A few questions

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
custard

A few questions

Post by custard »

I'm going to give the SP2 a good once over. As a result I have a couple of questions. Nothing too taxing!

Firstly - I've noticed one of the o-rings on the chain is bust. Other than that, with a clean and a lube, the chain looks in good nick, and from the adjusters it looks like it is fairly recent and not stretched too much. Is it new chain time or will I get away with this one for a while?

Secondly - can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide to rebuilding rear caliper - hopefully one that shows how to get the piston out!

Thirdly - I've found a black, ummm, something. Haha. Like a wire, but not if you catch my drift. Runs from under pillion seat all the way up to somewhere under the tank. It's not electrical, and theres approx a foot of excess under pillion seat. On the end theres an inch of clear tubing slid over it with another inch of clear tubing exposed which has a screw in the end! WTF is this?
tony.mon

Re: A few questions

Post by tony.mon »

Chain- you pays your money and takes your choice.
I'd not want to be down the road after my chain snapped and locked the rear, so my personal choice- change it. But up to you- lubed well it probably won't fail for quite a while.

Rear caliper- drive the piston out using the back brake lever. Just take the caliper off the swing arm and remove the pads- it should pop out. Remember to have something to catch the fluid- PAINTWORK!!!

Lastly, the little black pipe will be a vacuum pipe, probably its for a Scotoiler, but just possibly it's an extension for a carb balancer- but if it's the thin one made of harder plastic it'll be the oiler feed.
It's quite possible that there'll be a set of pipes for both purposes, one tee'd off the other.
The bolt in the end of the pipe is a common way of sealing the carb balancer pipe, you just remove it when connecting a balancer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
custard

Post by custard »

For the moment the chain will have to do. Gonna get my seal kit later on. I'm guessing it's pretty simple to do?

I guessed it was a vacuum tube. Any of you ever read the manual for an sp? Was it just American bikes that came with a wire to lock a helmet to the bike and a plastic bag to keep the manual dry?!?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

FirestormMike wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Lastly, the little black pipe will be a vacuum pipe, probably its for a Scotoiler, but just possibly it's an extension for a carb balancer- but if it's the thin one made of harder plastic it'll be the oiler feed.
It's quite possible that there'll be a set of pipes for both purposes, one tee'd off the other.
The bolt in the end of the pipe is a common way of sealing the carb balancer pipe, you just remove it when connecting a balancer.
I'd go for scottoiler seeing as SP's are fuel injected. :)
Woops! Shouldn't post with a hangover :oops:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Custard said
I guessed it was a vacuum tube. Any of you ever read the manual for an sp? Was it just American bikes that came with a wire to lock a helmet to the bike and a plastic bag to keep the manual dry?!?
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Hate to admit it but ...YES I HAVE READ THE MANUAL. Ah! feel better now. And the UK one comes with a helmet strap and manual bag too :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with Tony. I would make replacing the chain my number one priority, definitely not worth risking is unnecessarily, seeing as one of the o rings have split.

Chris.
Beast

Post by Beast »

C'mon peeps the odd 'o' or 'x' ring breaking is not a problem, just keep that chain well lubed.
Few year back when chains did not have the new rubber rings, we had no problems with them then and lasted just as long!
The new generation of chains with rubber rings are just there for lazy people not to oil their chain as much or for those that love using that not so good lube called chain wax... ;)
:lol:
Custard, i have had a 'x' rings go on mine before and currently on the chain im running for sometime now and its caused me no problems. Just keep them well lubed with decent oil. 8)