Dismantle Mirror?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Dismantle Mirror?

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

Anyone know if it's possible to successfully dismantle and re-assemble Storm mirrors? or for that matter any similar ones?

(Gixxer is similar ball and socket affair)

If so, how?

Just got a replacement LH mirror from eblag, as mine had flaking paint on the stem. Rather than binning it or saving for spare, though I might try restoring it's lovely glossy finish.

Also just taken receipt of a (eblag) 2nd hand pair of mirrors for wor lass' Gixxer (Her LH side one is losing its mirroring, showing green backing). The replacement LH mirror is fine, but the stem is showing signs of imminent flaking.

I'll also be contacting seller about them though as the RH mirror glass looks like it's been cleaned with a diamond ring! Can see bugger all in it but scratches! Photos although not close up seemed to back up the 'good condition' description.
"In good condition. Please email me with any questions."
'Hi, is either of the mirrors scratched to F*ck?, Thanks' RSV

Cheers,

Graeme.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Smooth Hammerite tarts 'em up nicely, just adjust them to one side, leave to dry properly (low oven is good) then move the ohter way and touch in the exposed unpainted bit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

"In good condition. Please email me with any questions."
'Hi, is either of the mirrors scratched to F*ck?, Thanks' RSV
LMAO :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A very good question Graeme :!:

I've never heard of anyone dismantling or reassembling a bike mirror, but after saying that they had to get the mirror in there in the first place :!:

After reading Tony.mon's post it made me think, perhaps a slight warm up in the oven may make the plastic more pliable :?

Chris.

PS. Bad luck about your purchase, very annoying for sure, I hope you get a satisfactory result from the seller :!:
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Suspect the mirror case is hot moulded around the glass. Certainly cheapest solution for manufacture. Whatever, you'll likely break it getting it apart. Hate tossers that carefully select photos to mislead the buyer, and know full well the item is faulty but don't bother to tell you. That's the trouble with Egay, too many folk see it as a dumping ground for offloading crap. Hope you get a refund. Give him a negative anyway (he can't do anything about it now they changed the rules....)

Chris
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Was beginning to wonder if I'd managed to stump everyone for once.

Either that or was Billy no mates :lol:

Looked at old one last night, hoping there might be a long bolt from base of stem through to the ball joint, but no such luck.

Seems like they are either hot moulded or very cleverly 'snapped' together by them cunning nips.

If not hot moulded then they 'should' come apart like they went together.

Think I probably binned the busted one from when I parked her upside down a few years ago - can't see me keeping it really even being the hoarder that I am.

Oh well - Looks like a very careful bit of restoration then.

As for the ebay Gixxer mirrors, I messaged the guy last night to advise him I was not too pleased, but as yet, have not had a reply.

I'll give him a fair go, but if I don't get a satisfactory result, I'll take it to e-bay.

RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

Somewhat of a result on the Gixxer mirrors I think .....

"Hi, I'm really sorry to hear your not happy with the mirrors but i cant comment on the condition as i didnt see them myself as my wife was clearing out the garage and she put them on ebay for me. Can i send you a cheque for £20 to reimburse you some what. Many thanks"

Not sure about the 'I didn't see them' bit sounds like BS to me, but £15.23 for a good OEM LHS mirror (originally £35.23 inc postage for the pair) seems OK. I can always advertise the RHS one, with a suitably worded description - might claw a bit more back 8)

I've asked him to Paypal me the money though as that's how I paid him - will save him the cost of a stamp at least :lol: