robert dunlop r.i.p

General Bike chat
patty

robert dunlop r.i.p

Post by patty »

just found out,cant bloody believe it....
seems like more and more are pasiing each month!!!!

see below.

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has died after suffering severe chest injuries in a crash in Thursday's practice session at the North West 200.

Another Northern Ireland rider, Darren Burns, suffered a suspected broken leg and concussion in the accident, but is said to be stable in hospital.

The accident happened in the 250cc qualifying session, near Portrush in County Antrim.

Dunlop's brother Joey was killed in a racing accident in Estonia in 2000.

The riders were travelling at speeds of about 160mph when the accident happened as they approached the Mathers Cross section of the course.

Dunlop's bike appeared to seize and he went over the handlebars.

He was rushed to the Causeway Hospital in nearby Coleraine, where he died from his injuries shortly after 2200 BST.

Went sideways

Burns was following behind and was unable to avoid hitting the Ballymoney rider.

Dunlop had sustained serious injuries in a crash at the Isle of Man TT in 1994, but he recovered and returned to action soon after.

Another Northern Ireland rider, Denver Robb, was behind both motorcyclists when the accident happened.

"Coming up to Mathers (Cross), Burns was leading and I was second, just sitting in his slipstream," he said.

Robert was one of NI's best known and most experienced riders

"Then Robert - it was one of the Dunlops - came past me and as soon as he did he just shot off into Mathers and the bike seized. There was a puff of smoke and the bike locked up, she went sideways, and I think Robert must have grabbed the front brake.

"He went out over the top of the bike and landed on the road. Then Burnsy had nowhere to go and he clipped him and he went straight on."

Mervyn Whyte, clerk of course, said he was devastated by the death.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Robert's family and we extend our deepest sympathies to his wife Louise, children William, Daniel and Michael and wider family circle," he said.

"The MCUI (UC) - Motor Cycling Union of Ireland and PSNI are in the process of fully investigating the incident which happened during the 125, 250, 400 practice session on the first lap.

"The other rider involved in the incident is in a stable condition in hospital.

"Robert was one of Northern Ireland's best known and most experienced riders who will always been remembered for his infectious personality and love for road racing."

First Minister Ian Paisley and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said they were deeply saddened by the death.

"This is a tragedy that will be felt deeply by the people of Northern Ireland," Mr Paisley said.

"Robert was one of our greatest sportsmen and will be sadly missed."

Mr McGuinness said: "Robert, like his brother Joey before him, was a tremendous ambassador for his sport.

"I also offer my sincerest sympathies to his family."

Northern Ireland Sports Minister Edwin Poots said: "Robert was a much loved respected and talented member of the motorsport community and will be missed by all."
yellow all the way...
who needs 4 cylinders when 2 are this good!!

storm no more...rsv power now.
(along with 85cc of honda finest)
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

OMFG !!!!! 8O

Didn't watch it as we'd got tickets to see Tull in Blackburn!

All I can say is that's really put a very sad end on what was a great evening.

Hope you didn't suffer Bob, at least now you can zoom around with bro Joey and Dave J again now.

RIP.

:cry:

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

OMG.
I'm sitting here reading this in a daze. If there is an upside to these things then at least he died doing what he loved.
I for one though feel dreadful and very sorry for all those close to him left behind.
RIP

(Bike seized it says?) :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dunlop
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

How very sad indeed :!:

I'm deeply shocked too hear this sad news 8O

My condolences to all his family and many friends, RIP Robert.

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

R.I.P mate......

Read Hizzys book for a death count to make you weep.... 8O
He describes road racing as the ultimate but started to campaign for a 600cc limit due to the power of the litre superbikes
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tattie

Post by tattie »

Just heard a wee while ago, R.I.P Robert.

My condolences to his family and friends.

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

sad sad news....another reason why what i did yesterday!!..sold the storm, had too many m8s come off of late..so sold out see other post :(
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

RIP Robert...And not forgetting Martin Finnegan
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Wildfire wrote:RIP Robert...And not forgetting Martin Finnegan
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... n+finnegan

That's 2 in 2 weeks - not good, not good at all!

There's bound to be calls to ban road racing or at least limit CC etc.

IMHO ballcocks

Anyone who races bikes does it because they love it , especially RR - they certainly ain't in it for the money :!:

If the adrenalin didn't come from there it'd be from another source.

As our 'heroes' know and knew, each of us knows the risks we take when doing anything, especially throwing our leg over a bike that in our cases at least, is likely to be far more capable than we are.

If bike racing consisted of poottling around at 30 40 50 or 60 MPH then it would not exist.

It gets an audience because of the skill of the riders, the noise and smell of the bikes (when you'e there) and the danger they put them selves in everytime they leave the grid!

Not that anyone wants to see any rider professional or joe public hurt and especially not mamed or killed. Who can say, they've not marvelled at the guys who walk away from a 160 off or the major tank slapper that somehow the guy manages to hang on too like a rodeo rider on a bronco? There can't be many of us!

Personally I love it, road racing that is. I'd much rather watch that than Club, BSB, WSB, GP anyday. IMO there's far more skill to RR and you can't beat it for atmosphere, sitting or standing only feet away as the riders go passed, it's electric - Long may it continue.

Sorry, probably not the best place for a rant. :oops:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A Dunlop in first in the 250race sort of sets it right, though, doesn't it?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.