Cam Chain Failure

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Richmarch

Cam Chain Failure

Post by Richmarch »

Whilst out on my '01 plate yesterday, I think my Cam Chain failed. Whilst running the bike was making a horrible metal hitting metal sound so I pulled in and switched off. Attempted a restart and it sounded like a big bag of nuts and bolts being hit together with no attempt to fire up.
I am yet to be brave and start stripping bits off but I am fairly certain the cam chain has failed. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how much did the repair cost?

Cheers,
tony.mon

Re: Cam Chain Failure

Post by tony.mon »

Unlikely to be a chain failing, it's almost certainly the CCT (cam chain tensioner) which fails and retracts, usually on the front cylinder leading to the chain jumping two or more teeth and valve/piston meetings.

Have a look on the many posts in the workshop section regarding manual CCT's, "fitting a "stopper" mod so that even when the internal spring fails the CCT won't retract far enough to allow chain slippage, and loads of advice.

It's usually not a big job, head off and replace valves, grind them in and re-shim.
Be careful to set the valve timing correctly, it's easy to get it 180 degrees out, see the threads on that, too.

We've all been there!

Cost is usually around £140-150, unless it's also taken out the inlet cams and that adds about another £35.

Don't get it done at a main dealer, they'll think it's Christmas :Stick:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

this is becoming a bit of a problem, last year heard of very few going but this year is seems to be prevalent.
Richmarch

Post by Richmarch »

Thanks for the info, thats settled my fears...... a little... I'll get it investigated next week and hope for the best.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Where are you in the country?
There's enough expert owners around....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Richmarch

Post by Richmarch »

Am in Essex, just north of Colchester/
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

bazza696 wrote:this is becoming a bit of a problem, last year heard of very few going but this year is seems to be prevalent.
It's always been an issue.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

May you go forth with my sympathies!!

Mine went on me when out riding to work one day and I'd only had my bike 1 month!! it was 24K at the time. Long before I joined this site. Mine sounded like a load of nuts and bolts going round the washing machine on a spin 8O :wtf: ! Mine took out all of my valves too..big old mess.....I went on http://www.gissit.com and asked the question if anyone had a 2nd hand front cylinder etc.They then put your request to all their registered breakers and they get in touch via your email addy. I got another one within 2 days from a guy called Mark @bikeparts his number is 01353 860 956. Really helpful etc :thumbup: . Mine came from a Superhawk I think as it had the dowels in it which I think the UK versions do not. Dave did the job himself and set the timing up etc and got my baby back together again, so all it cost me was around £90 and had to put up with a bit of huffing and chuffing and bit of colourful language from his nibbs not to mention my bike in my kitchen :eek2 :eek2 but all ok now thank god.

Just got to get myself some Ape stuff and I'm all sorted. I'm sure the workshop section has loads of stuff in it to help you get it sorted.

ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Sat May 29, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Richmarch wrote:Am in Essex, just north of Colchester/
If you want I can take a peek as I'm just South Colchester - but from your description the damage has been done. DON'T ATTEMPT TO START IT AGAIN.

Motorcycle Recycle down at the Hythe in Colchester might have a new head if required. And get some APES ordered pronto
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fritz

Post by fritz »

lots of damage!!!!

cct has gone (the top first loop of the spring has snapped off due to condensation in the crankcase) and when you cut the engine, thats when the cam chain jumped a couple of teeth.

the damage was caused when you tried to restart it and the piston hammered the valves back into the head.

if they were fully open at that point then they have either busted a cam shaft or bent badly enough to need new valve guides.

good luck with the repair mate. and like the others said, sort the cct out.
babysitter

Post by babysitter »

Richmarch wrote:Am in Essex, just north of Colchester/
Hi live east Colchester nr Manningtree if you need any help
Harley Davidson Roadking 1690 / Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster
54 Honda Varadero XL1000 / Honda Firestorm Red,/ BSA B40WD Trials,
/Audi TT 225 / Foard Transit T300/ VW Touareg
Firestarter0230

Post by Firestarter0230 »

Gutted for you , I know from very recent experience how you feel.
On the brighside though I still can remember how to fix it, so if you need a hand
let me know as I live in Maldon and could come over and help you fix it.
Qualified Hetas engineer pm for information...