FAO QFO abba thingy

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

FAO QFO abba thingy

Post by Jazzscot »

The vertical parts are 600mm long and the horizontal is 510mm. These are made using 50mm boxsection

I think I used 18mm threaded rod. The nut was welded 70mm from the top of the vertical I did one on both sides.

I used 20mm box section to make the legs. These were mounted 220mm from the bottom. The angle was a bit hit or miss but you dont want it leaning too far back or too upright (the pic should give you an idea)

You need to grind the threaded rod to a point so it fits inside the hollow on the frame nut thingy

The 17mm socket is welded to the other threaded rod

the socket fits on the nut on the other side of the frame.
I also welded some metal bar to the threaded rod as handles.

Hope this helps.

The welds have since been tidied up with an angle grinder but are still holding strong. :beer:

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tinysmall

Re: FAO QFO abba thingy

Post by tinysmall »

Think this is going to be my first job when I buy a welder. After a bit of practice of course. Where do you get the metal from? Never looked into it properly before.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Just my local hardware store. Im sure they sell fork handles there too.

Should be a metal supplier near to you, google is your friend. Think it cost about 20 quid all in. Im still practising my welding I enjoy burning things together.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
simo

Post by simo »

The original ABBA stand locates to the swinging arm pin/spindle. Have you made your upright sections longer to locate on engine mount? , if so good idea as the swinging arm can be removed. Don't think mine will have enough reach to locate because of the depth of the clutch cover. :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
qfo

Post by qfo »

Thanks a lot! I'll start building it as soon as possible!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

could you measure the distance between the inside edge of the legs and frame so we can get the angle right please m8...i'm going see if i can use 50mm box for the legs,welded onto the face of the frame as this might be alittle stronger

andi
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I shall do it tonight when I get home from work mate.

Im guessing you want the measurement of the bottom of the triangle that runs along the ground from end of leg to bottom frame (I hope that makes sense :? ) I could steal a protractor from school to tell you the angle too if that helps. I just kinda guessed when I made mine. It just needs to been enough of an angle to stop the weight of the bike pushing itself back off the stand.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

yeah thats the measurment i need...the idea of useing 50mm for the legs too is that with the added strength you should be able take the rear wheel out then jack the front up to remove the front too....leaving the jack in place to take the wieght of course.

thanks m8
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

The point on the frame that the stand attaches to is pretty much the fulcrum and it takes very little effort to lift the front off the ground and vice versa. Wouldnt to jack the front up at all a metal stand would do the business.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

125 mm is the dimension you require tatt my man.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

thankyou jazzscot...your a star m8
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Posted this on another thread recently
The support bar makes it a wee bit more awkward for storage but it is solid enough to take me sitting on it making brumm brumm noises with the swingarm and front end missing!!
Hope it helps

By storminben at 2011-08-18

By storminben at 2011-08-18
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!