REG - REC stuffage n things.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chuxsta

REG - REC stuffage n things.

Post by chuxsta »

hi all,

as some know i just replaced my battery as i thought it was shafted, but was still getting issues. and thanks to benny hedges off the site he sent me his spare RR to get me running again.

i just removed the existing one pictured here.

its got a heatsink on it un like the standard one...

and here is a pic of the connecting block .. something has been cooking away ..

any ideas what would cause it?
what is that pin for?
my concern is if the cause is coming from else where, so fitting another RR will not make any difference.
OR is it a problem with the old RR fitted that caused the burn out in the pins.

Phil-VTwin

Re: REG - REC stuffage n things.

Post by Phil-VTwin »

That connection is from the stator coils, get your test meter out and test the coils as per the workshop manual.
Ride Safe
Phil
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A connection hasn't been securely made, and it's been arcing across, causing burning of the plastic surround.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem with either the R/R or alternator stator windings, but meter it out to make sure, then tighten each connector slightly and make sure that they make a good connection.

Similar burning can be found on the H4 connector going on to the headlight sometimes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

thanks for the feedback,
could the issues you have listed have any thing to do with the battery issue i was having, still having to be honest.

if i ride with the main beam on for a long period or use my heated grips when i come to start the bike up after its been stood for a period after it struggles to turn over.
and if i put it on the optimate its never on the green, it always drops down to the amber light,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Could easily be a factor.
Now for the science bit- pay attention :lol:

There are three parts to the stator, each produces current for just under half the crank rotation, so by overlapping all three you get a near- constant flow of current.
The current produced by each sector at other times is -ve, not +ve, so the rectifier part of the reg/rec turns this into heat which is dissipated to the air.
Now all you're left with is a (always +ve but varying in voltage) flow of current that goes into the regulator bit.
That is then regulated to a voltage that can't exceed the voltage that the battery can accept. (about 14.6v or thereabouts).

The battery "buffers" the stored electricity, and delivers it to all of the electrical components on the bike via the wiring harness.

So if one of the stator's outputs isn't contributing properly to the charging system, then you might have as little as 2/3 of the charging current going to the battery, which might then not be sufficiently charged to hold enough stored current to easily start the bike. The other 1/3 is at least partly being used up as a small spark arcing over the gap in your contact, making heat and melting the plastic.

The battery loses a bit of it's stored charge over time, so if it isn't fully charged when you stop the bike there'll be even less when you come to start it again, and if there's not enough.....

BTW, the engine's quite a load to turn over, especially in cold conditions, so I'd advise always turning off all electricals when starting it, including lights and heated grips, external power to sat-navs etc.
Once it fires, turn them back on.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

FirestormMike wrote:Thats exactly the same thing that happened on my old bike when the R/R tried to cook my right butt cheek.
what did was the cause and the fix? if you found one that is.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:
So if one of the stator's outputs isn't contributing properly to the charging system, then you might have as little as 2/3 of the charging current going to the battery, which might then not be sufficiently charged to hold enough stored current to easily start the bike. The other 1/3 is at least partly being used up as a small spark arcing over the gap in your contact, making heat and melting the plastic.
that was the issue with my cbx charging circuit - cost me 2 new batts before i found out a stator coil was earthing itself through the r/r
i had a charging voltage of 8v and even after an overnight charge, the coil would flatten the battery in just a few hours.
it would start up and ride great on a full charge, but if i put the lights on it would die on me after 40 miles or so, usually in the middle of nowhere or on a motorway :thumbdown:

just as a precaution i added a socket (like an optimate socket) for charging and emergency jump starting.
did the same with my storm and always keep some light duty jump leads under the seat - made from the old leads and croc clips from a cheapo battery charger that died on me.

since replacing the stator coils as a set, and another new battery, it's been fine.
even put the old r/r back on out of curiousnessocity and it works fine.

under the seat now i carry a bike tyreweld, a head and tail lamp and my jumpleads.
dib dib & all that :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

A quick Q to those in the know. I have just bought a R6 rectifier but I think it's a later model and has 6 terminals (should have asked - I know :sick: ).

Does anyone know whether it can be used for the reg/rec mod? if so does anyone know the wiring order or how to test for the right connections?

Looking forward to the answer....I don't want to buy another one.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

stormarmy wrote:
Does anyone know whether it can be used for the reg/rec mod? if so does anyone know the wiring order or how to test for the right connections?

Looking forward to the answer....I don't want to buy another one.
When you posted this I tried to find a '09 R6 wiring diagram without success.
If you can locate one and post a link then we can have a look.

Or an R6 someone can meter?

I can't think of why you'd need an additional wire, unless the stator windings have an earth???
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

Tony.mon,

Thanks for the response. The item I have is a 06 / 07 model. The pdf for the workshop manual is at http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/trac ... 06-r6.html (4th post down.)

The wiring diagram is on the back pages; any pointers / info would be gratefully received.

Cheers..
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Well that diagram still shows 5 connections but you say there are 6 on yours :?:
Ride Safe
Phil
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

Hmm,

here's a couple of photos:

and

The 06/07 description was off the fleabay description.. I can dig out the part number if that helps.

TVM
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Hmmmm yes post the p/n of the regulator please
Ride Safe
Phil
stormarmy

Post by stormarmy »

Part Number as written is:

First line: SH678-11
Second line: G6.1.3

Good luck and thanks
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

OK, that unit is fine and used in lots of bikes, wire it up as per the instructions and ignore the extra pin as all the wiring diagrams i have looked at which uses it only use the 5 pins.
Ride Safe
Phil