Sprockets

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Boon

Sprockets

Post by Boon »

Is anybody out there using a different sprocket set up as i,m lookin for a little boost in acceleration out of corners. :lol:
What No of teeth :D
Cheers
castrolstorm

sprockets

Post by castrolstorm »

HI there,
If you fit a 15 tooth front sprocket, and a 42 rear (1992 fire blade)you will drop the gearing about 10%.
15 tooth alone will give about 8.5%, but I use both on my two storms, as it keeps the chain length correct.
THE SPEEDO WILL READ FAST , because the speedo runs from the gearbox, and the changes are after it.
hope this helps
RICK
Boon

Post by Boon »

Rick
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated :)
Do you find much of a difference in the initial exiting speed with the lower gearing

Dom
castrolstorm

SPROCKETS

Post by castrolstorm »

HI DOM
GOES LIKE sh1t THROUGH A GOOSE.
IF YOU WANT TO BRICK IT ,TAKE ONE VTR,ONE SET OF RACE CANS, ONE K&N FILTER, DROPPED GEARING,GET HER ROLLING GENTLY IN BOTTOM GEAR,AT A MERE 1500rpm, SNAP THE THROTTLE SLIGHTLY CLUMSILY,THE FRONT COMES UP SO FAST(CLUMSY TRAFFIC LIGHT GETAWAYS CAN BE ENTERTAINING.
IF YOU USE SMALLER ROADS THAN M/WAYS, OR BIG A-ROADS, YOU SUDDENLY FIND YOU HAVE 6 GEARS, INSTEAD OF 4(THIS IS HOW A STORM SOULD HAVE BEEN GEARED, HILLS DO NOT EXIST)
10% LOWER GEARING =80% MORE FUN
ENJOY !!!!
CHEERS RICK :D :D :D
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

Hi All
Rick is right, got a set of blue flame cans and a 15 tooth front sprocket and boy does she wheelie now. DONT keep it pinned in first or you WILL flip it. Every time i take mine out now it turns into a `will i loose my licence today day` why didn`t someone warn me of the dangers of owning a big V twin.
Paul
Paul
Rich

Post by Rich »

l was thinking of changing mine but was worried what 1st would be like as it is l was at the lights the other day and started to move off went to scratch my nose and did a one handed wheelie up the road 8O
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

Get that 15t on you will not regret it.
Makes the bike better in town and out :twisted:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Or you could try a 43 on the rear and leave the front at 16. If you change the front to 15 you end up with a slower steering bike as the wheel base is increased cos you have to move the wheel backward to take up the extra slack in d chain. Also the chain won't last as long cos it's now going round a smaller circumference. If you put a 43 on the rear the steering will be quicker as the wheel is moved forward with no effect on chain wear and it'll effect the ratio slightly less.

16 front, 41 rear = 2.56:1 (Std)
15 front, 41 rear = 2.73:1 (more chain wear, slower steering)
16 front, 43 rear = 2.69:1 (std chain wear, quicker steering)

Del
Boon

Post by Boon »

Del
So basically adding 2 teeth to the rear will give you near enough the same ratio as rick was saying....Would this be a donor sprocket from another model or are they made for the Vtr 8)

Rick
My bike has been jetted with cans ! .
So what ever i fit i,ll let you know, to tell you the outcome, :) :)
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Most tyre places do chains ans sprockets and they should be able to get a whole host of sizes, get a HD one too.

Del.
Boon

Post by Boon »

Thanks all for the info :D :D :D

Dom
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've got the 2 teeth larger rear for exactly the reasons mentioned by Del.

It comes up off the throttle in first and just about in second. The acceleration is better but its not too vicious.
Ricks sounds WAY radical, taking one OFF the front is roughly the same as ADDING 3 to the rear. He's done BOTH!!

Rick, what revs is it pulling at 100mph? I think mine's just over 5k

Ben
kingster

gearing

Post by kingster »

I've also got 15 front and 42 rear - the sprocket bloke did't have a 41 in stock, so I figured what the hell.

Bike goes great! No problems in first, just make sure I don't gun it too much. It lifts real easy off the throttle in first if I want it to, though... 2-3k and whack it open. Better to feather the clutch in second ;-)

The difference between my previous 15/41 combination is barely noticable, so the extra tooth is worth it for the chain length fix (imo).

Anyway, I would recommend the gearing, as the bike is very responsive and the only downside is the over-reading speedo, and I sorted that by fitting a Sigma Sport comp - now I have a digital speedo that tells me the truth!

Loads of fun... go for it.

Kingster
always try and put youself in a position to take advantage of the available luck!
castrolstorm

SPROCKETS

Post by castrolstorm »

hi yall.
First off unless you correct your speedo, you will always see 100mph=5000rpm,whatever you do with the gearing,cos the speedo is driven from the gearbox, not the front wheel.
The standard bike does 100=5000. mine does 100=6000.
THE STORM IS WILDLY OVERGEARED IN STANDARD FORM
RENEGADES ROLLING ROAD GIVES MY MAX POWER AT 8961rpm.
if100=5000, then 8961=179mph(IMPOSSIBLE)
HONDA CLAIM 156(=7800rpm)
mine seems like a more realistic 149@8961rpm!
Thing is it dont matter how FAST (irrelevant),its how it gets there that matters(kin kwik)
LATERS RICK
Boon

Post by Boon »

Rick

have you tried your gearing on a trackday as it sounds as if it,ll blow the doors off a blade /R1 on the twisty bits, :D :D :D