what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:34 pm Sirch... this is the cable I bought... For The Murvinator.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313584573453

Fitted it today...Only issue is the nobbly bit (techincal term...Nipple) that fits in the carb end is too big...

Too long & too fat... So it just needed a bit filed off too allow it to fit in the hole but then it's too long to allow the cable inner to fit in corectly. So file down a good mm of the end & it fits nicely now...

The amount off free cable inner when pulled fully through is a couple of mm longer easy to adjust out...

So boxed it back up...bloody thing wouldn't start so drained the batt...Damm

Meanwhile in Big Bird world... Dug out a spare ingnition barrel, pluged it in...Nish not even idiot lights...Hmmm, pluged the old one back in still nothing...Checked main fuse again, thats ok...quick meter across the batt...proper flat...

Just sitting in the bike it's died in less than a week...New Batery time me thinks...

Took the battery off stuck that on the charger shows 1.6 volts ! & wouldn't take a charge...

Gave up as proper cold, tools away, The Mervinator on charge...In out of the wind coffee on...
Ah good news on that punt of yours regarding the Fireblade throttle cable :thumbup:
I'm happy to hear it works. You did better than I did with the one I bought :wink:

Many thanks for letting me know, and the link 8)

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

Jamoi wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:17 pm Started project "sexybotty" today Image

ImageImageImage
Awe, that is looking very sexy Jamie 8)

You must have long legs :lol:

Where did you find that seat unit :?:
Is it a racing unit being a single seat job :?:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm Too high Jamie. Image

On mine, whic has been on the bench for over a month !!!

I fitted the flow commander

And cleaned and re oiled the BMC filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to see you are back in the garage/workshop Al :thumbup:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Not really storm related other than this is my warm up ready to rebuild my storm over the winter. Today.. and the previous 9 days I have been sorting this thing out. Fancied something different to go with my Storm and Varadero.. the vara being a cheap 05 plate I picked up a few months ago as a non runner.. And this thing I picked up a couple weeks ago after it been stood in a damp garage for 7 years.
Attachments
IMG_20211114_131146.jpg
IMG_20211123_185048.jpg
a.jpg
IMG_20211129_184538.jpg
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Shauned71 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:48 am Not really storm related other than this is my warm up ready to rebuild my storm over the winter. Today.. and the previous 9 days I have been sorting this thing out. Fancied something different to go with my Storm and Varadero.. the vara being a cheap 05 plate I picked up a few months ago as a non runner.. And this thing I picked up a couple weeks ago after it been stood in a damp garage for 7 years.
Nice find but don’t touch the front water union on the engine as it’ll crumble and don’t cut the number plate holder or you’ll be loosing £250 ! .
Not a cheap bike to fix up as I’m finding out . Good luck and keep all the original parts. If you do touch the front water pipe union here is a part that’ll fit as the blade part is discontinued
Attachments
BF66587E-154C-449C-A0AF-ACFB35C966F5.jpeg
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I picked up a mig welder from a friend of mine today, so I'm looking forward to trying some welding out soon.

In the mean time, I've fine tuned the subframe layout and refined the seat unit a little further. I'm quite happy with where it sits now Image

I took about 50mm off the length of the seat area and leveled it off a fraction. Any lower and I'll be struggling for leg room! It feels great in this position.

Still lots of head scratching to come no doubt... there's a lot of things fit inside the subframe and I'm going to try my best to make it quite a well organised area.

Patiently waiting for various parts to continue with it now Image

Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Big Bird saga...

So having changed the starter & the cable...

Ingnition on...silch it's killed another battery... :confused :confused

Three days just been sitting has drained a known good battery which once removed & put on a smart charger shows it's dead...

Put another battery on, get ingnition lights up, press starter turns over, phhutt blows fuse...

So I've tried a diffrent ingnition switch, a different starter button, a diffrent solinoid & now a different starter...still popping fuses...grrrrr... Thats now 6 fuses & two batteries double grrrrr...

What next...staor ? R/R ? Swap loom ?...

Some good news stuck another fully charged batt on The Murvinator & that fired up & runs sweet, ran up to temp & fan kicks in, let it cool & checked coolent level, needed a little top up... Fairing back on all connected up, all lights & indi's work so thats back on the road...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

MacV2 wrote:Big Bird saga...

So having changed the starter & the cable...

Ingnition on...silch it's killed another battery... :confused :confused

Three days just been sitting has drained a known good battery which once removed & put on a smart charger shows it's dead...

Put another battery on, get ingnition lights up, press starter turns over, phhutt blows fuse...

So I've tried a diffrent ingnition switch, a different starter button, a diffrent solinoid & now a different starter...still popping fuses...grrrrr... Thats now 6 fuses & two batteries double grrrrr...

What next...staor ? R/R ? Swap loom ?...

Some good news stuck another fully charged batt on The Murvinator & that fired up & runs sweet, ran up to temp & fan kicks in, let it cool & checked coolent level, needed a little top up... Fairing back on all connected up, all lights & indi's work so thats back on the road...
Electrics are my pet hate! Have you tried visually checking the entire loom? Especially on the sections that pass through things or have movement?
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I fitted some Gilles GP light clipons this afternoon, wow they're a nice bit of kit! Beautiful machining.

They are a little lower and further forward than the stock ones. Also, wider and much less of a dropped angle, so should be a lot more comfortable and give me a little more leverage and weight on the nose

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Jamoi wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm I fitted some Gilles GP light clipons this afternoon, wow they're a nice bit of kit! Beautiful machining.

They are a little lower and further forward than the stock ones. Also, wider and much less of a dropped angle, so should be a lot more comfortable and give me a little more leverage and weight on the nose Image
Pictures or it didn't happen. I want to see the receipt.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Cold in the man cave this morning :thumbdown: but progress swing arm off, rear shock off bearings on suspension unit appear to be ok clean up and regrease looking at replacing shock will have to be a YSS or Hagon due to budget but must be better than the stock item?
Storming About :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Went to bike show.

Think the organisers were having a laugh when they put these 2 stands side by side.
Motorcycle funerals limited on the left and. Two wheels for life on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Stripped the stage 2 engine down to the bottom end. Nothing obvious that would cause the power loss - no bent valves, cam timing looked OK, bores fine, pistons too. So on to splitting the cases and seeing what that shows up.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

On Saturday I refitted the Penske shock to my Storm after having had it serviced along with the bottom mounting eye replaced (Mono).

Sunday. Oh boy what a DIFFERENCE :D
I had refitted the OEM shock with my Maxton weight related spring so I could still use the bike while my Penske shock was away for servicing, the OEM shock didn't feel as bad as I was expecting when I road tested it.

All I can say is, the freshly serviced Penske shock is like night and day difference compared to the OEM shock even with the Maxton spring fitted to it.

A very happy bunny,

Chris.

PS. Service write up here: viewtopic.php?p=495496#p495496
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good result Chris, well done. Glad you were happy with the service they offered as well :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF