Steering head bearing adjustment

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Steering head bearing adjustment

Post by RQ »

Guys,

I'm having p1ss luck with bearings at the moment (car is eating wheel ones) and I now find that the head bearing is loose on the Storm.

Is is a case of replacing it, or can the thing be adjusted or tightened. Is there anyone out there that has done it ?

RQ.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Check them asap, they can be adjusted but it depends on how damaged they are and how long they have been loose. If they have been like it for a while then the stem has more than likely been rotating in the top inner seat, which is not good as it'll wear out the stem and then when you replace the bearing seat it'll be all floppy, which is also not too good. Best thing to do is get the front of the bike off the ground but not supported on anything at the front end, ie, bottom yoke, forks, wheel etc. The bike has to be steady as you can then feel the play at the bottom of the forks by grasping then and attempting to move then backwards and forwards. You adjust them by removing the bars, top yoke and then the lock nut/washer. It's best to remove the fairing and tank too just incase things slip then it'll save some cracks/dents as the top yoke nut a FT. To be honest if your going to check/adjust and clean/regrease them then change them as a honda bearing kit is just over £50. If you do change them then the hardest parts are getting the head stock races in firm and square, not hammers please and then getting the bottom inner bearing seat off and the new one on the stem. If you do do it then you must change these, if not the near bearings will wear our real quick.

Del.
W@zzA

Head set!

Post by W@zzA »

I replaced mine with a taper roller set and found the bottom seal which goes under the bottom bearing sits wrongly with taper rollers and I had to tap it into a better shape to fit :!: The top nut is done up effing tight and as I've got an ally stem and top nut (Fireblade) and I don't want to strip it does anyone know the right torque setting for the blade :?:

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Waza

I avoid using the roller bearings on the road because of the bottom seal but usually grind the excess off the bearing race so the seal fits over properly. Most honda dealers will tell you the torque setting, call one and ask to be put through to the workshop.

Del.
W@zzA

Head set

Post by W@zzA »

Cheers Del!
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks Del, I'll get at that this afternoon !

RQ.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Hi Del.

Having a hiccup with the bearings, sent a PM. My luck with all things mecahanical is coming true again..... :evil: