The engine is making...tac tac tac :(

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mikevtr

The engine is making...tac tac tac :(

Post by mikevtr »

Hi again....and with another problem:

I want to buy another Firestorm, for my brother, it's red, like mine; but has a problem, and that is:

The bike is starting, but i don't want to move it because of some noise who sound very loud in front, like in the firt piston; like "tac, tac, tac"....and i don't know what to do, except going to a mechanic.

Do you know what it can be?

Thank you very much.

Mike
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: The engine is making...tac tac tac :(

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Mike, it sounds like it could be the front CCT (cam chain tensioner) is on it's way out. If it is the CCT I wouldn't go running the engine as it is.

As you thought definitely don't go riding it.

This link explains how to renew a CCT:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

You must follow it for replacing a CCT,

Chris.
mikevtr

Post by mikevtr »

Yes, i think so too....but i smell some smoke on the right can when it's start the engine....maibe the valves are gone. The bike it cost me 900eur and i want to buy it because i think i can make it work, and is not so much....what do you sugest?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Is is an oil smell or rich exhaust fumes you are smelling :?: If it's burning oil, as in a broken piston ring (as Timbo mentioned) you should see some blue smoke from the exhaust. If it's rich exhausts fumes it could be a bent exhaust valve and that could be what causing the sound you're hearing.

Ask the selller if he has had a CCT replaced recently as my guess he has on the front cylinder. It sounds as if the front CCT let go and it was not caught in time, causing the cam chain to jump which allowed the valve(s) to come in contact with the piston bending them.

If you can do the work yourself and can get hold of spares at a reasonable price, replacing a bent valve or two won't be that expensive. If you have to get a garage to repair it work out what that's going to cost and see if it's still a good buy,

Chris.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Look for another one :wink2
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

+1 ,no need to buy a rough one when good ones are available. Until you have owned one and know a bit about them I wouldnt rush in and hope for a cheap fix. The guys on the forum will help all they can though if you decide to buy.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
mikevtr

Post by mikevtr »

Hi all and thank you for your advises,

I will not buy it, is to risky.

Mike.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mikevtr wrote:I will not buy it, is to risky.

Mike.
That is probably the best thing to do Mike :)

Chris.
fritz

Post by fritz »

my old vtr ate itself twice when the front cct gave out!!!

the exhaust valve stems bend and trash the guides and usualy cost about £500 to repair!!! bits are cheap, but having the knackard guides machined out of the head and new ones made is dear!!! my only saving grace was that the mechanic who did the repairs is a good friend who is well versed in honda mechanics and did the repairs as a weekend job!!

any rattle is best avoided if you can. there are always others for sale!!