Gone and got another bike...

General Bike chat
mattster

Post by mattster »

.....In addition to the Storm at the moment!! :D

1998 Thunderace - Really wanted to get one last year, but I couldn't find anything decent, so ended up with the Storm! Found this one last week though at a great price and just had to have it :thumbup:

Only thing is... I can't justify two bikes for long.... :think:

Anyone had an 'Ace before? Opinions/Pro's/Con's appreciated!! :thumbup:
storminateacup

Re: Gone and got another bike...

Post by storminateacup »

Don't part with the Storm :Ball Kick:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
mattster

Post by mattster »

FirestormMike wrote:Guy who comes out with us on one can squeeze 200 miles from a tankful. Nice reliable lump in them. :thumbup:
Aye, it'll do 170+ miles to a tank easily, it looks awesome (in my opinion), it's rapid, but it's not as comfy as the storm and not a v-twin....

I'm going to have to spend the next few weeks riding them both back to back. Anyone free for a run out somewhere? :wave:
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

Hi mattster,

Im in stranraer so you want a blast just call me.... :thumbup:

ed
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

ohhh didnt see the dates .lol
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Nice bike. I recall reading somewhere they have an affinity for burning oil, however....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

had my chunderace for 3 yrs! another very underated bike imho!! never had a days trouble from her :thumbup: although never got that milage out of mine :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
snipper

Post by snipper »

cracking bikes ....... bit big and heavy by todays standards but fast as hell and like sitting in an armchair :)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... ct1051.jpg
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

nice. used to have its predecessor the fzr 1000 . comfy quick n ooohh so smooth.. loved it to bits till i blew the motor :oops:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:Nice bike. I recall reading somewhere they have an affinity for burning oil, however....
Yes I agree. Keep an eye on this. A mate of mine used to own one of these and it did burn oil quite rapidly :thumbdown: Apart from that it used to go well :thumbup:

Chris.
mattster

Post by mattster »

Planned on spending the past 2 weeks riding both bikes back to back, allowing me to decide which one gets to stay in the garage and which one gets evicted.... :roll:

Unfortunately (for the Ace...) those 2 weeks started with me having an early morning ride on the Storm over the Glennifer Braes - glorious sunshine with no other traffic about..... Since then, the mileage tally is roughly as follows:

Storm - 850 miles
Ace - 14 miles... yes - 14.

I've just not gelled with it at all. :thumbdown: It looks fantastic, it's reasonably comfy, it's soooo quick... but.... it's a heavy old unit to move about and really needs a firm shove to get it into a corner.

Before packing it off to ebay just yet, I'm going to give it another couple of weeks.

The Storm really needs the valve clearances checked, so I've stuck it into the back of the garage, wedged behind some pushbikes, ladders, the bbq and thrown the keys over the hedge.

Hopefully that'll give me enough time to do 100 miles or so, so I feel like I've given it a proper chance....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i think the yam would come into its own loaded up with camping gear with the mrs on the back.... comfy long distance touring bike... a good excuse to get away for a long weekend :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote:i think the yam would come into its own loaded up with camping gear with the mrs on the back.... comfy long distance touring bike... a good excuse to get away for a long weekend :biggrin
Load the mrs with the camping gear on the train, meet her there.

Much better chance to gel with the bike that way...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gilson

Post by gilson »

I'm sure the ace would respond well to some modern Tyres to quicken the steering.

I've always liked them too.
No bike (yet).
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

When I sold the R1 I thought about getting one of those, before deciding on a firestorm.

It sounds to me as though deep down you want the Yam bike more than the storm and thats why you're giving it a second chance. Personally I would go with the storm purely for the fact that it is a twin that sounds and looks awesome. I can see the benefits to the Yam though...