Touring & panniers & high level cans.......

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
essexbloke

Touring & panniers & high level cans.......

Post by essexbloke »

Having a bit of a dilema.....

Off to Assen in June to watch Rossi, having just fitted the high level cans, i've just realised that my oxford sport panniers wont sit properly anymore (high levels are lifting the panniers up & outwards).

The wife is coming as pillion, so not taking panniers is not an option. Nor is huge tailpack.........

i've already got a tank bag.....

Can anyone reccommend how to resolve this problem, without taking off the high levels and going back to farting standard cans for the trip???

surely there must be a way (short of tying the panniers down over the cans)

Thanks..... :cry:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

just a thought, never had to try but could you put panniers on petrol tank under tank bag and tied down somewhere?
t00lkit

Post by t00lkit »

How about getting the wife to carry a 90L rucksack, most of it will be her stuff anyway!!! :lol:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

I wouldnt put the panniers over the cans the heat will melt them through in no time, best option is buy a spare low level set of race cans...... oh by the way i just happen to have a spare set for sale... :lol:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I'm sure those throw over bags have a heat resistant pad/material on the back, I used to use a set with high level migs, just marked the cans. Would melt her lipstick though. Or you could leave her at home and take me (not literally). Check d underside of the bags. I ended up strenghening the tail unit as it busted the lugs off the bottom, which is normal as Mr honda made them out of chocolate.

Del.
rattler

Post by rattler »

Yeah, I'm with Del, leave her at home.....

Ian - how did you get on with those new indicators you got?? I've got a set of the MOST gorgeous ART high levels to fit so need li'l indicators...

Where d'you get 'em, how much, any problems fitting them etc?

Cheers

David
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Dave,

I can't remember where he got them but they are really well made and look good too, they are made from metal (thinks it's cast) and not the usual plastic shite. They have to be modified to take a 20w bulb so they flash at the right speed, I think the bulb supplied is only about 3 or 4W. I can get 20W halogen bulbs but have to modify the internals of the indicators to fit them, easy job though, can do it without the bike.

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Cheers all, leaving her at home isnt an option either, oherwise i dont get to go!!!!!!

Del m8.......with comments like that no wonder she thinks what she thinks........ :wink:

i have sort of "test fitted" the panniers with the high levels, they might be ok, (cans dont get that hot, i can hold them after a 50 mile run without getting burnt, but i was worried cos we'll be dong more like several hundred miles in a stint....

i dont think she'd be happy with a 90L rucksac either (even though yup most of the stuff would be hers...) prolly lose her off the back........actually........ perhaps.........anyone got a large rucksac i can borrow in June???? :wink:

Joking aside, Del, have you still got your Tankbag? Is it a huge one? could i borrow it? Might be better than the dinky oxford oner i've got...

i havnt even told her yet that the hairdryer isnt coming.....(could be a divorce in the making.. :? )

Dave, indicators came from "Bits & Pieces" in Baddow Road, (now called "Voyager"), do you want me to have a word with them, (i work about 100 yrds away), i have a feeling they might have been old stock.

I'll take some piccies of the rear, (the bike), and stick them in the gallery so you can see how they'd look..... it's the way to go..... and i know a guy who can fit/wire them up for you..... :wink:
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Just a thought, but just been out there in me lunch time, looking at the cans.

is it possible to buy heat resistant or reflective material ? cos i could then either line the panniers, or wrap the cans for the trip....problem solved.

Only need a little though, dont wanna be buying yards of the stuff.....
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I've got a Nonfango top-box rack gathering dust if that's any use to you??
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ian,

check ya work mail, cos the bag comes with the bike too.

Del.
rattler

Post by rattler »

Ian

Yep, if you are passing by that'd be cool - see if they still have some. No big if not cos I can swing by there tomorrow and see Jon anyway.

I think I know that same bloke - bit of a messer but he gets there in the end......
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

me too :cry:
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

firestorm_al wrote:I've got a Nonfango top-box rack gathering dust if that's any use to you??
have you got the box too???? How Much? , does it require any cutting about or refitting of anything else,

Del........YHM
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

essexbloke wrote:
firestorm_al wrote:I've got a Nonfango top-box rack gathering dust if that's any use to you??
have you got the box too???? How Much? , does it require any cutting about or refitting of anything else,

Del........YHM
I still use the box on my Bandit for commuting. The rack requires no cutting on the VTR it just bolts in place.

Al.