Tyre Warning!

General Bike chat
Beamish

Tyre Warning!

Post by Beamish »

Well set of for the Norfolk coast today, got 40miles in going in to a roundabout when the rear felt like it was about to overtake the front at about 40 mph :eek2, quickly pulled over and saw I had puncture. Green flag towed me to my tyre man (top dude) who came in to work especially to sort me out 8) . Asked me what I want doing (new Qualifier RR rear or a pair of part worn racecetecs, same as he fit to the blade) Obviously went for a pair of Metzlers again as they are superb but the shocker was revealing that the original Qualifier had a failed 5-6mm bung in. The tyre was brand new to look at and gave no indications of hiding a repair. What ever you do dont repair your tyres :eek2 The tyre man says that only certain types of Michelin tyres are allowed by law to be repaired without invalidating your insurance :eek2 After today I would not even consider riding on a repaired tyre, not sure I would of before but the evidence is now firmly imprinted in my mind.
By the way, the Racetecs have transformed the SP and it feels fabulous.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Re: Tyre Warning!

Post by Beamish »

Just give me the word and I will tee him up. I have to pre order the 190's as a lot of the teams use a 180 for quicker turn in. Top bloke and he knows his tyres. I paid him £90 for the pair yesterday as he came out especially on a Sun :D
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

£90 for the pair yesterday as he came out especially on a Sun
Sounds like a man to keep sweet :D I payed more than that for just one last month.

Tyres really do transform the SP. It's the most sensitive bike to worn tyres I've ever owned.
I love putting new rubber on. It's like getting on a new bike every time. :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

The first set of pre run Racetecs I fitted scared me. I had to get my head round all the temp damage that they inevitably come with but straight away they feel awesome. Within 100-300 miles they look like std road tyres again as away from the track you cant really punish them and all the melted rubber wears off. In the meantime those not in the know think you are a riding god, those in the know come up and ask who your supplier is :lol: .
gilson

Post by gilson »

Beamish wrote:Just give me the word and I will tee him up. I have to pre order the 190's as a lot of the teams use a 180 for quicker turn in. Top bloke and he knows his tyres. I paid him £90 for the pair yesterday as he came out especially on a Sun :D
I was speaking to Bryn Phillips at a recent track day, and yes he was selling me some Dunlops (he works for them), but I think he knows a few thinigs about tyres.

I was primarily buying some tyres for my Firestorm track bike, recently used Racetecs, K1 both front and rear. No complaints. But dunlops were on offer so I got some. Anyway, that's the history.

I asked him about my SP2 and the rear 190 tyre and asked if I could get some 180s to put on. He said that this was a hang over from the 90s where they used to do this to improve turn in speed. He now says that it's bad practice since the tyre profile changes dramatically when you put them on the wrong wheel. Imagine when if you put a 180 on a 190 tyre, it will stretch the tyre width ways. This results in the profile becoming more flat. Turning in would be faster, only when you meet the shoulder! It's the same principle as riding on a squared off tyre 8O , which is not a happy experience.

I've never ridden on 180 tyres on a 190 wheel, but it makes sense to me.

I've just changed my new BT-021 (on the bike when I bought it) with Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier II, IIRC. I thought the BT021s turned in too slowly. I'll be intersted to see tomorrow when I try it out.
No bike (yet).
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Gilson I am only relaying some info that I was privvy to. I personally would only fit 190's the the SP or Blade for that matter thats why I pre order them. 180s may be a preference for some racers but as I am no where near being a racer I cant comment. :D
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

What's the rim width of the SP?
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Answering my own question, its 6" so a 180 would be undersize and a bad idea :roll: