My 127" big twin project (56k warning!)

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
flak monkey

My 127" big twin project (56k warning!)

Post by flak monkey »

OK, so I am not a sports bike person at heart, and the big twin stuff is what really draws me. But using one as a daily ride isnt so clever, so thats where the VTR fits in :)

This is my other project. Might not be to most peoples tastes on here. But hey, you never know.

I sold my kit car last year to fund this project, and so far its been one of the best things I have ever done. Gives me a chance to hone my fabrication and machining skills some more too :)

So it started off like this, custom frame built by my local frame builder at Custom Cycle Developments:

38 deg, 3" up, 0" out solid mount Softail frame

For 250 rear tyre and 4" over forks

This the engine, 127" (2.1litre) Ultima. 140bhp and 145lbft

Some forks and wheels

Engine and box dropped in

The rear mudguard was cut and shut so it followed the rear wheel properly. Started off fitting like this:

After attacking with the plasma cutter, angle grinder and then welder it fitted like this:

Fitted up the belt primary

Swapped the standard clutch release cover for a hydraulic one:

The set about fabricating the oil tank and battery box. Turned myself up an aluminium cap and the mounting bosses.

And thats pretty much as far as I have got with it.

Also drawn up the forward controls and had all the plate parts laser cut. I now just have to turn up the rest of the parts from some steel bar so I can weld them all together.

I have loads more parts, but nothing yet fitted up to the bike. Been building since just before xmas, so theres about 3 months worth of work above :)

Just waiting to get the fuel tank on order next week so I can crack on with the bars and other major components!
Not what you think...
Kev L

Re: My 127" big twin project (56k warning!)

Post by Kev L »

Just like an episode of American Chopper but without the OCC lads shouting at each other! That looks nice fella.
It's not my taste but I love looking at anything with two wheels that people spend time and imagination on.
Well done. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

looking forward to the next episode. Will you get others to make the fuel tank etc or will you fabricate yourself?
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks chaps :)

Fuel tank I am buying in. Obviously I made the oil tank. I dont have the equipment to make the style of tank I want unfortunately. I will probably end up modifying whatever I buy anyway to make it fit just right!

I make everything I can though. Hence not buying forwards and oil tank etc.
Not what you think...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

its occ in slow mo
good project keep the pics coming :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Like the lads have said, just like OCC but without the steroid induced rage! :)

Impressed with the fabrication, scared by the ground clearance and the width of the open primary belt!
AMcQ
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks again.

About 20miles from Mildenhall, a bit further to Lakenheath.

The ground clearance isnt that bad its about 5.5" to the primary. And the exhaust hangs low the other side so right handers would be about the same. Its not exactly designed to go round corners that quick, more a relaxed chug along sort of bike. But should give most sports bikes a run for their money along the straights :twisted: Power wheelies on a custom? 8O 8O

Its going to end up a street rod style, very low, drag bars etc. I want to be able to use it in the summer. Though if you think 100mile tank range on a VTR is bad, I am betting on this doing about 25mpg and with a 3 gal tank.... :thumbup:
Not what you think...
Karl_h

Post by Karl_h »

Hi FM,

If you've got time would you be able to put together a post on how you got started with the planning of putting the bike together?

Any useful sites with good advice etc.

It's something I've always wanted to build, not sure I'm man enough for an Ultima lump tho! Finding the info to plan building one is tricky, I'm probably just looking on the wrong forums!

Cheers
Karl

Oh its stunning by the way, very jealous!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

bahco socket set ftw :clap:
quality tools :thumbup:

looks an awesome build - keep the pics coming :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

All my socket sets and spanners are Bahco. I wouldnt use much else to be honest, though I must get a bigger range of imperial now :lol: . Plus its all six sided stuff so good for those stubborn nuts 8O
Hi FM,

If you've got time would you be able to put together a post on how you got started with the planning of putting the bike together?

Any useful sites with good advice etc.

It's something I've always wanted to build, not sure I'm man enough for an Ultima lump tho! Finding the info to plan building one is tricky, I'm probably just looking on the wrong forums!

Cheers
Karl

Oh its stunning by the way, very jealous!
Sure thing.

I am a member on a few custom forums, most active on
http://britchopper.co.uk/forum/index.php

The more detailed build thread is on there, but you would have to join up to see it.

To start off I sketched up the overall look I wanted to achieve, just showing the sort of rake etc I wanted. Also decided what sort of frame and drivetrain I wanted as there are a few (solid mount, FXR, Dyna or sportster) Sportster being the cheapest option, then solid mount. FXR and Dyna work out a bit more expensive but you end up with a rubber mount engine which would cut vibration a bit... Then you also need to consider softail or hardtail. I went for softail as I wanted to be able to make the most of the bike on the roads in this country, and I value my lower spine :lol: Finally decide what engine/drivetrain to use. Obviously there are several Harley engines to choose from the most popular being the Evo engine which was fitted in everything to the 883 sportster to the big twin stuff although the engines were slightly different. Theres also older engines like the Shovel head to consider or the newer twin cam.

This is the sketch I originally did

Then approached a local frame builder. Specifically Briz at Custom Cycle Developments. Talked about what I wanted, showed him the sketch and he took it from there. I decided on a solid mount softail frame to take an Evo style engine.

http://www.customcycledevelopments.com/

Queue an anxious wait for my frame to be built.

In the mean time I started buying bits and pieces as they came up for a reasonable price. A lot of parts imported from the USA (engine, box, shocks, front end etc etc) I also used these guys for a few parts

http://www.harleycustom.co.uk/

Nick there is very helpful, and their prices are comparable to importing stuff yourself.

Not sure I can tell you much more, if you do have any specific questions though, just ask. This is my first Harley custom build, so I am still learning a lot as I go on as well!
Not what you think...
Karl_h

Post by Karl_h »

No that's perfect mate cheers. I'll sign up to britchoppers to see the build thread.

The idea I've got in my head is something along the lines of the new 48 sportster Harley bought out last year.

Bit more planning and lots more saving yet!

Thanks again for the reply very interesting!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FM, a very interesting and professional looking build. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Chris.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Got the rest of the bits made for the forward controls, and welded some of it together. Will be making the foot pegs tomorrow along with the pegs for the levers too. They will be aluminium, I think if I were doing it again I would have made the forwards themselves from aluminium as well. But there we go.

All the pivots are on 2 sealed ball bearings, so its all nice and smooth :)

Bits for the left side:

Bits for the right side:

Been a little busy doing lots of odd jobs today, but still found some time to work on the forward controls...

Turned the 2 pegs for the levers..

Made up a pushrod for the rear master cylinder and had a bit of a play around getting the alignment right. All seems to work now, will require some creativity to make the pegs level again. Nothing that cant be solved though :)

And now its coming together. Once I get the footpegs made I can finally weld the lever on.

Obviously the bolts are going to be changed, and theres a proper end cap to go on rather than a bolt and washer :lol:

Actually happy with the results of my TIG welding for a change, the practice is paying off slowly. :lol:

And its finished

Just to finish off some milling for the gear shifter now, hopefully finish it this weekend.
Not what you think...
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Blimey, the size of that brake lever! You wont need to push it, instead lift the damn thing whilst going! More like a hand brake effect :twisted:

Nice build though bud, look forward to seeing it progress.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Personally, I wouldnt choose a choppers or custom, but loved reading through that thread, I admire the determination and skill that must be needed to do a project like this. Its all very interesting and looking forward to reading more as you progress with it.

Good luck mate.