Painting Forks and Easter Eggs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Painting Forks and Easter Eggs

Post by Wicky »

A good 12 hours
masakabassist wrote:Looking good, I'm thinking of spraying mine myself. How long did you leave the primer to cure for before spraying with Hammerite (I'll be using that for my swingarm too)?

James
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh leave them until the paint doesn't smell, then it's propely cured.
done my frame and swing arm etc in satin hammerite - cracking finish imo & very hard wearing.
your legs look lovely :angel: :think: :oops:

if you read the instructions on the hammerite - (which no-one ever does lol) you will get best results and stickage if you paint straight onto metal.
the primer will peel before the hammerite, stone chips etc.
i cleaned mine up with cif mousse first to get the shite off, then a wipe with thinners before spraying.
a rub with 1000 grade wet & dry between coats does wonders for the finish :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
masakabassist

Post by masakabassist »

Strange thing is, I sprayed the Hammerite straight onto the swingarm and it has just peeled off (this is the reason why I've bough the primer). So I'm guessing if I rub it all the way back with sandpaper then it shouldn't peel?

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

James
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Prepare the ali surface - wipe down with white spirit - try hammerite special metals primer** on small area first for fastness

** http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/inf ... primer.jsp

Or an acid etch primer (wonderful but nasty toxic stuff!)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165625
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts