT-09 I'll have one, until then I'll keep the TRX850.
What are the bugs then :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sell the wife Tony. :biggrin I'm with budd. I think you will still end up finding things to do with it though less than the Storm. Flapper mod, suspension and whatever else you can find to tinker with and have you seen the price of SP's recently. 8O They are a collectors bike now.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Id consider swapping mine for a blackbird
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

uk13iker wrote:Id consider swapping mine for a blackbird
Have you road one ?
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I would have kept my last storm, but to be honest the petrol fill up's got very tedious for me so it had to go in the end, I swapped it for a Fire blade, then swapped the blade and sportster for an FXDL lowrider, then got fed up of working constantly on it do I got an X-11 which then I foolishly swapped for another Harley but bought another X-11 in the end, so now I have both the dream bikes I wanted.

Wouldn't part with the X-11 getting to rare and would only part with the Sportster for a V rod.