Touring on a storm....

General Bike chat
Sparks

Touring on a storm....

Post by Sparks »

Anyone here been touring around Europe on their storm?

I bought the new bike mostly for going touring on (nothing major, just a week in france here and there...) I done a lot of reading and the storm seemed ideal apart from the tank range.. which isn't a MASSIVE issue as I tend to want to stop before 100 miles anyways...

But now I've got the storm, I'm having serious doubts...

I love the bike, looks good, rides good and sounds awesome but, and I don't know if its because I haven't ridden on the road for about 1.5 years (still been riding for these 1.5 years just not on road) but my right hand seems to go completely numb after literally minutes... and I find it really uncomfortable.. my legs ache like fook and seem to only be able to sit right against the tank as the seat just doesn't seem all that comfy...

I think I might just need to get back into road riding, not used to sitting down for so long (usually standing on the seat or on the tank :lol: ) but I'm worried now that I'm not going to enjoy touring on it..

So, anyone been touring on their bike?

I am going to balance the carbs and get some new bar end weights to see if its a vibration problem causing the hand to go numb.. I'm also considering K&N, dyno set up and a 19L tank to improve the tank range (altho not massively worried about this yet) I think some of the problems are my riding gear, loose jacket that seems to flap about a lot and haven't got any boots/leathers yet.. so that's probably not helping things.

Just feelin a bit like I've made a mistake on the future touring plans. :cry:
99' Firestorm in the best colour!! :cool:
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Timbo wrote:Bar risers can help with that mate, or even do a full straight bars conversion. Someone will be along directly to advise i am sure.

Or you could work out a simple exercise routine to build up your right hand, some call this routine Rubbing One Out :lol: :lol:

Wouldnt work for me, i am left handed. :oops:
Thanks for advice, definetly wouldn't go for renthals though. the bar risers may be tempting.. the thing is though it's not the riding position that hurts my wrists or anything, its just my hand goes numb, mostly the fingers and palm 8O wrist seems fine.

I noticed something you said in another thread, that you could stick your storm in 6th and ride at most speeds with it..... well I find with mine it jerks a lot in higher gears at lower speeds, which makes me think the carbs need balancing and setting up... ? which could be causing extra vibration maybe...

Think I'll balance the carbs and get new grips and bar end weights then see if that improves it. If not then maybe bar risers are on the cards.

Mike, might look into some aftermarket rearsets as well, which ones have you got? the standard ones seem a bit too low and far forward for me?
pariah

Post by pariah »

I,ve fitted the vfr bars to mine, small mod required to the upper fairing to accomdate the swithches once fitted. Fit straight on and makes all the difference.
I got a second hand set deliverd for 47 squid.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Mike, £300 8O I'll definetly keep my eyes open for some second hand ones, as I think thats the main cause of my uncomfort on the bike... but can't afford em right now unfortunately :( hopefully get some before I go to France though!! You got any pics of them on your bike at all?

Pariah, if I still don't get on with it after the carbs, bar ends etc etc. I'll give you a shout :)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

They look really smart, rather tarty too :lol: will keep my eyes open on ebay cheers 8)
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

I've had my Storm for 3 years now and have done 3 tours in France, 1 in Ireland and 1 in Holland. I'm 6'3" and find the bike comfortable, the trick I find is to remember to grip the tank with your legs which will take the pressure off wrists. Bar risers can help but in the first instance just make sure the Brake and Clutch levers are angled so as not to put too much pressure on your wrists.

Touring you should be able to get 90-100 miles before that little light comes on which is the only nuisance but I've never found myself in a situation without fuel.

Just get yourself some half decent riding kit, a bagster tank cover and bag, and a set of cheap throw over panniers and you'll be fine.
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Did a bit last year.
I have GB MOTO bar raisers (approx 35ukp off of eBay) + some lowered pegs to cope with my 6' 2" tall frame.
Used a tank bag with a rear 'FastBag' attached via straps to the rear. Got all my gear onboard OK.

Pic with a friends wife (he took the picture before you ask!!!!!!)
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I've gone as far as Luxembourg/Nurbugring/France on mine a few years back, two up!

I found her as comfy as anything else to be honest. Chuck away alloy bar end weights and get proper heavy ones. You can raise the clipons about half an inch without having to fit bar raisers by removing the circlip at the fork tube top and the lug in the bottom won't engage, but I did about 20,000 miles like that with no problems at all. Also check the angle of the clipons - only a little too straight and you will get wrist ache.

Consider a throttle lock - I had one on mine but now moved to the other bike, though I'd get another one if I found one about - I bought mine in Belgium.

I even fitted hard luggage at one point to go to France!

The only drawback with the fuel thing is, whilst I too want to stop every 100 miles, there is no guarantee that there will be a petrol station there, so in practice you stop every 80 miles to be on the safe side, which pisses off people with a longer range (that's their problem mind you)

I now have the TDM900 for touring and the VTR for hooning, so I'm well pleased on both counts, not least as I can squeeze 60mpg/240miles per tank from the TDM!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

pariah

Post by pariah »

firestormike , wow thats a real nice looking bike yh have there.

Tell me do you actually take it out the gargae and ride it, or just polish it and then put it back. :lol: :lol:

Yh must spend hours keeping it that clean . dont the missus nag yh
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

LSM,,id need a hoist to get me on n off,i'd never get my leg over :!: :lol:
andyh

Post by andyh »

Hi Sparks, touring on the STORM is no problem on the Continent. I've ridden all over France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and it's bliss mate :D Just give yourself plenty on time to do your journey and don't worry about fuel stops there's garages everywhere, It's not like the dark ages. Get a few miles under your belt and your be fine. Go and enjoy :!: :wink:
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Don't lose heart too soon, Sparks. Consider the few mods the lads have suggested, but also give yourself time to get used to it. I have no trouble riding to Sydney in a day (1,000kms), stopping about every 200k for fuel & being ready to go out when I get there :wink: .
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

BikerPiker.
You can just lift your leg forward over the seat at 6' 2" tall!!!! :lol:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
pariah

Post by pariah »

I know what u mean sparks, I recently bought strom. Really worried about vibration and the fact that certain parts of me body were going numb. Wondered if it was always going to be like this . Dont really notice it now, to busy enjoying her.
Since been on here , it appears normal. In the words of one chap ( thats why traggic lights were built so as to give yh a rest. ) :lol:
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Timbo wrote:what pipes you got on Sparks?
Scorpion cans.