fuel tap

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mark skett

fuel tap

Post by mark skett »

does anyone know what the little pipe at the bottom of the fuel tap is for because when the bike is running there is petrol coming out of it. not a drip but more of a little pore. i have looked in the manual but that only states the 2 large pipes that go to the carbs unless i am missing something.
cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: fuel tap

Post by sirch345 »

If petrol is coming out of that outlet at the bottom of the fuel tap then the tap diaphragm is on the way out. I think David Silver does a repair kit for that.

Chris.
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

would it be ok to block it up for the time being until i get it sorted because the bike is used daily
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Blocking it up is entirely up to you, I wouldn't suggest it myself, but if you've got no alternative I understand why you'd want to try that for a temporary measure. The only thing that would worry me by blocking it up is petrol my be sucked down the vacuum pipe and straight into the engine (rear cylinder).

The problem is not so much that petrol is coming out (although that could be dangerous I know) but the fact that the diaphragm is split will mean it's not operating the fuel tap as it should.

The diaphragm operates a valve in the petrol tap that allows the petrol to fill the carbs. Because the diaphragm is operated by a vacuum from one of the carbs it will be opening that valve less and less as the split gets bigger.

HTH

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Seconded.
You might be better off with a pipe and small catch tank- a little bottle will probably do. Make sure it's secured well away from the zorst, though!

That way you can see how much is coming out- you can empty it straight back in the tank.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

thanks for the info lads.
just got the chance to take tap apart and i had to look closely but found a tiny hole in what i think is the diaphragm. it was on the smaller part of the rubber thing that threads through the plastic white disc. is this the right bit.
cheers
Beast

Post by Beast »

Yes that sounds like the right part of the diaphram.
Try to get it replaced asap, replacement was cheap when i replaced mine approx £10 which aint too bad.
Dont want petrol to pour over that rear header exhaust now. ;)
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

cheers
ringing nrp in manchester tomoz been on there website and its £18 for the diaphram kit.
only thing is i need get a dent and chip out my tank as i just dropped it when answering phone and got both eyes full off petrol. i must of looked like spiderman along the wall trying to find the outside tap. bloody stung. and bloody wifes fault. lol