Hi, from Sunny(ish) Norfolk

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
flak monkey

Hi, from Sunny(ish) Norfolk

Post by flak monkey »

Hi all

Thought I would join up as I am thinking about getting a Firestorm in the next month or so.

Currently riding an SV650 and fancy a change to something bigger, but sticking with the twins. So its a toss up between a VTR and a TL to be honest. Not much in the insurance costs but I have found a nice 50th anni VTR for the right money. Sadly that means I need to shift my SV quick...

The VTR has had the cam chain and tensioner sorted. Its covered 46k miles, anything else I should check for? It looks well looked after anyway.

Anyway, looking forward to a change of bike!

David
Not what you think...
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Hi, from Sunny(ish) Norfolk

Post by cupasoop »

Hello there.

flak monkey wrote: I have found a nice 50th anni VTR for the right money.
It's not blue with an orange stripe is it?
Rich.

flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

No, its a proper red one! :D
Not what you think...
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

flak monkey wrote:Hi all

Thought I would join up as I am thinking about getting a Firestorm in the next month or so.

Currently riding an SV650 and fancy a change to something bigger, but sticking with the twins. So its a toss up between a VTR and a TL to be honest. Not much in the insurance costs but I have found a nice 50th anni VTR for the right money. Sadly that means I need to shift my SV quick...

The VTR has had the cam chain and tensioner sorted. Its covered 46k miles, anything else I should check for? It looks well looked after anyway.

Anyway, looking forward to a change of bike!

David
When sitting on the bike, the right had side under the rear end plastics thats where the rectifier lives, you can see it with the seat removed, if has fins on it then it has been replaced with an aftermarket, or Yam R1/R6 rect, if not it has still got the old Honda one, I would recommend changing it right away if you purchase the bike.

Might be 60 quid straight away if you buy an after market, less if you convert it to a Yam R1/R6 but if it goes wrong it will kill the rec, the battery and there are some cases on here that it has cooked the instrument circuit board as well.

She will have a clatter from the bottom of the engine, should go when you pull the clutch in, run the bike and make sure the fan kicks in cause these bike run hot as you should be aware with the SV, being the same configuration.

Its not a fault with the bike, but worth checking the head hearings, they have normal bearings as standard and tend to wear, tapered bearing are a good upgrade, and are adjustable.

When riding the bike, if she coughs(and that is the only way you can describe it) its not serious its would be my bikes way of telling me that the carbs nead balancing, Carbtune is a worthy investment for the future, I pain 60 quid, and I used it at least 5 time in 6000 miles. but there are plenty of people on here that would balance them if they live nearby.

Small cracks in the fairing, around the radiator holes are commpn, because the plastics get brittle, I will be booking mine in at my dads for the fiberglass reinforcement program. lol

cant think of anything else at the mo.
YETI

Post by YETI »

weve been chatting about this very subject
chances are it is genuine as its a lot of hassle to make a fake due to the pedigree of parts,and paint job !
i myself am awaiting confirmation as to whether or not mine is or isnt as its been f*cked around with
my advise would be check it has all the correct elements ( ie: aftermarket parts ) according to the company that did the work all the bikes originally had certificates to prove as well,
"if hes got this rip his arm off" ,
theV5 document wont show as anything other than ..vtr /red
as you say it has been looked after so sounds like a good one . :thumbup:
regards
YETI..
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Just been into a local dealers and they have a very nice Firestorm, yellow (I am cursed with yellow vehicles! :twisted: :twisted: ) so I have decided to go with that in the end. I am not sure the 50th anni one was a genuine one after looking at what it should have had on it.

The bike place made me a very good offer on my SV650 (same as I have it advertised for privately)

Its a 2002, fairly standard bar a couple of Micron cans, lowers and mini indicators. The cans may have to go though to keep the insurance man happy so I'll be on the look out for a pair of standard ones! Will find out when I finish getting quotes tomorrow!
Not what you think...
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Welcome to the forum young man,it's all good stuff
Ride Safe. :thumbup:
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks everyone :)

What is the extent of the CCT issue on these engines? The bike I should be putting a deposit on tomorrow has done 19k miles.

