Don't wait too long to change your CCT's

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mazsuper

Don't wait too long to change your CCT's

Post by mazsuper »

Thanks to kitch i have a pair of APE CCT's
BUT
i knew i had the clattering CCT problem for a while and being a lecturer could never find the time to get them done, so finally after getting an early day i went to a local dealer (Essential Rubber N15) to get my mot and the guy would not start my bike after he heard the noise, he said they would go at any time, well a mile up the road while poodling through dalston the noise turned into a highly pitched clattering noise i killed the engine pushed it off the road, called the AA and took the bike back to them.
I now await the results to find out if its terminal and if i got a scrapper on my hands.
will post as soon as i know, sent gf to my house to get the CCT's while i am at work, they are going to fit them and then start the bike up.

ps. i bought the bike off a doctor who always had honda do the servicing it has only done 14,000 miles it has a complete service history inc all mot's every tax disc etc

wish me luck

and don't wait too long

:(
solorider

Post by solorider »

if a mechanic said they could go at any time why did you ride the bike home? if a mechanic wont run an engine because of a risk of something failing you normally take their advise
mazsuper

Post by mazsuper »

Thats positive.....
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:well i['ve had 2 storms now.. and never any bother at all with cct's!
thats coz you dont ride them anywhere :wink:
Rich.

Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Mine were clattering.

Seeing as how you stopped immediately, I'm hoping for you that worst is the valve timing needs redoing (which it might do when fitting the APEs anyway)

Best case is that your quick stop means no damage.

Praying to the machine god for ya.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
mazsuper

Post by mazsuper »

Thanks Kitch
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

i knew i had the clattering CCT problem for a while and being a lecturer could never find the time to get them done,
A while back we were doing surveys on mileage, riding styles, what oil was used and which cct normally went first ect.
At least now we can also rule out what "type of job" you have and "making excuses" from the list as the CCTs obviously don't care. :wink:

Simple rule of thumb gentlemen (and ladies) if it sounds bad, don't use it, get it checked out. Christ folks, if your brakes were intermittent would you still risk riding? What's the difference I ask? if your cct fails and locks the engine up you could still end up on your a$$ 8O (or under a truck)
Anyway, rant over. I hope there's no damage and it goes back together Ok Maz.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mazsuper

Post by mazsuper »

Dudes

Thanks for your good karma i think it helped

Got a phone call this afternoon saying Jason had stripped it down, and that the timing chain had jumped quite a bit.
Jason said he was going to set up the timing again with the new CCT's do a compression test and take it from there.

well i just got a phone call saying the compression test was ok so he started it and it runs fine

gonna pick it up in the morning and go for a ride

4 hours labour = £165

APE CCT's = £65

Total £230

p.s it was the Front one that went thou i would have sworn it was the back one
Last edited by mazsuper on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Good job you saved a few quid on those APEs huh?
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
mazsuper

Post by mazsuper »

Sure was :)

Gonna have to come up your way for a ride and treat you to a fry up and a Beer
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

(which it might do when fitting the APEs anyway)
No, you wouldn't need to redo the timing just to replace the CCTs with manual ones. Replaced mine last winter with APE ones from Debben racing and the peace of mind has been priceless. I swear it goes better too, but I can't see how it can. Perhaps I'm not paranoid about running high revs and shutting off anymore.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Max

Post by Max »

Stratman wrote:I swear it goes better too, but I can't see how it can.
When I changed mine a long time ago I was sure it went better.
The APE man in the US of A reckoned it was cos the chain now had a fixed route and not a variable route with the spring in use. With the flexing of the spring the valve timing changes constantly, probably for the worse.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I totally agree with Pete.L :!:

If your CCT's start playing up get them changed ASAP :!:

Chris.

PS. Maz glad too hear you got away with it :D
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Maz said
well i just got a phone call saying the compression test was ok so he started it and it runs fine

gonna pick it up in the morning and go for a ride
Excellent News, what a turn up for the books :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mazsuper

Post by mazsuper »

picked it up at 8am sat
rode it back sounds fine but have only done ten miles will get to test it better this week
bike feels like it has loads of torque lower down but has lost a little bit top end.
but am overjoyed that i got away with it, i guess if it had happened at high speed i would be scrapping it.
i believe that there can be no other damage ?
is there anything i should be worried about ?
a friend suggests i get the chain changed when i get the valves done is that possible without a major strip down.