SP1 white smoke - loads of it

General Bike chat
Dean O

SP1 white smoke - loads of it

Post by Dean O »

me beloved cherished babied SP1 has blown a head gasket, or maybe even cracked a head :(
no idea of the cause cos its never overheated, never been thrashed.
can't imagine a connection but I added some redex to the fuel a couple of days ago - about as likely a connection as scratchin me butt I reckon.
anyway, I guess its gonna sting me £600 to a grand at the stealers to get fixed.
Jbrebel

Re: SP1 white smoke - loads of it

Post by Jbrebel »

Bummer...not heard of much going wrong with them :?
SP1's rock!
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

Dude Redex will cause white smoke just use up the fuel thats in it and refill that will cure it... :wink2
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

That's shite mate :(

Heres hoping Marty is right aboot the Redex ,and it turns out to be nothing :!:
Stevie
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

yep I initially assumed the white smoke was the redex too. but it got a lot worse over about 20 miles riding and there's definitely coolant coming out the zausts & even a little dripping from the headers. FSM took a look & confirmed coolant in zausts & an empty coolant reservoir.
hoping there's no other damage seeing as it hasn't overheated & still runs fine with no nasty noises & there's no mayo in the oil - gutted & shocked in equal measure tho :(
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

WTF :eek2
Let's hope it's just a gasket. Have you pulled your plugs to see which pot's causing the trouble?
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

think its the front cylinder. and I've just been reading that adding TOO MUCH redex to too little fuel can cause overheating - gonna kick meself if its self inflicted.
bike's at FSM's house now. might ask him to refill the reservoir & start her up & check for bubbles tomorrow.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Mate thats double poo! With it not actually overheating it should be a cheap fix though, are they as simple to workon the pots as a Storm? Or are there extra HRC bits in the way?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

I'm a mechanical numpty Jim, I don't even do oil changes :lol:
mike reckons its gotta be a dealer jobbie, its very involved & he might not even risk a DIY if it was his own bike.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Fair enough, cylinder head shear bolts can be a night mare (I ve only done cars but must be similar) Suppose the dealer will bill you for a head skim as well. They will not risk any warping damage. Good luck Deano I hope its not too painful on the wallet.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

cheers matey :wink:
if its not cracked & just a gasket would they just skim the one head? would that not create a compression imbalance? (probs a numpty question but I ceased to be embarrassed by me ignorance years ago :biggrin )
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Right I am no Honda motorbike mechanic but they should dti the head (basically measure the surface of the head to check for warping) There will be a limit where they say its too far gone but mostly they will only mill a minute amount of material, this should not massively alter the compression. I could be off the mark though and they may do both heads to ensure perfection. Sure a more motorcycle biased mechanic (rather than Ford Orion or Panavia Tornado :lol: ) will be along to put your mind at rest.
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

my mind's been resting like a norwegian blue for at least 20 years already :lol:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Dean O wrote:my mind's been resting like a norwegian blue for at least 20 years already :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

OK i would suggest you change the oil. if it has white gungy crap in it you will know you have water in the oil and a blown gasket or a warped or cracked head... :wink2
which you already know ...sigh. i'll shut up now. think i'll go back to the balloon animal forum.. :whatever
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]