Cheers :)
Not what you think...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome, and yellow is good.........at least 2 of my bikes are yellow :thumbup:

CCT's are a lottery, there is no set time to change. as soon as you get it, have them out and fit a stopper [follow the workshop link] and you can ride in peace as that makes them fail safe.
AMcQ
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks, will see if I can find the link.

I seem to be having a run on yellow vehicles wierdly. No reason for it really, just what comes along at the time!

Yellow SV
Yellow Seat Leon
Yellow kit car
Yellow VTR...

8O
Not what you think...
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

bazza696 wrote:
When sitting on the bike, the right had side under the rear end plastics thats where the rectifier lives, you can see it with the seat removed, if has fins on it then it has been replaced with an aftermarket, or Yam R1/R6 rect, if not it has still got the old Honda one, I would recommend changing it right away if you purchase the bike.

Might be 60 quid straight away if you buy an after market, less if you convert it to a Yam R1/R6 but if it goes wrong it will kill the rec, the battery and there are some cases on here that it has cooked the instrument circuit board as well.

She will have a clatter from the bottom of the engine, should go when you pull the clutch in, run the bike and make sure the fan kicks in cause these bike run hot as you should be aware with the SV, being the same configuration.

Its not a fault with the bike, but worth checking the head hearings, they have normal bearings as standard and tend to wear, tapered bearing are a good upgrade, and are adjustable.

When riding the bike, if she coughs(and that is the only way you can describe it) its not serious its would be my bikes way of telling me that the carbs nead balancing, Carbtune is a worthy investment for the future, I pain 60 quid, and I used it at least 5 time in 6000 miles. but there are plenty of people on here that would balance them if they live nearby.

Small cracks in the fairing, around the radiator holes are commpn, because the plastics get brittle, I will be booking mine in at my dads for the fiberglass reinforcement program. lol

cant think of anything else at the mo.
thanks for the advice :) will check those bits tomorrow and if there's any fixes needed I'll get the parts ready!

David
Not what you think...
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Hi and welcome!

Have a read of this:
http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 32#p149552

And here's the stopper mod write-up:
sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard TempKiwi :!: :D

This is what I did, I think this is the same idea as Del's (delmeekc)

(1) Set-up engine on compression stroke at TDC aligning all timing marks just the same as if you were replacing the CCT's.

(2) I made up a copy of the Honda locking key, details from the Haynes workshop manual. Using the key turn the worm in the rear CCT clockwise 1/4 of a turn and lock off, then remove CCT. On the front CCT turn the worm clockwise 1/2 a turn and lock off, then remove the CCT.
(The difference of 1/4 turn for the rear and 1/2 a turn for the front CCT is due to the fact that one CCT tightens up and the other slackens off when in use. So basically I've allowed 1/4 of a turn free play, allowing for expanding/shrinking of the different metals etc as they get hot when in use.)

(3) Next I removed the plunger pin so you can remove the plunger head see diagram below.

(4) You then need to work out what length rod you need to fill space 'A' see diagram. I used a piece of aluminium rod only a fraction smaller than the inside diameter of the plunger itself.

(5) Once you have the correct length rod you can then put it all back together.

I've just done the stopper mod myself - better late than never!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks for that, appreciate it :)

Finalised the deal on the bike this morning. Should be collecting it next weekend all being well!

Few minor mods. Fairing lowers, Pazzo levers, hugger (not fitted in pics), mini indicators all round and iridium screen.

The insurance co seems happy to cover the exhausts for an additon £40, so I think I'll leave them fitted. :D

Roll on next weekend!
Not what you think...
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the bikes. They are great fun provided you keep in mind the attitude you had with the SV. Its not a race bike and wont behave like one.
:thumbup:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Flak monkey, that is very nice.... for a yeller one :wink:

Seriously, nice lookin bike - I know you're gonna love it!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!