Honda Service Shocker

Best deals in town
delmeekc

Honda Service Shocker

Post by delmeekc »

Nearly finish servicing a Y2K storm with 44k on the clock that's had a full Honda service history and was MOT'd 2 months ago and serviced 5k ago, also had a rear cct recently and a clutch slave cylinder. Also the front wavey disks had worn out and the original front disks had been put back on, the owner also complaining about brakes coming on whilst cornering and bike handlin like a dog running wide. The owner has had it from new and so the only hands that have been on it as far as I'm aware are Honda's, check this out.

Have carrier out a full 16k service and ended up changing well loads of stuff. I had to change the battery and reg/rect but that was just parts failure.

First off I start the bike up and bloody hell there's an anvil in the front cylinder. Bad start.

ENGINE:
Whilst doing the valve clearances I notice a problem with the rear cct, crank the engine over by hand and the cam chain rides up on the cam sprockets as the valves start to close, doh, change the cct and fixed. Found loads of sealant in the hole where the cct fits. I think this caused the cct to stick, why didn't they just put a new gasket on.

Front cylinder cam sprockets will not line up, they are about 5 degrees out, oops, the cam chain had stretched by 10 to 15mm. when I remove the alternator cover I find at the bolts covered in cooper slip, umm, not like that from the factory. So either Honda found the problem and couldn't get the case off or they got the case off but couldn't undo the flywheel from the crank or just got confused. Someone had been playing with the case, err. Anyway off with the flywheel and in with a new cam chain and cct and noise gone, timing now correct and engine sweet as.

Oil was like sh1t, took three flushes to clean it all up.

K&N oil filter had never been oiled and took some cleaning but is now fine, dooh, but they was wondering what the red stuff was for.

carbs way out of balance, had this with every dealer serviced bike, once balanced the tickover goes up by 500 to 1000 rpm. I also put in a vacuum take off into the front cylinder and leave it there blanked off so it's easy to balance the carb without removing the screw. Just order the "joint boost and washer" that is used on the rear cylinder for the vacuum take off that operates the fuel tap.

CLUTCH:
went to bleed the clutch, and err no fluid in resevoir, put some in and then oops gone. check the slave cylinder and after prising it out, twas stuck in with corrosion and thick green brake fluid dry gunk stuff. Seals gone and everything covered in sh1t. Give it all a good clean and in with a new en, job done works fine and the fluid now stays in the resevoir. Guess they should had cleaned it first before they replaced it and it might have lasted longer.

FRONT END:
Checked a few things, caliper pistons are seized and corroded big time, probably why it ate the wavey disks. Brake hoses are too long, about 50mm and are virtually kinking when the forks are compressed, hence braking when cornering. In the bin with the calipers and the hoses. Stuck on a pair of calipers and made some new hoses, sorted. Also forks are set too long, the ring (external circlip thing) are sitting basically in the handle bar clamps, one was pinched in it. Hence the bike is steering real slow and running wide. Setup correctly now and all ok.

REAR END:
Wheel bearings completely shagged as is the rear disc, disc is below service limit and the piston is also seized. Freed the piston, fitted new disc and bearings and all ok now. There was also no fluid in the rear resevoir.

There was other stuff but no related to the running gear of the bike.

Guess you pays your money, not. I don't know where it was serviced or whether it was one dealer or a few but it's criminal the way some bikes are serviced.

Anyway nearly all done now, just all the plastics to put back on after a good test ride.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Jeez!
Sounds as if you had the "Fourth Bridge Syndrome" with that one.
See if you can get out of the owner Who's been doing his servicing, or not as the case might be. They sound like people to avoid.
Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Bloody Hell..............
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

8O 8O 8O
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
RQ

Post by RQ »

How come there are no Dell's in Ireland. I don't even have a nominated Honda garage within 100 miles of me. :roll:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

RQ - that may not actually be a bad thing...

:wink2
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Jaglifter

Honda Service Shocker

Post by Jaglifter »

Stopped taking mine to the local Honda Dealer after first service. I'd do it myself but (I guess like most people) want the "stamp" in the book. So I take it to a bike guy that I've known for ages (in fact he also does the lad's Go-Kart - a stroker).
Its the same with cars. Hopefully the bubble will burst soemtime soon!

Jaglifter
thumper0_17

Post by thumper0_17 »

sounds like that dealer wants to be avoided at all costs!!!!!!! :evil:
tony.wilde1

printing kit

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i wonder if i can find my old "john bull"prining kit???maybe could make a stamp ay? :lol:
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

What a dispicable, thoroughly immoral thought. :D

Did the last service myself, so if you ever find your kit let me know......... :P

Jaglifter
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
tony.wilde1

kit

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i think it went in the bin with me "john bull"puncture repair kit.. :lol: :lol: :lol: ..remeber them?orange patches galore and curling edges? :lol:
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Sure do! Got one in the shed somewhere - last used to fix yougest lads push bike.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Delmeekc;
Does that 'Storm have a service book with it + dealer stamp?

If not, I really can't imagine a genuine Honda dealer screwing THAT much up? (mind you some of them so called "official" Honda dealers don't look trustworthy at all do they?)

It obviously wasn't serviced by decent dealers such as Sutton Motorcycles, Streetbike etc (I'm from midlands)

:?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Did Dandare's (thinks that's his ID) VTR the other week and that had been to a dealer 2 or 3 times as it would tickover low, back fire, pop fart and stall. Umm, fixed it all and he said it runs fine now. Inlet rubber loose, carbs out of balance, pilot air screws way out, the rear was only 1/2 a turn out.

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

If we're singing praises, i bought my storm about 3 yrs ago, used to take it to my local honda dealer, (until i befriended Del).

Del now does everything on my bike.......