Stater probs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rex

Stater probs

Post by rex »

Can anyone help! :(

I own a 98 Storm and the problem is this;

Went to go for a run the other day and when I hit the starter button all I get is one click from the relay! The starter doesn't turn over at all. Tried fully charging the battery, rocking the bike back and forth in gear (in case stater had stuck) and checking all the fuses and wires.

Is it a dead stater, or before I go spending money has anyone any other ideas?

Any help more than welcome.
rex
The voices made me do it!
sirch345
Site Admin

non starter

Post by sirch345 »

Rex, I would test the battery to see if it did actually charge, if you turn the head light on does it light up ? then if it does try pressing the starter button with the lights on, if the head light dims drastically then I would say you need a new battery, if not and your symptions still persist then investigate further, try the cheapest and easiest options first,
cheers Chris.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Also check the +12v cable has not brocken off the starter motor.

Del.
rex

Starter

Post by rex »

Cheers guys.

The battery I used is almost new and had been fully charged, so its not that. Checked the starter cables and the earth is really badly corroded. A stupid place to put a cable, Right in the path of all the crud coming off the front wheel! (well done Honda!) It could just be a bad earth. Gonna take it off this wkend and look.

rex
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Rex,

That's NOT THE EARTH, it's the +12V. The starter motor earths through the casing. Just check it with a volt meter when the button is pushed. Also check the +12v cables that it bolted to the starter relay (these are lugged cables and help inplace with cap heads screws) with a meter too. One side is connected directly to the battery so be real careful and don't undo it and wave it about else you'll end up doing some unexpected arc welding. The other side big cable too runs to the starter motor. Check this cable for continuity and check it hasn't gone open circuit.

If the relay clicks when the button is pushed and then clicks again when it's released and you not seeing 12v on both sides when the botton is held in then the relay is faulty and needs replacing. If you push the startor button and you are getting 12v on both sides then it's either the cable or the startor motor itself.

Del.
rex

tested

Post by rex »

Tested voltage in and out. 12v in, 4v out! Relay clicks on press and release of button. Would you suggest its the relay thats knackered?

Cheers
rex
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

try it without the start cable on the motor as you will probably find both sides show 4v when the botton is held in due to voltdrop. If the battery is ok and the starter relay is ok then I think the start motor will have to come apart and check the brushes have not worn down completely or there is an open or short cct in the motor windings. Is this the same problem from the original post or a new one?

Del.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

where are you located?

Del.