Explanations ......

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikerpiker

Explanations ......

Post by bikerpiker »

A while back i done same as a few people on here , i drilled holes in the ends of my standard cans, for better louder "music" :) I then removed them ,tipped them upside down ,and emptied out the small swarf/shavings.

A few weeks later i drilled the holes out bigger ,to make it louder but didnt bother removing/emptying the drill swarf from them this time,as i had read here or poss elsewhere that there was no need to do this.

When i was doing the cct stopper modification a few months ago i was surprised to see loads of metal shavings, just like small cut finger-nails,which were stuck in all the groves in my standard airfilter :? Could this have been the shavings/swarf from when i drilled my exhaust cans :?:
I spent a while cleaning the filter and scraping the steel shavings out from the air-filter grooves with a flat screwdriver :!:
How could these pieces of steel get in my filter :?:

Another one....

When i fitted a new side stand switch last week i had to remove the sprocket cover to route the switch cable , then bolted the cover back in place.
I was then surprised to find i had lost the pressure in my clutch lever,it was coming freely more or less all the way to the handlebar :? :?
I bled the clutch in a few minutes and things have been fine since ,but why did it happen, how did air get into the system just by removing the drive sprocket cover :?:
Ive had the sprocket cover off before ,and replaced without having any clutch issues :!:
Any ideas :?:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Explanations ......

Post by sirch345 »

Spooky Stevie :!: I think the Mysterons have been playing tricks on you :!: :lol:

I'm sure you remember Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons :wink:

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

sirch345 wrote:Spooky Stevie :!: I think the Mysterons have been playing tricks on you :!: :lol:

I'm sure you remember Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons :wink:

Chris.
8O ...i actually had to Google that Chris,i honestly had no idea what you were on about.....yer showing yer age noo :!: :wink:
Stevie
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

They're both pretty wierd Stevie.

Which side of the air filter was the swarf? Intake or Carburettor?

Not that it probably makes much difference, either side of the filter would be just as freaky and unlikely occurence.

As for the clutch mate, it's possible that the slave cylinder seal is on it's way out and that you disturbing it allowed a small amount of air into the system. Replaced mine last year for same reason.
Any lowering of fluid levels in the resvervoir? Any trace of fluid or sludge in the circular housing where the push rod is to indicate signs of a leak?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The Clutch is the easy one. :P
Come on folks, think about it.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bikerpiker wrote:
When i was doing the cct stopper modification a few months ago i was surprised to see loads of metal shavings, just like small cut finger-nails,which were stuck in all the groves in my standard airfilter :? Could this have been the shavings/swarf from when i drilled my exhaust cans :?:
I spent a while cleaning the filter and scraping the steel shavings out from the air-filter grooves with a flat screwdriver :!:
How could these pieces of steel get in my filter :?:
Did you by by chance turn the bike upside down to make it easier to get at the exhausts?

Or might it have been like when racers go off into the gravel, then brake hard at the next corner, only to find that all the gravel in their fairing drops out and lands in front of them?

Anyway, you need to bin the standard filter if you've done a bafflectomy :wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

RedStormV wrote:They're both pretty wierd Stevie.

Which side of the air filter was the swarf? Intake or Carburettor?

Not that it probably makes much difference, either side of the filter would be just as freaky and unlikely occurence.

As for the clutch mate, it's possible that the slave cylinder seal is on it's way out and that you disturbing it allowed a small amount of air into the system. Replaced mine last year for same reason.
Any lowering of fluid levels in the resvervoir? Any trace of fluid or sludge in the circular housing where the push rod is to indicate signs of a leak?
Intake .....I think ive got it ....maybe it was alluminium from when i drilled my yoke for the risers ...that would explain it, i wonder if thats poss :?
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote: Intake .....I think ive got it ....maybe it was alluminium from when i drilled my yoke for the risers ...that would explain it, i wonder if thats poss :?
Now that sounds feasible Stevie, especially if you drilled it in-situ.

Re: The Mysterons, I forgot you're only a youngster yet :wink: :biggrin

That problem you experienced with the clutch slave cylinder was exactly how mine was when I had removed it (although still connected to the hose) for a couple of days. That was when I had the swingarm and shock out for servicing last. Mine too soon went back to normal after using it. Actually I wasn't expecting that to happen and only found out about it when I took the bike out for a ride.

Chris.

PS. Pete if you've got something to tell us, feel free :wink:
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

bikerpiker wrote: Another one....

When i fitted a new side stand switch last week i had to remove the sprocket cover to route the switch cable , then bolted the cover back in place.
I was then surprised to find i had lost the pressure in my clutch lever,it was coming freely more or less all the way to the handlebar :? :?
My clutch did the same thing this week after fitting new chain & sprockets...

Air had got into the system it seems, but bleeding cured this. Is it really possible that this is a slave cylinder seal problem? ...or a simpler explanation (cue Pete.L to inform us how daft we all are :wink: )

cheers
John
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Oh Okay then. :D
There's no big secret just check out the manual.
A) There is a small spring pushing on the piston.
B) If the slave piston is removed from the clutch shaft it will start to open. It's not a sealed system as air can get in the top.

If you want to lock the system off. Pull in the clutch and tie it to the handle bar (Rubber bands work well too).
Release the pressure on the hydraulics using the bleed nipple and then reseal it .
Then remove the cover. The closed piston in the master cylinder should keep the slave locked up solid until you've finished what ever it is you're up to.
Or...if you really want to be sure your piston doesn't do a runner and can't be fafted to mess about. Put a small G clamp around it. I do! :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good post Pete :D

I think I'll give the G clamp a go next time :!:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Great info, got me on that one :D
I've also had the problem when disconnecting the cover, but put it down to a disturbed air bubble.

If air's got in you'd need to completely bleed through, as the air can bring moisture into the system.

:!: Except, of course, that's for brakes, which get much hotter- can't imagine how clutch line fluid would reach boiling point?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.