Fork seals -- potential problem ???? or is it my forks.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikerpiker

Fork seals -- potential problem ???? or is it my forks.

Post by bikerpiker »

Don't know if this is worth mentioning ,but here goes !
Was doin both my fork oil seals, i had 1 from pyramid (PKN worldwide trading- EBAY),and went to local honda dealer for other. On fitting, the honda part leaked like a sieve,(as soon as bike was lowerd from trolley jack)whereas the pattern part was fine.
The honda part was a lot slacker on the tube, so i took it to my honda dealer to show them,they confirmed it was slacker and different in appearance,but was deff correct part no. They also looked at both parts of my fork,and said there was no damage to either that would prevent the oil seal from sealing.
The Honda part had 1 spring,the pattern oil seal had a spring fitted on top and bottom of seal.
I then sent to PKN for one,obviously hoping to get same as the one they supplied in the past which is fitted and is fine. It arrived next day,but was excactly the same as the honda oil seal i had just bought,.--same manufacturers name "NOK" ,same numbers stamped on the top,and only 1 tensioning spring ect,so this leaked when fitted as expected.
Phoned PKN (Dumfries),very helpfull,chap managed to locate 1 of the old type and said they must have changed the design ect,and says i should recieve it tomorrow,and if it turns out to be ok,he will try to order more of the old type.
Fingers crossed !!!
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

I had my fork seals replaced last week by a local Honda dealer, just been out to check them and they're fine, but I'll keep my eye on them over the next few weeks and update this thread if I have any news. Thanks for the tip :)
bikerpiker

Fork Seals...update !

Post by bikerpiker »

No problem mate, but judging by the response it looks like its only me thats got the problem with the oil seals.
The chap from PKN (Pyramid parts) posted me one as promised,excactly the same as the 2 that i removed from the forks ,i fitted it tonight. I lowered bike down frm trolley jack,prised up the dust covers,it looks bone dry :) ,whereas the honda seal leaked as soon as the bike was lowered.
Will do some miles tommorrow to confirm.
bikerpiker

Fork oil seal....update

Post by bikerpiker »

Went run on bike, oil seal fine, no leaks !!!!
So, standard firestorm forks fitted , the genuine honda seal and the 1st pattern seal leaked, (same design)honda techs no idea why ,Deff correct part no.
Phoned pyramid PKN with number off the top of seals that came out of the bike,he located one.
Its fitted,as well as the one my mate gave me,which he bought for an early cbr600 (same part no. as vtr),these are different in appearance(tighter and 2 springs) to the ones supplied by honda now.
Incase it helps anyone ,the seals that leaked had the numbers 41 55 11 , stamped on top , the ones that held in the oil had BR 20031, 41-80.
All sorted,but why, no one knows !!,hond tech muttered "strange" !
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's worth knowing Bikerpiker, even so still a bit of a strange one, that's for sure :!: Glad too hear you got it sorted eventually :D

Chris.
bikerpiker

Fork oil seals --- nice n dry ...bout time too !!

Post by bikerpiker »

No probs,
It was a job i wasn't looking forward to doin, id never done fork seals before......could prob do them with my eyes shut noo ,that was 4 times includin taking the 1st new one out to make sure i hadn't damaged it installing it !
All sorted ,infact might go for run,looks a bit chilly though ,can see snow on the Arran hills !
adfski

Post by adfski »

I think both of my seals have just gone. At the same time too - seems suspicious 8O

Anyway do you need a special tool to do them?

What oil is recommended? (15st)

Anyone have an internet link to good quality cheap seals?

cheers
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Im sure in Haynes workshop manual it says 10w fork oil,but i bought my fork oil at Honda dealer,he says 5w is standard so up a grade would be 10w,this is what i bought .
Just follow the instructions in the manual mate ,its easy enough, if dismantling the forks completely a bit of steel pipe or similar (or honda tool) is recommended to use as a kind of sliding hammer to hit the top bush back in,make sure there are no sharp edges which could cause scratches. If your garage is like mine,you'll prob have something lying about your garage that will do !
PKN on ebay is good,just type in "vtr fork seals",,as i said in previous post,it was identical to ,and made by NOK ,who made the seal i bought from Honda.
Take note of the numbers on the seals in previous posting above,as i had bother but hopefully you wont.
adfski

Post by adfski »

cheers piker :wink:

I don't have the haynes but I got the copy of the workshop manual on me mac. The instructions seem quite straight forward but it does mention the dust seal and an oil seal and a slider bushing. Do you think any of these need changing while i'm in there?

Or is it a simple case of buying the oil seal and oil and putting them back together?

Will the 10w oil be better for my 15st weight and faster riding - what are the implications?

:)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I'd change both the dust seal and oil seal in each fork leg, it's very unlikely the top or bottom bushes would need changed unless they're scored.
P.s,the manual makes it look more comlicated than it really is,i was crappin me-self :? ...when doing the job it's fairly straightforward.
Sorry mate but im not really to knowledgeable on suspension set-ups and oil etc, but i suppose using a heavier grade oil would mean its less likely to bottom out.
Im 15st as well(would be aboot 12st if it wasnt for my belly) :lol: and with the 10w the front end feels stiffer,i put my settings back to standard .
Maybe someone who knows about these things could confirm .
adfski

Post by adfski »

heavier oil = more pressure, sounds right to me mate.

Will order me some dust seals and oil seals tonight and go for it!!!

It seems you are afflicted with the same disease as me with a large growth that started to appear on your midriff at about 25. Just slowly keeps growing. :lol:

Will have to uprate suspension in a few years and in about ten years I'll have to get a hog! 8O
adfski

Post by adfski »

seals ordered and on the way but now I can't decide what brand of fork oil to use.

Has anyone got any advise here or do I just get the cheapest 10w fork oil available?

Will it make any difference? :?