HELP, TROUBLE.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
seb421

HELP, TROUBLE.

Post by seb421 »

ive done some work on my storm over last week,
replaced CCT front n back
sparkplugs
adjusted front cam so its now aligned correcty
oil and oil filter
coolant

put it all back together today,

fired up okay, runs allright at tick over, well on choke at the moment. not had it warm enough to tickover.

but when bike revs increased to around 3,000 rpm it sounds like its struggleing and cuts out. also feels like once it gets to 3,000 rpm there is no power if you put more gas on.

im hopeing it may just be a crused fuel or air line?

any one any ideas, or could it be elictrical?

batt is dead at moment its on charge so will be back at it later

im hoping ive not done anything rong or missed anything out i dont think i have as i had no screws left over lol.

but yeh anyone had trouble like that after working on bike?

thanks
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Stratman

Re: HELP, TROUBLE.

Post by Stratman »

Check you have turned the petcock back on and also attached the vacuum pipe to the SIDE pipe not the one at the bottom. If you still have a problem post back :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Does sound like a vaccuum pipe on wrong mate. Double check the tank pipe arrangement and let us know.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
seb421

Post by seb421 »

vaccum pipe, im not sure which one that goes to, is this from the tank i took it off but forgot where it went so think i stuck it on the left side of the bikes tank nipple thing.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Alright guys,
I am at this stage at the moment as I am replacing my cct's with ape's, so its fresh in my mind still lol !!!
OK you have the left and right tap lines on, there is also a large diameter breather to attach under the tank, (thats the large pipes out of the way) this leaves two small diameter pipes to fit, one runs along the left hand side of the frame to the carb and one runs down to the bottom of the bike. The one that runs to the carbs needs to go on the nipple at the back of the tap, the other needs pushing back on to the breather pipe on the under side of the tank.
Hope this helps.

It helps if you label them up with masking tape next time lol :oops:

ps make sure you switch the tap back to on or you aint going no where !!!!

Cheers,
Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There are five pipes which need connecting.

The two fatter ones (two the same size) both go on the sides of the fuel tap. They've got spring clips to hold them on, so you'll see the grooves left by the clips in the rubber.

The thin one that turns into a fatter bit of pipe after a few inches and the remaining fat one go to the two metal stubs that poke out of the bottom of the tank- one's a breather letting air back in the tank and one's a drain from the filler cap neck.

The last remaining thin one (leading towards the engine) goes onto the back of the fuel tap, at the 9 o'clock position if you're looking under the tank from the saddle end. This pipe (which stays the same for its whole length) is the vacuum pipe.

You can tell which thin one it is as it's NOT the one which starts thin but turns into a thicker bit of pipe after a few inches.

It's easy to think that this goes onto the fuel tap assembly at the SIX O'CLOCK POSITION- it doesn't, but there's a little stub which looks like that's where it goes. This is, as far as I know, the air in/outlet for the vacuum tap bellows, and nothing goes on there.

Hope this helps....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

ive spoken to fitz on phone, explained to him what its doing.

since my last post ive fired it up again and it warmed up okay ad revved out fine too.

i went for a ride after a mile or so got trouble, felt like the bike was fighting against me and firing on one cylinder was very hard to ride back home.

im thinking now it could either be that the carbs need syncing up correctly, or that there is a fuel line that has some pressure on it under the tank

at low rpm when the carb is full its okay.

problems happen when the revs increased and i think it may be drinking the fuel from one carb quicker than it is filling it up, crating the struggling on off cylinder.

all my pipes have been put back where they should have been, but i will take tank off and see if a furl line is being crimped by something restricting the flow.

another possibility is the coil.

has any one replaced a coil on the firestorm, if so how much are they?

any one had similar trouble to this?

i dont think its the timing as it turns over okay.

im going to ring a mobile mechanic ive been given the number for but this was my last resort as i cant afford any bills to be honest hence me trying everything my self.

thanks for any help in advance
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Was it running ok before you did any of the work????

Jim.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Seb,

(1) Did you fit standard new CCT's or fixed type :?:

(2) Did you remove the TPS (throttle position sensor) for some reason and forgot to reconnect it :?:

(3) When you re-aligned the timing marks on the front cylinder did you just move the cam wheels one or two teeth, or re-set the valve timing completely :?:

Also have a look at the connection from the HT lead to the spark plug cap. They've been known to cause problems before (they just un-screw) The fix is just cut 10mm or so off (just enough so they look good again) the HT lead and and re-fit to the plug cap.

Chris.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

PM sent seb
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Or the timing could be correct but 180 degrees out.
...Just a thought
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Pete.L wrote:Or the timing could be correct but 180 degrees out.
...Just a thought
Pete.l
That was my first thought????

Jim.

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Doesnt sound like a tooth out as mine ran for seconds before backfiring and stopping! Could well be 180 out though.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If it runs fine for a few minutes, revving out to over 7000- 8000 then your timing isn't likely to be 180 degrees out. You can't get it to pull more than 5000 under load when this is the case.

Just a thought, but is the tank breather blocked or trapped somewhere?
That might stop petrol flowing out of the tank after a while as the vacuum would build up in the tank.

Bit of a long shot, but worth blowing up the tank breather to make sure it's clear.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Collywog19

Post by Collywog19 »

I kinda had this problem, and turned out it was my front coil shagged.

New ( second hand ) one fitted and its been fine since.

Col
Bikes ftw!