VTR with luggage

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
bluesman

VTR with luggage

Post by bluesman »

Ok, this are same pannier I use on my DR800 - now easily attacheable to VTR.
30 liter each, overall width of bike with them at rear - 800 mm
Rack is made by bolting self-made adaptors to accept Aprilia Pegaso panniers to Nonfango racks which I got off eBay. New.
Project cost: panniers 99 euro per pair, practically new. Rack - 30 euro, mounting kit 15 euro, 4 pieces from DIY store was used just a plate metal, swearing, welding and rattle can of paint.
Ah, yes, and piece of inox + old Myford lathe to make lock stubbs on which Pegaso panniers have to slide to get locked in place.

I do not go to racetrack with Storm and do not care about looks of bike much to be honest as long as technically it is in ideal state. But I think it looks OK for touring setup. I also just bough small top case to match side cases for when I go somewhere far with my wife. But width was important for lane splitting (filtering?).

4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
benny hedges

Re: VTR with luggage

Post by benny hedges »

bet it's ace for wheelies if you fill them boxes with bricks :D
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Ha! :wink: I'd just crank up settings on my all-singing fully adjustable Wilbers shock :cool2

No, to be serious - they are not big panniers, smaller than most people fit, but look bigger from side because they are less than 20 cm deep. And I never load more than 10 kg per box even on DR...
I'm curious how all setup + my missus will affect it, but since in Norway I met guy with wife and shedloads of luggage in top box on FZ6 and it was OK I am sure I'll be fine too.
When I travel on my own it's just roll bag on pillion seat.
neil

Post by neil »

weight shouldn't be a problem, mine copes ok. gaps are a problem though
redvtr
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Wow! Those are properly big panniers!
Is that 45-54 liters? Kappa? Did you made racks yourself?
I guess they sticking fair bit wider than 80 cm...I found myself that for me over 85 cm starts to give me troubles in traffic filtering...
You know that Givi now have "flat" panniers, 19 cm deep, called B36N - if you have same fitting you can click them on easily, I think Kappa have same fittings for side cases, no?

BTW - Cool view. Is it that famous Yorkshire viaduct?
Must go there once!
neil

Post by neil »

I bought the rack & pannier rails off ebay, they fitted easily but had to modify rails to fit the boxes (also off ebay). Got a top box with them but never bothered to fit it, don't think I really need it. Never measured the width but it is wider than extended mirrors. Prefer hard boxes keeps things dry & more secure, have got soft panniers but takes too long to put on. You're right viaduct is at Ribblehead in Yorkshire
redvtr