what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Jamoi »

I've just drained the coolant (oil was already drained) and removed my clutch plates.

Now I've got to remove the scabby clutch cover gasket, while the new friction plates soak in fresh oil, ready for fitting and filling up tomorrow Image

Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:08 pm I've just drained the coolant (oil was already drained) and removed my clutch plates.

Now I've got to remove the scabby clutch cover gasket, while the new friction plates soak in fresh oil, ready for fitting and filling up tomorrow Image

Try a soaking of WD-40 & use a plastic or wood scraper... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Was gonna do a coolant change on the Murvinator...

Was out & about on it on Thursday, quite a lot of stop go traffic & stop lights around Chatham & noticed it was running a bit hot...

When I got home I had a look at the coolant overflow bottle & It was a bit manky to say the leaste...I'd discribe it as a brown sludge... 8O

So order up some coolant which turned up late yesterday... :thumbup:

I had a spare coolent res which I had taken off Custurd & gave that a soak H2o & Harpic x10 but that wasnt compleatly clean when I draind it out today. Another soak with bleach & hot water today has sorted it out.

So I didn't do the coolant change today after all...

I did however strip & clean one of the old callipers off the Murvinator having put a set of 4Fi's on it...Had a bit of a fight with one of the pistons & ended up changing all the seals & a couple of the pistons...Only ended up doing one of them as I'm a lazy scrote & it's not like I havent got much spare time on me hands... :lol: :lol:
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamoi wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:08 pm I've just drained the coolant (oil was already drained) and removed my clutch plates.

Jamie ... top tip with clutch cover gasket. put a thin layer of grease on one side leave the other side dry. then when you pull it apart next time the gasket will be stuck to the dry side but will separate easily from the side that was greased without tearing. so you can reuse over and over again :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:01 pm Was gonna do a coolant change on the Murvinator...

Was out & about on it on Thursday, quite a lot of stop go traffic & stop lights around Chatham & noticed it was running a bit hot...

When I got home I had a look at the coolant overflow bottle & It was a bit manky to say the leaste...I'd discribe it as a brown sludge... 8O

So order up some coolant which turned up late yesterday... :thumbup:

I had a spare coolent res which I had taken off Custurd & gave that a soak H2o & Harpic x10 but that wasnt compleatly clean when I draind it out today. Another soak with bleach & hot water today has sorted it out.

So I didn't do the coolant change today after all...

I did however strip & clean one of the old callipers off the Murvinator having put a set of 4Fi's on it...Had a bit of a fight with one of the pistons & ended up changing all the seals & a couple of the pistons...Only ended up doing one of them as I'm a lazy scrote & it's not like I havent got much spare time on me hands... :lol: :lol:
Careful with bleach, it will make the plastic brittle.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

New bearing and dust seals fitted to new seconhand front wheel newly powder coated, 90 dergee valve fitted, leave old wheel in while refurbing front calipers.
Storming About :thumbup:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Put a windshield deflector and a Blue Flame endcan on the Beemer, sounds nicer and the wind no longer hits me square in the grid :)

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Fitted new plugs . Did a bit of body work . Tidied garage and tool box .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mjvw wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:37 am Yesterday managed to get the sprocket carrier collar out of the bearing, fitted new sprocket carrier bearing and dust seal, so piano black powder coated rear wheel now back in.

Now have decided to have my spare swing arm powder coated in satin black, today old scabby front wheel out, putting new bearings in the newly powder coated front wheel to refit.

But before that fitting new fork brace following the guide onsite, making progress :thumbup:

You're making good progress :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Stripped down The Murvinator for a coolant refresh & wanted to change the coolant bottle.

Mate what a faf to get the old one out & the new one in... :lol: :lol: Got there in the end only reall issue is I hamfistedly managed to snap the spigot off the rad that the overflow pipe fits on to...Bugger... Lashed something up but will need a rad swap at some stage.

With the flat bars on I had fitted a longer throttle cable but wasnt happy with the adjustment...It was full out at the top end so whilst I had it all apart I adjusted it at the carb end...Only went & stripped the thread on the adjuster...Bugger bugger bugger... Tried it with a Storm one but it's just too short. Not good when you start the bike & it revs up to 4k... 8O

Todays post is sponsored by The Hamfisted Bodge Merchant Co.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:22 pm Stripped down The Murvinator for a coolant refresh & wanted to change the coolant bottle.

Mate what a faf to get the old one out & the new one in... :lol: :lol: Got there in the end only reall issue is I hamfistedly managed to snap the spigot off the rad that the overflow pipe fits on to...Bugger... Lashed something up but will need a rad swap at some stage.

With the flat bars on I had fitted a longer throttle cable but wasnt happy with the adjustment...It was full out at the top end so whilst I had it all apart I adjusted it at the carb end...Only went & stripped the thread on the adjuster...Bugger bugger bugger... Tried it with a Storm one but it's just too short. Not good when you start the bike & it revs up to 4k... 8O

Even with the Storm throttle cable running outside of the fork leg :?:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:36 pm
MacV2 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:22 pm Stripped down The Murvinator for a coolant refresh & wanted to change the coolant bottle.

Chris.
As standard the routing is around the fork leg... Just dosn't reach that way. So went inside & turned the the bar end mounting inward, with it adjusted so theres no slop on the throtel its just too tight... Admitedly I might just be me being a duffus but it's all boxed back up now & will need pulling back to bits to sort it out...Couldnt be arsed to do that yesterday. So in the mean time I've order a new Fireblade cable as that should be longer & I'll sort it out when that arrives...
___Norwegian___

Post by ___Norwegian___ »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:33 pm
___Norwegian___ wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:22 pm Oh...yes, have to drain the fork and change the oil...5W or 10W?
7.5 weight worked best for me, with a 135 air gap.
:thumbup:
Im on my 25'th motorcycle :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:58 am
sirch345 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:36 pm

Chris.
As standard the routing is around the fork leg... Just dosn't reach that way. So went inside & turned the the bar end mounting inward, with it adjusted so theres no slop on the throtel its just too tight... Admitedly I might just be me being a duffus but it's all boxed back up now & will need pulling back to bits to sort it out...Couldnt be arsed to do that yesterday. So in the mean time I've order a new Fireblade cable as that should be longer & I'll sort it out when that arrives...
I think you'll find most of us who have done the flat bar conversion (me included) have the throttle cable(s) running outside of the forkleg, however what you are intending to do by purchasing a Fireblade cable is in my opinion a better option. Which model and year Fireblade throttle cable have you ordered :?:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 pm

I think you'll find most of us who have done the flat bar conversion (me included) have the throttle cable(s) running outside of the forkleg, however what you are intending to do by purchasing a Fireblade cable is in my opinion a better option. Which model and year Fireblade throttle cable have you ordered :?:

Chris.
'92-'95 Bit of a punt TBH see if it's any good when it turns up... Will mesure up before even picking up any spanners...Got the one that came off & an old Storm one to compare against...