Stealth Cameras

General Bike chat
Stratman

Stealth Cameras

Post by Stratman »

What are the signs I see at the side of the road with the word Stealth and a picture of a bike in the centre?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

yup, we have them down here too. My friend recently got done by an unmarked blackbird. It came up behind us, reving his engine quite a bit so naturally everyone sped off only to see blue lights in our wing mirrors! Personally i think its a very underhand way of going about it...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yep Lincs is covered in them, A15 especially but thanks to the County Police losing there case for more cash there has been a distinct lack of the many unmarked bikers. It basically means that they have a licence to hide cameras in bushes to catch speeders, rather than place the cameras in full view.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Travelled from Norwich to Home at the weekend and mostly on A roads
I drove from home (Norwich) to Stoke to see my daughter and it was on a similar route (esp Lincs) that I saw them. I didn't think the "stealth" approach was legal, but there you go.

I'm really happy that all real crimes have been solved, allowing trained police the time to hoon about at will.

lee67

Post by lee67 »

its been going on years...everyone who rides a bike or drives a car, takes the choice to drive legal and up to speed limit...those who go much faster do so at there own risk..simple!!..and yeah i aint preaching ive been known to do 180 now and again..tho for last 8 weeks i havnt been past 60 lmao :D 8)
pariah

Post by pariah »

some interesting comments on this subject. Ok a lot of people say that speed is the most common factor in most road accidents.
How ever I would just like to mention that a loaded gun can also kill . That is if put in the hand s of some one that dosen,t know what or how to use it. Surley it,s not speed or the road that causes deaths but the lack of care or experiance of other road users that are the most common factor in what others like to call accidents ? .
Only recently did I watch a documentry upon which is the most dangerouse road in britian. Funny, I tought most road were tarmac , concrete and just laid there and did not pull out on you, over take on blind corners, didn,t reverse out of a drive, didnt do U turns in the road etc etc. So please dont lets say speed is the cause of most accidents. All my unfortunate incidents have been caused by the stupidty and incompetnece of other road users. Ie car drivers. Lucky enough I,m still around , others more recently have not been so lucky.

Surley the law and police should be looking at getting the dangerous drivers of the roads for good, not just taking money of them and then letting them go. I say that a driver causing anyones death whilst on the higway should loose there right to drive amongst decent motorists what ever they choose to use as transport. A clear and simple signal should be sent out .
How many time now have I heard of people caught for drink driving using the same old line that they would loose there job if they lost the licence. What about the persons partner that they have killed what about there loss for the rest of there life. I know of one driver that was so addicted to drink that they even put hin in prison cause he wouldnt stop driving whilst drinking.
Sorry about the rant but it angers me so much , yet so little can be done about it.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I think you'll find that if you are caught drink driving you will always lose your licence, irrespective.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

[quote="pariah"]some interesting comments on this subject. . So please dont lets say speed is the cause of most accidents.

People could argue for weeks on this,but,imo speed is a factor in a lot of accidents involving bikes.
3 weeks ago,on a local road my brothers mate,who was in a vw transporter,was in a collision with a biker who died. Biker was coming towards him,overtaking cars,out,in,out,in,out then in,.. (we've all done it at sometime :!: )he appears to have seen the transporter ahead,had no room to get in, then lost control of bike which then slid under the VW.
About twice this year,ive had a few near misses through no fault of my own,..........BUT ,on another couple of occasions i've nearly came off due to MY speed being a factor :!: ......one of these being on a single track road going around 30mph and hitting gravel(quite spectacular apparently) :oops: , but,at the end of the day it was me who was going to "fast"(30 :!: ) for the road conditions :!:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Inappropriate speed can cause accidents - so that can be 30 mph on a gravelly road as you say.

Equalyy, piss poor riding (darting in and out of traffic, causing other road users to swerve or brake) is piss poor riding and can be fatal at 30/40 or 50 plus if you hit a car head on.

What really gets me riled is the "Speed Kills" mantra. No, it doesn't. My brain won't melt at 120 mph. So, if I'm on an empty road I know with no junctions etc and do 120, I know I'm safe, but a "stealth" camera would possibly send me to prison. If I am a complete nob overtaking everything by weaving in and our etc but only at 50 mph, then I am absolutely safe in the eyes of the lay as I am doing below the legal brain melting threshold.

Of course, if there were more traffic cops then the weavers and poor riders might get stopped, but where's the revenue in that?

The best two things I ever did were the IAM course and then the Police Safe Rider course - those guys know we don't ride at 60 all the time on open roads and don't expect us to, nor do they themselves.

Aargh111 :evil:

Drac

Post by Drac »

Intersting. I wouldn't have thought the stealth approach was legal.

Camera's both static and mobile (vans/cars) are marked by warning signs.

At one point car radar detectors were illegal until a challenge that having one caused a reduction in speed (cos of the thing going off), and the police stated aims of speed cameras was not to catch people and increase their office party funds, but to slow people down.

A stealth camera serves no purpose except to generate revenue, it doesnt slow people down..cos by their very nature noone knows about em till they are caught.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Drac the lincs Police stated clearly for MCN that they would be hidden, if it was illegal that would not have happened. Speed + bad luck/stupidity kills :cry: but to be honest if bikes did not have the capability to go at warp speed nine I for one would probably not be on one. Might as well have a micra soft top if you are going to cruise about at 50mph, I look stupid with a Filo Bedo outfit and beard anyway so thats out :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
lee67

Post by lee67 »

oh yes tim, ist got more chrome than b&q now on it....looks the dogs weighs 3 ton tho :wink: ..and no i still aint finished ading bits..