How to balance your carbs

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rev. Steve

Re: How to balance your carbs

Post by Rev. Steve »

Thanks Hawk, but my problem is that where the pie goes into the carb it appears to be sheared off and I don't know where or how to route a new pipe
IMG_20211016_170337.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rev. Steve wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm I know this is an old post but was wondering where the vacuum pipe goes to as this is what I found when I tried to ballance the carbsIMG_20211016_170337.jpg
I wasn't sure what you meant exactly either.

The vacuum take off point I have circled it in red in the photo below, it's part of the inlet manifold.
It looks like yours could be sheared off as you mention, either the adapter or the original screw or bolt, I am not 100% sure what it had originally :problem:

You're going to have to try to remove what has sheared off.
Vacuum take off point.jpg
Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:05 pm
Rev. Steve wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm I know this is an old post but was wondering where the vacuum pipe goes to as this is what I found when I tried to ballance the carbsIMG_20211016_170337.jpg

The vacuum take off point I have circled it in red in the photo below, it's part of the inlet manifold.
It looks like yours could be sheared off as you mention, either the adapter or the original screw or bolt, I am not 100% sure what it had originally :problem:

Chris.
Origonaly it would have been a cap head bolt... If its a brass take off thats snapped that would be hollow, so surly it would make the bike run a bit off as its open to atmos...

To get at that, min will be tank, air box & carbs off to be able to get at it...good luck if it's the origonal bolt thats sheared off it's gonna be a bugger to get out...Drilling could mean bits of swarf in the motor...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:09 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Chris.
Origonaly it would have been a cap head bolt... If its a brass take off thats snapped that would be hollow, so surly it would make the bike run a bit off as its open to atmos...

To get at that, min will be tank, air box & carbs off to be able to get at it...good luck if it's the origonal bolt thats sheared off it's gonna be a bugger to get out...Drilling could mean bits of swarf in the motor...
With the carbs removed you should be able to put a clean rag inside of the inlet manifold to catch any swarf if you have to drill out what is left. If you cover the hole on the inside of the inlet manifold with grease, that will help in contain any swarf from the drilling. Still use a clean rag as well.

It most likely is the adapter that has sheared off as they don't take a lot of force to do that being made of brass. When fitting a new one don't over tighten it else you will do the same thing. When I fitted mine a put a little Loctite on the threads, then just nipped it up,

Chris.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Cheers guys, it is running lumpy which is why I thought I'd balance the carbs. Seems like everytime I go to do something I find more broke bits
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

If anyone reading this is after a barb to fit the front carby vaccum port, this is the Honda one (P/N 16214-MB0-000)

Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Yes mate, I'm after one but don't t have enough posts to pm you
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Bought a set of easy outs and shifted the broken one, thanks for all the help and suggestions
Attachments
IMG_20211106_123602.jpg
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Well, as I said previously it seems like one job leads to another. While I was sorting out the vacuum pipe I thought I might as well find the reason why the choke didn't work. This is what I pulled out the carb.
Guess I'm buying new starter valve sets.
Attachments
16362103733198478974100687634549.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rev. Steve wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:55 pm Bought a set of easy outs and shifted the broken one, thanks for all the help and suggestions
I'm glad you managed to get it out okay, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve »

Cheers Chris
Bought new choke cable (snapped one trying to get bobbin thing out) fowlups have provided the vacuum pipe just need to buy new bobbin things, thinking I might be on the road mid June 2022 👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rev. Steve wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:45 pm Cheers Chris
Bought new choke cable (snapped one trying to get bobbin thing out) fowlups have provided the vacuum pipe just need to buy new bobbin things, thinking I might be on the road mid June 2022 👍
You'll get there I'm sure :thumbup:

Chris.