Unmatched tyres.

General Bike chat
bikerpiker

Unmatched tyres.

Post by bikerpiker »

As some of you guys know, i recently bought a Bandit 1200S.

Just before i bought it ,it had a new Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 on the front , ...but on the rear it has a Michelin Macadam ,but this tyre has only done around 350 miles so i dont want to change it for now.(200miles of those was me riding it home)

Is it really as dodgy as people make out,.. riding with unmatched tyres :?: would it be noticeable in normal road riding :?:

Just wondering what you guys reckon :)
Stevie
stormingjoe

Re: Unmatched tyres.

Post by stormingjoe »

personally wouldnt do myself, diff rubber compounds and profile and build technologies and then if unlucky to have an incident the mismatched tyres could be seen as contributary. get a macadam front as cheaper, then other way when worn.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

dont recon you'll notice any difference normall road riding matey, think it was more in the olden days of crossplys and radials :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'd ride it like that.
My only concern would be if the rear was the grippier tyre, because I expect from a matched pair that the back would start to get squirmy and give a few warnings before the front let go.

If you've got a better rear than front you might find that the first warning you get is your elbow on the deck, shortly followed by the rest of you.....

But as long as you're not trying to go for a local roundabout lap record, or track days you'll be fine.

As regards insurance, I can't see that they would be able to hold back payment on different tyre makes- as long as both makes/sizes and speed ratings are recommended for your bike.
After all, they can't apply it to cars- are you going to change the other three tyres as well if one has a puncture and isn't repairable?

Lastly, you'll be getting used to it for a while, and probably won't find its limits for a few weeks yet, by which time you'll have bought a much stickier pair of track-day-only's, a race exhaust, replacement shock and fork upgrade, tiny plate, DB Titanium screen, HID conversion, carbon everything and anodised bolt set, Rossi paint job, polished wheels, grips with tassles, etc, etc, etc, etc.....

Your insurance company won't recognise the bike anyway :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I wouldn't recommend it but..
as you are there already and I have done it in the past.
As long as you have the better tyre on the front it's not too bad until you really start to push things. I haven't got a good opinion of macadams so I wouldn't recommend putting a front one on to match the rear as it's an inferior tyre and for the few quid you save I think safety is worth the extra and I would upgrade the rear to match the front when you can afford it.
Meanwhile, you've got to take it steady and learn the new bike so just rag the macadam as soon as you get a feel for it :twisted:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

WOW!
That was quick posting Tony!
I'm sure your's wasn't up when I started to reply :P

Pete.l
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stop pissing about and go and ride the bloody thing.
Rich.

Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

marravtr wrote:dont recon you'll notice any difference normall road riding matey, think it was more in the olden days of crossplys and radials :D
Think your right there Marra. I'm running a mismatch atm and it makes no noticable difference. I'd prefer matched but I'm trying to get remaining wear out of the front.

I've run mismatched tyres on the storm with no issues.

And what cuppa says :biggrin
SP1's rock!
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

cupasoop wrote:Stop pissing about and go and ride the bloody thing.
Cheeky *%&*9^^8 :roll: ... AT LEAST I'LL GET TO IRELAND AT THE 1ST ATTEMPT ,NOT THE 3RD !!! WEATHER PERMITING :wink:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well I'd say you've already tried them in the wet Stevie :wink2

So now try them out carefully in the dry :!:

Chris.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

No such thing as bad tyres these days just make sure the front is a softer compound, ive mixed and matched tyres for years mainly using track day tyres as the middle is like new, under-inflated tyres can afford more grip but dont over inflate tyres (less grip) and never use over sized tyres this is silly and will f*ck everything up! :biggrin
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Not ideal but the 250 mile ride home from purchase should have given you all the info you needed. I have heard the Avon Storms are a good swap when its time for a change (good price too).
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Ive done around 800 miles now ,in both dry and wet ..............havnt had any butt twitches yet :lol: :lol: ......you know the feeling :?: lol
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sure a twitch would have shown up by now (800 miles) Stevie, if it was going too :biggrin

Chris.