optimate chargers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RAINMAKER

optimate chargers

Post by RAINMAKER »

Anyone use one? can they be used without disconecting battery?
Do they damage alarm/immobiliser (Meta 357T).
any advice wellcome.........Paul.
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Paul,

Optimate chargers are designed to keep he battery charged whilst on the bike, they where introduced to keep bikes with alarms secure whilst being laid up for a while. You should have no problems with the battery connected.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
t00lkit

charger

Post by t00lkit »

bought myself one at the NEC show last year, used it everyday since.
not once had a problem starting the bike.

with the kit you get a tail piece that wires direct onto the battery terminals. you can then disconnect/connect up your charger easily whenever you take the bike out. good thing about them is that it replaces the charge thats taken by the alarm while its stood.

i've recently used the tail piece to source the eletric needed for a free pair of hot grips i got from re-subscribing to Bike, so when i go out when its cold, i disconnect the optimate, connect the grips and voila! (prob spelt wrong)

anyway enough bull. recommended.
RAINMAKER

many thanks

Post by RAINMAKER »

thanks for the info. thought that was how it worked but cant beat asking someone who knows..........think I'll order one.
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

go to and buy part number 433-1459, its £19.90 + Vathttp://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/search/Sear ... kSubmit=Go
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Looking at the RS one (http://www.rswww.com) it's not the same as an optimate, it has different voltage settings but does not check the battery like the optimate. The optimate monitors the current leakage of the battery/bike and charges when needed. It also does this check every 30 minutes or hour (not sure which). It will also try and recover a fully discarged battery and de-sulphate it and also will give you an indication of when the battery is coming the end of it's life before it catches you out. I have left all of my bike on these for, well the longest was 3 months with the alarm armed and it started first push on saturday morning just gone. The optimate also comes with a short harness (aswell as crok. clips) to connect to the bikes battery that has a plug on the end for connecting the charger easily without removing the seat etc..

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
Comes with everything you need and you can get extra fitments,if you want them, all separately.Just bought one one Sunday, connected everything up and bike started first time this morning.It was more ready to go than I was.

Brrr (Bloody cold)
Pete.l
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

You pay for what you gets 8O
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
bunnybouy

Post by bunnybouy »

hmm think i need one on those tried to start the zzr the other day and it was flat :?

it dosent get much use now don't know why :wink:
W@zzA

Optimate

Post by W@zzA »

I used an accessory plug and socket, the same as the optional one you can get from optimate but cheaper. From vehicle wiring products on 0115 9305454 part No. 180038 for the socket with rubber cap £4.83 and 60116 for the plug (fused) £3.42 the little white plug is the same as radio controlled car batterys which your local model shop should stock but take your charger with you as there are a couple of different types.
I put mine opposite the seat lock and just plug it in when I get home, I've put mine on a long bit of twin flex from the bike to indoors so you can switch off before you go and on when you get in.
Also if you have this plug you can plug it into the car cigarette lighter socket to charge the car :idea:
Next I'm gonna put a junction box on the wall abouve the bike with a flashing 12v LED and a label "WARNING 10,000 VOLTS" 8O that'll scare em off :idea:

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.