Tyre Pressure Chart - Firestorm / SuperHawk

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Tyre Pressure Chart - Firestorm / SuperHawk

Post by RedStormV »

I just know someone else is going to want this :biggrin

oldbikeman

Re: Tyre Pressure Chart - Firestorm / SuperHawk

Post by oldbikeman »

I don't like sticking my neck out much but I can't keep quiet on this.Honda pulled some pretty dodgy crap with this bike but these pressures are bad news.Maybe two 25 stone sumos were used for set up.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I feel that these are best used as a guideline for initial settings, like standard suspension settings.
You won't get into much trouble using these settings, but a better bike and riding experience can be had by trying a small adjustment to see what works for you, your weight, riding style, usage, etc, etc.

If you really only use the bike on sunny days, then you can drop pressures by ?say? -2PSI, which will make the steering feel ever so slightly heavier but will give better grip in corners. Similarly, if you're lighter, never carry pillions or lots of luggage.

Go up slightly ?+2PSI? if you are a (hem,hem, cough,) more manly rider who carries more weight on his frame, so to speak. Again, same applies (or a bit more) if you carry a pillion, lots of luggage, or have lots of bolt-on extras such as fixed panniers, spotlights, huge screen, etc.

Lastly, down a bit for trackdays, as the tyres will get quite a bit hotter than in normal road use, and the gas will expand more, but then take it easy until the tyres are properly warmed up.

And the chart makes no mention of whether a tyre is new or worn- pressures make a difference then, surely?
I know mostly it's the sidewall pliability that is affected by pressure changes, and this doesn't change as the tread wears, but personally I always put in a wee bit more once the tyres go past 3/4 worn. (I find it helps the tyre cut through water better on rainy days- don't need it when there's plenty of tread left).

Anyone else do this?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

I'll stick my neck out again.
For grip , feel and suspension compliance 10-14 stone Front 28 - 32 psi Rear 30 - 35 . I know these pressures work well on many different tyres types and bikes above 750cc.When a tyre is pressured higher than it's working case profile.then you start to lose contact patch,
and if it can't change shape to absorb road defects you'ill have no feel and the bike will be skittish.Too hard is dangerous and I think 46lbs is.