having a wobbler

General Bike chat
Spiderman32

having a wobbler

Post by Spiderman32 »

just got in from work after what can only be deiscribed as an interesting ride home :wtf:

pulled out of the car park onto the duel carrage way and its on, throttle open get out my way i want to get home only to find i have savage wobble come from the front end :thumbdown: it starts at about 25mph and gets alot worse at 100mph+ (of course thats on my very own PRIVATE land :bobby2: )

can't work out what it is but i didn't think that going home on the back wheel all the way would help find out or keep me any safer, so i carried on
the brakes are fine they aren't worped at least, balance weights on the front wheel look ok none missing, head stock bearings seem ok and wheel bearings seem ok.

tyre has plenty of life in it has anyone had a similer problem ? or any ideas

answers on the back of a post card and address to

the idiot who doesn't know whats wrong with his own bike
@ the idiots house
idiotville
pratt lane
stupid town
tw4 7t

:Shrug:
AMCQ46

Re: having a wobbler

Post by AMCQ46 »

tyre pressures, front wheel buckled?

is it all the time, only when braking, or only ywhen accelerating
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i just cured a high speed weave on mine by replacing both front & back wheel bearings.
head bearings recently done

if you are happy with the above.... tbh for what they cost id be tempted to replace them anyway.
check the condition of the swing arm bearings / bushes - can you move the rear wheel side to side / diagonal?

if its only under hard acceleration check the rear shock isnt set too soft
also check wheel alignment.

if all else fails, replace the tyres. makes a hell of a difference
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Spiderman32

Post by Spiderman32 »

its not under braking but its quite violent around 25/30mph if you take your hands off the bars its quite scary cause it really wobbly

would a steering damper help?

i was planing on striping the bike over winter cause it needs some cosmetic tidying plus i wanted to re-paint and change/re-place certain parts looks little that could be happening sooner rather than later!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Spiderman32 wrote:its quite violent around 25/30mph if you take your hands off the bars its quite scary cause it really wobbly

would a steering damper help?
you need to check the wheel is not buckled first off. it may have been kerbed hard.
check / replace wheel bearings, headstock bearings, swing arm bushes / bearings & tyres.
sounds a lot but all these are consumable items and are obviously past their best.
it should not be wobbling at such low speed.

fitting a damper will mask a dangerous defect, not fix it.

needs sorting asap. :Argue 1:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Hobastard

Post by Hobastard »

Tyre Pressure?? if it was ok going to work, then nasty on the way home, you probably picked up a nail or something.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

See if a balance weight hasn't fallen off?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Spiderman32, did you ever find out what was causing the problem :?:

Chris.
Spiderman32

Post by Spiderman32 »

still haven't found the problem just put up with it so far, but a mechanic friend thinks it could be a bearing somewhere on the back end swing arm or wheel but i won't know till next summer as i'm going to keep riding her till the full winter strip down but even then i might not know as i'm planing on re-placing all the bearings right through the bike.

just going on the basis of whats the worst that can happen :wtf:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fair enough Spiderman, thanks for the update :)

Chris.
planet--terror

Post by planet--terror »

Sounds like headstock bearings have gone there.Wouldnt be riding around on it till fixed,