Tank Bag advice and recommendations please

General Bike chat
Phil-VTwin

Tank Bag advice and recommendations please

Post by Phil-VTwin »

As the title says, i am looking for a tank bag for the storm but have no idea what to go for :oops:

Previous bikes have been big BMW twins with loads of storage on them but i just need something to throw a few bits in without struggling to reach the handlebars over the bag.

Thanks
Last edited by Phil-VTwin on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride Safe
Phil
Jbrebel

Re: Tank Bag advice and recomendations please

Post by Jbrebel »

If you’re gonna go cheapish I use a Buffalo system tank bag that cost £40 and converts into a back pack. It expands to a reasonable size and is decent quality. It doesn’t leak and has the option of a map pocket on the top of the bag when zipped on or one built in the base so it can be used as purely a map holder should you not need the bag.

It's only problem (or benefit, depending on how you look at it!?) is it's magnetic and can scratch the tank slightly...the magnets do make it more secure to fit. Well, if your bike has a metal tank (which is a yes presuming it’s a storm?) the Buell is plastic :lol:...

If I was to buy one to fit more permanently I'd go for a Bagster/Baglux setup. My dad has one for his Guzzi and its excellent. These cost around £70-£100+ new for the bespoke tank cover (which also acts as a bag base for fitting) and the bag itself. The bags range in cost/size and colour to match your bike should you so wish.
SP1's rock!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Phil,
as you can see from the pictures on this thread
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14338
I use an Oxford Magnetic tank bag and I rate it highly.

It is quick to mount with the magnetic base [and i have no damage to the paint work, but I always check the surfaces to ensure the magnets havnt picked up any swarf] and there is no worries about it moving at speed. The base zips off and it converts to a rucksack, it is also expandable from the size you see in the picture to about 2" taller.

Even when fully expanded, I have no problem with the riding position, or seeing the clocks.

I have owned the one in the picture for about 7 years, and I use it regularly, even on short trips, just to cary the basics. it comes with a waterproof cover, and the build quality is good.
AMcQ
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

FirestormMike wrote:£20 from Lidls (when they stock the bike gear)
Magnetic and strapped, used mine loads of times now and it's spot on. Even has a built in waterproof cover.

*edit
This one is also expandable, has a map pocket, mobile phone/ipod pocket with buttonhole for wire, converts to a rucksack etc.
seeing the post about the oxford one reminded me of it's other features. For £20, you can't go wrong. I use mine as a tailpack too and I'm sure Timbo has one also.
Me aswell :D
.......i was amazed by all the features on it ,im sure one external part unzips to become a bumbag, i dont even think it was £20, around £18 iirc.
Occasionally Aldi's sell them as well :!:
Stevie
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Thanks guys, the Lidl's one sounds perfect, especially the price as i am currently one of the 2+ million!

Unfortunately neither Lidl or Aldi are showing them on the websites and they dont know when they will be back :(

AMCQ46
Yes i did see those on your bike, i have been looking at the cheaper Oxford ones expecially this one http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3124.htm, they are a bit cheaper on evilbay.

Thanks again
Ride Safe
Phil
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Is that the Lidl one?
Ride Safe
Phil
Jbrebel

Re: Tank Bag advice and recommendations please

Post by Jbrebel »

Sorted :biggrin cheap at half the price :)
SP1's rock!
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

But do i have the patience to wait! :eek2
Ride Safe
Phil
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Just looked on the Oxford link you put in and I am shocked at the price now!

I am glad I bought mine years ago, I am sure it was a damn site cheaper then!!!!!!

for the Price the Lidl one wins.............be patient
AMcQ
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Ride Safe
Phil
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

A bargin, well done
AMcQ
Ernie Cooley

Post by Ernie Cooley »

Magnetic and strapped, used mine loads of times now and it's spot on. Even has a built in waterproof cover.

*edit
This one is also expandable, has a map pocket, mobile phone/ipod pocket with buttonhole for wire, converts to a rucksack etc.
seeing the post about the oxford one reminded me of it's other features. For £20, you can't go wrong. I use mine as a tailpack too and I'm sure Timbo has one also.
What he said, I picked one up and think it is perfect. Mate took it to the TT and said he could get loads of stuff in it.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

*edit
As above, bargain :thumbup:
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Been using the Lidl tank bag for quite sometime now its been through ALOT. The magnets are still secure along with the wrap around ties. I've lost / snapped one of the zip pull tags but it still does up. Is perfect bar the clear plastic top for the maps which is now splitting on the seams then I do over stuff cramming in alot of sh1t in there have to push down to fit in so is stuffed littery to the brim.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Use an expanding magnetic Oxford bag from eBay on tank including a sat nav ticked into the clear map section and located at the correct angle for viewing with velcro and a 'Fast Bag' on rear for West Country touring.
Works well.

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!